Sleezy casts the Justice League

Tools    

In the Beginning...

Right. So, recently a rumor started floating around that Zack Snyder would be directing a Justice League film in conjunction with the upcoming Superman vs. Batman film. In all likelihood, it's true. Warner Bros. can't continue to sleep on its DC franchises while Marvel and Disney rake in the cash on Avengers-related films. We know Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck are, for better or worse, our Superman and Batman for this foray into the DC universe. But there's still so much that remains unknown.

I really enjoy trying to cast nerdy ensemble films like this before they really start getting fleshed out, and the time is definitely now for the Justice League. So I thought I would share who I would sign up if I was running this show.

I will post a new one each day until they're all revealed. I'm sticking with the main characters and I'll also include details about what the makeup of the film's plot would be, given that the story would need to be pretty stellar to make the film even watchable, much less compete with The Avengers. Hopefully it'll fairly entertaining for you equally nerdy folks.

So with that.... let's get it to it!

CAST LIST

In the Beginning...

MARTIAN MANHUNTER

The Manhunter is an alien shapeshifter from Mars who is inadvertently teleported to Earth by an astronomy researcher using an experimental "communication" device. Initially, he took the form of a human, naming himself "J'onn J'onzz" (John Jones) and adopting a private investigator persona that allowed him to right wrongs and contribute to the greater good.

In later stories, J'onn shed his human persona and became a more prototypical superhero. Gifted with a wide range of incredible powers, including flight, super-strength, telepathy, and the ability to phase through solid matter, the Manhunter becomes a "manager" of sorts for the Justice League and its orbiting base of operations, the Watchtower. This is the iteration of Martian Manhunter that was featured on the Justice League Unlimited cartoon show, which is how most non-comic book readers know him. I personally like the way he's portrayed in JLU—stoic, highly intellectual and analytic, emotionally flat, and possessing a natural physical elegance and grace that sets him apart from some of the beefier heroes. In my film, he would mirror this depiction. Therefore, I cast...

LANCE REDDICK

I can't think of anyone more fitting to play this role than Reddick. His characters, particularly his no-nonsense FBI special agent and division head Phillip Broyles on "Fringe", tend to possess the distinct qualities that can be found in the Martian Manhunter. Unnervingly tall and svelte physique (almost "alien"), grim face, piercing eyes. He's got a natural grace to his movement that seems a bit inhuman. He's incredibly sharp, analytical, emotionally restrained, and ultimately very righteous and respectable. He lords over the other characters like a guiding figure: stern but fatherly, icy but fiercely passionate.

~~~~

Alternate Choice: Carl Lumbly
An imposing actor with a bit of an "otherworldy" quality himself, Lumbly actually voiced Martian Manhunter on Justice League Unlimited. This alone makes him a worthwhile choice, although he's perhaps not the same caliber of actor that Reddick is, particularly in live-action work.

Probably, although I like the idea that he would be much more svelte and spindly as a contrast to the other heroes, and to accentuate his "otherworldliness."
I definitely see it. Solid pick there. I just hope they do the character justice (no pun intended), because he was really cool in the cartoons, where I first saw him.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

In the Beginning...

CAPTAIN MARVEL

Captain Marvel is the alter-ego of Billy Batson, a young radio news reporter (or in some stories, a child) was chosen by the ancient wizard Shazam to be a champion of good. Whenever Billy speaks the wizard's name, a magical lightning bolt strikes him, turning him into the adult superhero Captain Marvel, "the world's mightiest mortal."

Imbued with the wisdom of Solomon, the strength of Hercules, the stamina of Atlas, the power of Zeus, the courage of Achilles, and the speed of Mercury, Captain Marvel is a powerhouse able to rival the likes of Superman and other mighty heroes. In the Golden Age, Billy Batson and Captain Marvel are two different people with differing personalities. But in the 1980s, as comics began to take a darker and more complex turn, writers decided to make Captain Marvel and Billy one in the same. This created a unique twist for the character: the mind of a child in the body of an incredibly superpowered man.

This is the iteration of Captain Marvel I would bring to life in a Justice League film. I really like the volatile aspect of the character: that despite his golden-grinned exterior, he's still a naive and emotional youth who can crumble under real pressure or be corrupted and set against his friends. (This has been explored in several stories, including Alex Ross' Kingdom Come.) This sort of portrayal calls for an actor with a distinct look, a wonderful sense of charisma, and a sort of volatility that makes his smile seem almost unnerving. Therefore, I cast...

PATRICK WARBURTON

Patrick Warburton's name has come up countless times in discussions about various superheroes and who should play them. That shouldn't surprise. His face just seems to exude that Golden Age superhero persona. Although he's been mentioned for years as a candidate to play Superman, a lot of people think he's even more tailor-made to play Captain Marvel.

And it's not just the squinty eyes, the winning smile, the imposing physique, and the charismatic deep voice. All of that hits the nail on the head, absolutely. But Warburton lso a a slightly unnerving feel to every single one of his characters. He's absolutely hilarious in most everything he does, a veritable kid at heart (eh? eh?), but just look at those eyes. There's a darkness there, a threatening gaze, that I'd love to see Warburton explore. It would be a complicated role for him, as he's not known for doing much serious or complex character work. But it could be a breakout portrayal of a very dynamic and volatile superhero.

~~~~

Alternate Choice: Brandon Molale
Molale is a great option for the role if it needed to be cast younger, as the looks and physique are most definitely there. I'd be concerned, however, if he could bring the more complex aspects of the character to life. He's certainly an up-and-comer on the acting scene, so it's definitely possible. But he might be better suited to a more straightforward depiction of Captain Marvel.

Is Captain Marvel confirmed to be in the Justice League movie? He's definitely a character I'm interested in. Just something about a kid becoming a superhero is really appealing to me, and his powers are awesome as well!

Tough question: If they do go for the kid-turned-man approach, who could they cast as "Little Billy"?

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
You will probably pick better cast than WB and DC ...

In the Beginning...
Is Captain Marvel confirmed to be in the Justice League movie? He's definitely a character I'm interested in. Just something about a kid becoming a superhero is really appealing to me, and his powers are awesome as well!

Tough question: If they do go for the kid-turned-man approach, who could they cast as "Little Billy"?
Hmmm. It's always tough to cast kid actors and I don't pay much attention to the ones that are out there. Asa Butterfield (Hugo, Ender's Game) would be the easy pick, but he's British and he's got a more mature and intellectual quality that I think Billy Batson shouldn't have.

If I had to choose someone, I'd probably cast Griffin Gluck from "Back in the Game." I'm not terribly familiar with his acting, but he's 14 years old now and has the "all-American" quality that Billy Batson/Captain Marvel should have. So I'd say he fits the bill pretty well.

In the Beginning...

HAWKMAN and HAWKGIRL

Hawkman and Hawkgirl are the reincarnations of an Egyptian prince (Khufu) and princess (Chay-Ara) murdered long ago by the cruel Egyptian priest Hath-Set, who used a dagger forged from a magical metal called Nth metal. Because of the dagger's abilities, and the strong bond of love shared by Khufu and Chay-Ara, the two developed the ability to be reborn many times over the centuries.

The iterations depicted in the Golden Age are Carter Hall and Shiera Sanders. Both became superheroes, aiding the Justice Society and, later, the Justice League. Their capacity for flight is granted through the use of winged Nth metal-forged harnesses, and both prefer to battle with spears, flails, and other archaic weapons.

Hawkgirl (Shiera) is featured prominently on Justice League Unlimited, but her storyline on that show is a bit too heavy-handed for a singular Justice League film. In my movie, the two lovers would be depicted as a superhero duo who refuses to join the Justice League, preferring instead to work alone. Not long into the film, however, Hawkman would be killed, forcing Hawkgirl to face the prospect of living a life without her partner. Stricken with grief, she nevertheless joins the Justice League and becomes a somber, mysterious, and profoundly insightful member of the team.

For these two, I would cast...

JOE MANGANIELLO
NOOMI RAPACE

Joe Manganiello isn't the greatest actor around, but maybe he doesn't need to be. The guy very obviously needs to be playing a superhero. The fact that he's an impressive physical specimen notwithstanding, I like him for Hawkman because he's pretty tough and spirited on True Blood and I think that's what Hawkman needs to be. He's big, he's gruff, he's maybe a little quick to anger. He's a fighter. But he also loves his partner, and he wants to make the world better. Although I would kill the character off early in the film, I do think Manganiello would ingratiate himself well and serve as a pretty strong counterpoint for Hawkgirl's own characterization (namely her grief).

Hawgirl is often depicted as a redhead, but I completely ignored that in casting Noomi Rapace. Physically, I wanted someone who felt a bit exotic, as if she could be a descendant of Egyptian bloodlines (I feel Manganiello has a bit of this quality as well). But more than that, Rapace just exudes mystique. Her eyes are so expressive, able to portray naivety and a sense of ancient wisdom all at once. She's small, but seems to have a natural inner strength and emotional fortitude in every role I've seen her play. She's an actress who very intuitively plays characters who are tested. I really like that quality and I think she would be brilliant here.

~~~~

Alternate Choices: Jason Momoa and Kate Mara
Jason Momoa would probably do an admirable job here too, although he's a bit more "heightened" in his look and acting style. He wouldn't feel terribly realistic, I fear. Kate Mara is a decent actress with the trademark red hair that Hawkgirl usually has, though she's not quite as evocative and definitely isn't as good as Noomi Rapace. Also, while Manganiello and Rapace would pair really well onscreen, I feel Momoa and Mara would not.

In the Beginning...

AQUAMAN

Aquaman, as the name suggests, is a water-born superhero. He's the King of Atlantis and lord over all the oceans. A lot of fun has been made of Aquaman, given his fairly lame power of being able to communicate telepathically with sea life (as if mollusks have anything to say). But there have been efforts to improve his character in recent years.

Now possessing super-strength, super-swimming, and the ability to breathe underwater (not to mention a wicked triton), Aquaman has also become more of a sullen, brooding sort of hero. He's no longer interested in concerning himself with humanity's troubles on land, and only seldom aids the Justice League, which has burdened him with an ill reputation.

So, I cast...

ALEXANDER SKARSGARD

Besides the fact that the guy is freakishly tall and slender (the perfect build for a swimmer), Alex Skarsgard is one of those actors who just exudes a natural mystique that's alluring and unnerving all at once. (Look at those eyes!) He knows how to move, how to hangs his words, how to add that extra bit of weirdness that's unique and interesting. His characters on True Blood and Generation Kill are both just a bit warped, giving them that unpredictable and intimidating quality that I like for Aquaman. In fact, this is easily one of my most confident choices for this cast.

~~~~

Alternate Choice: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
This guys comes off as a bit bent too, which I like, and he's a tremendously gifted actor to boot. Best known for his Game of Thrones role these days, he's really got great presence and a personality that's a bit silly and unnerving all at once.[/quote]

In the Beginning...
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of him either, but I'm a sucker for the "classic" feel of the Justice League, and Aquaman definitely fits into that.

Not to mention, the opportunity of having Aquaman take down big baddie enemies with giant bludgeons of water is too good to overlook.

In the Beginning...

THE FLASH

The Flash, you probably already know, is a speedy superhero and major member of the Justice League. There have been four different characters to don the role of "The Flash." Wally West, nephew to Barry Allen (the Silver Age Flash), is the one featured in Justice League Unlimited. While visiting his uncle's laboratory, Wally becomes inadvertently exposed to electrically-charged chemicals, giving him the ability to move at incredible speeds.

Wally is also generally depicted as a witty, fun-loving jokester, although he's rarely relegated to the simple role of comic relief. Nevertheless, he's still a superhero, and a pretty awesome one at that. He's not blessed with super-strength like the others, but he's fearless and usually quite involved in the action.

So, I cast...

CHRIS PINE

It's no secret that Chris Pine is a bit of a goof. Although he's turning into a bit of an action star, he always finds a way to inject a bit of silliness into his roles (Smokin' Aces, Star Trek). As popular as he seems to be these days due to his natural fun-loving charm, I don't see him ever being a long-term leading actor. He works much better in an ensemble, and I think that makes him perfectly suited for The Flash. His comedic value notwithstanding, Pine still looks very much the part of a superhero. He's handsome, he's in good shape. In essence, Wally is a jokester, but he's still a hero and a fighter. As we've seen with his Captain Kirk, Chris Pine can balance those two dynamics perfectly.

~~~~

Alternate Choice: Michael Rosenbaum
Despite the fact that he cut his teeth playing Superman's nemesis on Smallville, Rosenbaum is perhaps better known these days for actually voicing The Flash on JLU. That alone would make him a popular choice among fans, who already associate his voice with the character.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of him either, but I'm a sucker for the "classic" feel of the Justice League, and Aquaman definitely fits into that.

Not to mention, the opportunity of having Aquaman take down big baddie enemies with giant bludgeons of water is too good to overlook.
Who really is fan of Aquaman? ...Let's putt joke aside,you are doing great casting here mate,keep it up,maybe they will look here for suggestions who knows.

In the Beginning...

GREEN LANTERN

Green Lantern is easily one of the most popular Justice League members around. Comic fans (and folks who saw the awful Ryan Reynolds film) know that Green Lantern is a recruit of the Green Lantern Corps, an interplanetary peacekeeping force made up of a vast assortment of alien races. Each Green Lantern wields his or her power through the use of a super-powered ring, which grants the wearer the ability to conjure objects of any size and shape, including shields.

To date, there have been six human Green Lanterns. Hal Jordan, the Silver Age Lantern, is one of the most popular. But John Stewart, the Lantern featured in Justice League Unlimited, has become one of the best iterations of the character in today's era of comics. I chose to cast this version because he's absolutely awesome and he's got the potential to be something of a leader for this early Justice League, as I like the idea of Superman being a little bit ill-equipped to lead the team at the beginning because he's still learning how to be a superhero).

Therefore, I cast...

IDRIS ELBA

Really, do I have to explain why this actor is perfect for the role? Yes, he's been appearing in everything lately. But you won't find a cooler, more charismatic, and more polished personality than Idris Elba. He's got a very genteel, "noble" quality about him that would serve the role well. And his recent role in Pacific Rim shows that he can portray a military-driven character, a noted advantage since John Stewart is a former member of the United States Marines. He just seems like a natural fit: capable fighter, sensible leader, voice of reason. That's Green Lantern. (In fact, I won't be surprised if he actually lands the role in the upcoming JLA film.)

~~~~

Alternate Choice: Common
A rapper by trade, Common was initially slated to play Green Lantern in a JLA film project that fell through. He's got great presence, but he's only appeared in a handful of films to date and wouldn't command the same attention in the role as Elba.

In the Beginning...
Like I said, you might get it. He's red hot right now and apparently he's stated publicly that he'd like to play the role. Here's hoping Warner Bros. isn't stupid (or cheap) and ponies up for him.