Winter Light
27.78%
5 votes
Aguirre: The Wrath of God
16.67%
3 votes
Tokyo Godfathers
18 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Fairly simple this time. Themes of yearning for and questioning purity are hard to accomplish in film. It's a relevant time, socially and seasonally, to spotlight a few, mostly multi-faceted genre wise, that did exceptionally well.

Lady Vengeance (2005)

To be ever-overshadowed by Oldboy (though Choi Min-Sik stars in this as well), the other two films in the Vengeance trilogy fit more along the arthouse side of the table, but Lady Vengeance is the poetic one, the least and most violent, and bleakly funny; its journey towards a woman's redemption includes shenanigans with prison mates, finding her orphaned child in Australia, and, of course, yearning revenge on a pedo, all captured in lovely snow and symmetry. Park Chan-Wook outdoes himself, to say the least.

Diary of a Country Priest (1951)

A sick priest is relocated to a village that scorns him, forcing him to retreat into his faith for comfort as he re-examines his views on human nature. Robert Bresson's direction is oblique and spiritually inclined, especially for him being an agnostic. He also makes the viewer imagine what's so bad about this village rather than showing it, but it works, and because it's a film based in first-person experience, it's all the more clever for it.

Winter Light (1963)

On the other spectrum, however, a priest becomes disillusioned after realizing he became a priest out of weakness and neurosis. The trials succeeding this realization become less about losing religious faith and more about him losing faith in living. Ingmar Bergman said himself this is the only film he made that he really liked.

Aguirre, The Wrath of God (1973)

Really old Werner Herzog flick, deals with a Spanish expedition in search of the gold in El Dorado. The film explores obsession in the context of sacrificing others for wants and the co-existence of animalistic behavior in the Amazonian jungle. Ambiguity, religion, and madness are deeply rooted in culture, as we are shown.

Tokyo Godfathers (2003)

Animation director and writer Satoshi Kon recently passed away, and it just so happens this underrated film in his repertoire fits the theme perfectly. Three vagabonds, a middle-aged man, a transvestite, and an orphan find a baby in a dumpster, and the rest of the film is essentially them running into absurd circumstances as they try to figure out how to do the right thing. A technical masterpiece in terms of animation as well as a wholly unique Christmas fairytale, Tokyo Godfathers is one of the most hilariously emotional films of the past decade.

I voted for Aguirre because I watched that recently and thought it was great and I have noticed that a few other members have watched it recently as well, I am going to probably post up a review soon and I would be interested to see what others think about it. All the other choices sound very interesting as well, I will admit though before reading this thread I had not even heard of some of them.

I've already watched two
Diary of a Country priest- while it's not a personal fav I highly encourage a watch
Aguirre, wrath of god- took a lot of work, but I found it hard to really enjoy, because of the lack of a decent plot IMO

I voted for Winter Light, it's a Bergman I wanted to watch for awhile

But since I love Oldboy so much I added the other two parts of vengeance trilogy to my instant queue

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Really hard one. I've seen all of them besides the animation movie. However, if I had to rank them, it would look something like this:

1. Aguirre, The Wrath of God
2. Winter Light
3. Lady Vengeance
4. Diary of a Country Priest

I love them all, so even the 4th movie is great.

International Woman of Mystery
Because OldBoy is one of my top favs, I watched Lady Vengeance and was hooked.

Really tough call, but I went with Lady Vengeance. Would've gone with Aguirre, but I've seen it already, and I usually like to vote for something new. Great choices, though.

I've already seen Aguirre and Winter Light, so I went with Lady Vengeance.

Looks like Lady vengeance is gonna win
I have no problem with that, it's easily available since its on Netflix instant, and I loved Oldboy. I'm excited to watch

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I would have voted for Tokyo Godfathers to see how it compares and contrasts with Three Bad Men, Wyler's Hell's Heroes and Boleslawski's and John Ford's Three Godfathers. They're all Christmas parables.