Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave

Hunt for the Wilderpeople

(2016, d. Taika Waititi)

+

What a lovely little film. The latest from Taika Waititi, director of What We Do in the Shadows and the upcoming Thor: Ragnarok, is a funny, quirky, sweet and touching slice of adventure and comedy. With its title chapters and a streak of absurdist humour running throughout there is a definite touch of Wes Anderson about the film, perhaps most closely resembling Moonrise Kingdom. In fact where I to sum up the film I might describe it as a bit like a live-action version of Up, directed by Anderson. As such I would definitely recommend to fans of his work. However even for those who struggle with his films (hey Vicky ) don't let that comparison put you off. Wilderpeople has much more of an edge to it than Anderson's typical output, and is lacking in the twee cosiness that can often mark Wes' work. As I said this is quite a touching, heartfelt film. What I liked about that though is that I felt the film earned those moments; they don't feel forced.

For the large majority of its running time the film is a two-hander between Sam Neill's grumpy Uncle Hec and Julian Dennison's husky, haiku-writing troublemaker. They may be a million miles apart in terms of screen experience (it was Dennison's third credit while Neill's credits now number 122 according to imdb) but they are both excellent and most importantly they work together fantastically well. Neill brings a lot of colour and character to the gruff, introverted Hec while Dennsion gives a wonderfully natural performance and displays some tremendous comic timing throughout. That kid made me laugh so many times. Rachel House is also a lot of fun as a demented, psychotically determined social worker, while Rhys Darby has a scene-stealing extended cameo as a reclusive and deranged survivalist.

The film does start quite slowly, leading me to wonder if it was going to significantly fail to live up to the hype of all its glowing reviews. However once the action moves into the bush and the characters find themselves on the run the film picks up and improves markedly. It also earns bonus points also for its fun, quirky soundtrack and some beautiful photography of the New Zealand wilderness

One of my favourite films of the year so far. In fact I'd currently have it as either my second or third favourite. Utterly charming. I can envisage this being a film that could really grow on me over time.

What If (2013)

Nice romantic movie (and I'm not a huge fan of these) that is loaded with great, kooky dialogue and great chemistry between Daniel Radcliffe and Zoe Kazan. Radcliffe plays a med school dropout who lives with his sister and takes care of her son while she works. His best friend, played by Adam Driver, advises him in the ways of dealing with the opposite sex and whether or not it's to be a fling or love, while Driver is involved with Mackenzie Davis, a free-spirited gal who also gives Radcliffe advice. Radcliffe and Kazan meet at a party at her apartment and there's an instant attraction, and they agree to be friends. How long they can remain just friends is the main thrust of the movie.

Radcliffe is attracted to Kazan but Kazan is engaged to a U.N. worker (played by Rafe Spall) who is more dedicated to his job than to Zoe. Also, Zoe's sister has just broken up with her boyfriend and wants Radcliffe for rebound sex. Like all romantic comedies, you pretty much know where it's going to end up but it's great getting there. All the actors do a fine job in this, and the humor is so good that even if you're not a romance movie fan, you'll go for the comedy.

Mary, Mary (1963)

Not bad slight romantic comedy with Debbie Reynolds and Barry Nelson as a divorced couple brought together one night to go over expenditures for tax purposes and of course end up having feelings for each other again. This, despite Nelson being engaged to the beautiful Diane McBain and Reynolds being wooed by the suave Michael Rennie. Nelson's lawyer, played by the witty Hiram Sherman, is also there at Nelson's apartment to oversee the tax problems. Michael Rennie is the downstairs neighbor of Nelson who instantly falls for Debbie when he comes to call and there you have the setting for the whole movie; the two couples with conflicting feelings, plus the lawyer along to provide extra laughs.

It's not a great comedy by any means but it is nice to watch these pros go through their paces. But it becomes static in parts, due probably to it mainly taking place in one room, thus giving away its stage play origins. So the director threw in a couple of outdoor scenes in the snow, I guess just to break up any monotony. I don't know if he succeeded but the movie's still worth a look for its stars.

No Country for Old Men (2007)
If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?

My personal favorite movie of all time, the Coen Brothers deliver their best film to date, and one of the most thrilling movies I've ever seen. Javier Bardem's performance is so transforming and unrecognizable, it rides the line on the same caliber of Heath Ledger's Joker, he isn't playing Anton Chigurh, he is embodying him and becoming the surreal force that he encompasses. The Coen Brothers themselves give the best work of their careers, every scene has this subconscious message to the audience and they play off of our expectations, leading the most insanely brilliant takes of holding, cutting and zooming shots to deliver a multitude of the most intense scenes ever put to cinema. I bet you never thought your heart would be racing while watching a peanuts wrapper crumple up until this movie came along.

The Big Short :

These days, it is too rare when I watch a movie that I'm completely involved in. Yesterday I was, as I was watching this black comedy about the 2008 housing bubble. The subject is very grim, and yet I was laughing all along. It was also rather technical, but never did the movie mistake complexity for cleverness. Rather, I found the "educational" segments quite inventive, and the plot easy to follow.

This is a solid 3.5, but tainted by a somewhat botched editing at times. I wish I could see a director's cut, now.

The First Wives Club (1996)

I have to return some videotapes...
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) -

Wish it was a little more scary, but the ending did get me. Good film.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Amanda Knox (2016)

After following this story for the last few years, I thought I'd give this recent Netflix offering a try. Overall pretty good. They covered pretty much everything, Some very good interviews, ie, Giuliano Mignini. (He's the Italian prosecutor with a large ego and very full imagination. If he was in The Godfather, an icepick would be waiting for him no doubt). Also Nick Pisa, the media slut of a journalist, who unabashedly explains his job of waiting for any stupid comment made by an official to spark a headline, then rushing to press before his competitors can. This guy's skirts fly high. He comes off as a media whore of the highest order, and proud of it.

Amanda is very well spoken and composed. She lucidly asks the viewers to decide if she's a clever psychopath, or an innocent person, like you. (btw, if she is a clever psychopath, she's an awesome one!) Also, exactly how innocent am I?

And then there's the puppyish Raffaele Sollecito, "I canna believe this a beautiful American girl a-like me and we make the romance together for 5 a day". Seems like a nice kid, even though he ties sweaters around his shoulders.

All in all, captivating and interesting documentary.

4.25 perugia chocolate bars out of 5

No Country for Old Men (2007)
If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?

My personal favorite movie of all time, the Coen Brothers deliver their best film to date, and one of the most thrilling movies I've ever seen. Javier Bardem's performance is so transforming and unrecognizable, it rides the line on the same caliber of Heath Ledger's Joker, he isn't playing Anton Chigurh, he is embodying him and becoming the surreal force that he encompasses. The Coen Brothers themselves give the best work of their careers, every scene has this subconscious message to the audience and they play off of our expectations, leading the most insanely brilliant takes of holding, cutting and zooming shots to deliver a multitude of the most intense scenes ever put to cinema. I bet you never thought your heart would be racing while watching a peanuts wrapper crumple up until this movie came along.
Looks like I found myself a new favorite member.

Ticks (1993) -

Best horror ever

Amanda is very well spoken and composed. She lucidly asks the viewers to decide if she's a clever psychopath, or an innocent person, like you. (btw, if she is a clever psychopath, she's an awesome one!) Also, exactly how innocent am I?

And then there's the puppyish Raffaele Sollecito, "I canna believe this a beautiful American girl a-like me and we make the romance together for 5 a day". Seems like a nice kid, even though he ties sweaters around his shoulders.

All in all, captivating and interesting documentary.

4.25 perugia chocolate bars out of 5
I watched this the other day and just posted some thoughts here. I thought it was a good doc. Did you think she was not guilty?

I feel ignorant, (first time here and don't know, how this machinery works) but never heard of Bill Bailey, SORRY. Legendary & successful Stand Up comic it seems; what a pity, actual shows are 200+ km from me, not just roads but ferry as well.

He was at our TV interview lately and close to the end quite emotionally described past occurrence there/here once (yes, not his first fail ;-)): very familiar gates and railroad tracks, from pub window in Tallinn. "Deja vu, I have been here before but when and why?" Yes, apparently it was Tarkovsky's "Stalker's" filming stage in real life, one of his favorites. I downloaded it at once - never earlier counted worthwhile -, rate it 9.5 of 10 - just reservations to keep people to try make anything even better, otherwise what the point? This is to show, how some more or less innocent remark may point You to treasures. Had to look, Runaway Train is Andrey Konchalovsky's movie but you catch my drift, I am not Your average snake-eater... Want my top 100(0) - have You stomach for that?! Top1? Very hard to pick apart Runaway train. Sunset Blvd.? The Apartment? Chinatown? Delicatessen? List could go on forever, You can not choose between them and many others but I am still hard to please - I guess...

Ivo, Saaremaa