Christmas in October

Tools    

I'll be very curious to see how he works with Favre, and if Favre's troubles are his own, or related to the issues with Rice/Harvin.

If Rice is actually normal come week 8 or 9, and Harvin sorts out his issues (a big if), that's one insane 1-2-3 WR punch, though.

I personally think Farve's troubles are from the lack of weapons. Last year wasn't a fluke, he was and is a good quarterback. His decision making isn't the greatest, but now he will have Moss towering over defenders able to attempt to catch Farve's mistakes

Both can be true; last year had to be a fluke in terms of risk-taking because even in his prime years he never threw as few as 9 interceptions. That'd be a freaky low total even if he'd done it a decade ago, let alone now. There's definitely a "regression to the mean" element to his struggles, in my opinion.

In the Beginning...
I recognize that as a Viking fan, my outlook will always be a little slanted. But I really, truly believe that Brett Favre is struggling because (1) Bernard Berrian is a joke, and (2) without Sidney Rice, Favre can't simply throw it up like he's always done. I credit a lot of his touchdowns last year to that simple Favre/Rice connection.

Now, Favre is still very old and (as we all know) more than a little banged up. Maybe whatever magical form he found in 2009 is gone, and maybe Randy Moss comes in and doesn't adjust well, or they can't simply connect. All I know is, Favre and Moss have been pining for this to happen for years, and it finally has. This is the absolute best chance Minnesota has to open up the passing game, alleviate pressure on ailing and new personnel, and unleash Adrian Peterson.

And of course, as a Vikings fan, it's VERY good to have Randy Moss back home.