The 2010 NFL Draft

Tools    

They sure have done a nice job of turning the draft into an event. I think it's a tad silly, given how many sure things turn into busts, and how many great players end up falling, but I'm still reasonably excited. It helps that the Steelers pretty much always kill in the draft.

Of course, with all the Big Ben stuff floating around, it has the potential to be a much more momentous draft than usual, even.

In the Beginning...
Yeah, the Draft is quite the spectacle, but I think that's all part of the fun. It's rather like trying to pick a winning racehorse - you can pour over a whole slew of reports and statistics for fun, even though success or failure usually seems to come down to unpredictables.

If anything, this is the first real NFL action we've had in months, so I'm all about it.

Re: Roethlisberger... There are reports that Pitt is looking to shop him around, which I think is maybe a little too hardcore. As fickle as quarterbacks are in the NFL, wouldn't you want to hang onto somebody who's still one of the most productive around?

I honestly don't know what I'd prefer. The guy's incredible, and I don't think he's guilty of anything more than being kinda stupid and pretty sleazy, but I do find it harder to root for that kinda guy.

As silly as it sounds, we've got two Super Bowls outta him, so I feel less inclined to want the team to put up with someone like this simply because they're extremely talented. I also have full confidence in their ability to keep the team competitive without him.

That said, I think they'll probably hold onto him. And if they do, and he really gets his act together, it might not be too bad. Very disappointing, though, either way.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Originally Posted by Yoda
I honestly don't know what I'd prefer. The guy's incredible, and I don't think he's guilty of anything more than being kinda stupid and pretty sleazy, but I do find it harder to root for that kinda guy.

As silly as it sounds, we've got two Super Bowls outta him, so I feel less inclined to want the team to put up with someone like this simply because they're extremely talented. I also have full confidence in their ability to keep the team competitive without him.

That said, I think they'll probably hold onto him. And if they do, and he really gets his act together, it might not be too bad. Very disappointing, though, either way.
Yeah, I'm willing to adopt a wait-and-see attitude on whether Ben repents of his stupid, offensive behavior. But this does feel like his last chance, doesn't it? So now he has to do a good job ON the field for us and also OFF the field to earn our respect back.

I am wondering what sort of crowd reaction he'll get at the first game. Will there be any booing, for instance? Charlie Batch is usually quite good, but we haven't seen him in steady action lately so I'm a bit nervous about hoisting Ben out the window just yet....

It'll be almost entirely cheers, for sure. And I think it's just as likely we'll end up playing Leftwich (who we traded for recently; he spot-started for us a couple years ago with decent results) instead of Batch, but both are plausible.

It's pretty likely Ben'll get his suspension down to 4 games, too. But man, a fourth of the season...this is a pretty big deal. If this doesn't force him to get his act together, nothing will.

In the Beginning...
I'm really surprised over all this talk today that the Redskins are still after Sam Bradford. If Jason Campbell hasn't been spurned enough, one has to wonder what McNabb thinks about all this. I guess it makes sense to nurture Bradford under McNabb, rather than throw him to the wolves (as the Rams will have to do, should they draft and keep him). But it feels like overkill to me. Mike Shanahan has wasted no time moving the pieces in Washington. Is he going in too fast?

And speaking of QBs, does anyone really believe that Kevin Kolb is Philly's new starter? The man has too much to prove, and although you can say the same for Michael Vick, the latter is still probably the better passer. I won't be surprised if Andy Reid pulls a bait-and-switch.

Unrelated: Trent Williams has really large teeth.

And yeah, I think its pretty obvious that Philly will be having an open QB competition this year. But Vick the better passer? I don't know about that. When has Vick ever really been considered a good or even mediocre passer?

I only got to see Kolb play one game but he definitely appeared to have a nice touch and I would put him on my fantasy team as a backup for sure.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
As a Packer fan I'm hoping that we either get Safety Taylor Mays, some O-Line help, or we could use a young CB stud like Devin McCourty or Kyle Wilson. Really banking on Mays or Wilson though.

In the Beginning...
Well, Minnesota missed out on Devin McCourtey, Kyle Wilson, and Tim Tebow, so it didn't surprise me that they traded out of the first round. I'm guessing they'll start amassing picks to stockpile players, either for depth or to sweeten a package in exchange for any of the three I mentioned above.

Tebow to the Buckin' Bronc's - interesting.

A system of cells interlinked
Bill Belichick with his usual whack first round pick. Sick of hearing about "value" and "utility".

FIX THE PASS RUSH, BILL!

He could justify the pick to you, but he'd much rather mumble something oozing with contempt in front of a bunch of microphones and act like he'd rather be anywhere else.

Zing!

I almost thought that with all the Big Ben stuff floating around one might abstain from taking shots at a hated rival. Good to see you're still upright Chris.

Unrelated: Jimmy Clausen has an odd shaped head.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Zing!
Unrelated: Jimmy Clausen has an odd shaped head.
You mean his profile? Does he resemble his family's pickles?

I can't believe I'm going to say this because I was pretty strongly against the Pete " Petey" Carrol hiring here in Seattle. But, in this weak NFC West he may have just wheeled and dealed himself into contention for a playoff spot if either of the two running backs we just picked up pay off.

Very interested to say the least. I really thought this was going to be a terrible year and may still be because one great rookie offensive tackle does not a great offensive line make. So, Hasslebeck will most likely still be running for his life a lot back there but maybe, just maybe things are looking up!