Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Good movie.

Halloween 5: The Revenge Of Michael Myers (1989)

Definitely thought I'd seen Halloween 5 a few years ago at my beach house, but this was a completely different movie than what I envisioned remembering. Maybe I fell asleep the time before and missed a lot, maybe it was the alcohol, or maybe I really didn't watch this movie. Regardless my viewing today had a very "first time" vibe. One thing I've noticed about the sequels is that Dr. Sam Loomis (Donald Pleasance), Michael Myers' psychiatrist, keeps getting wilder and more crazed with every movie. What I enjoyed best was that the The Revenge Of Michael Myers managed to be highly comedic without even overtly aiming for that usually blatant shtick. Also did well capturing the fun spirit of the actual holiday Halloween, where teens such as Hot Blonde Samantha (Tamara Glynn) and Hot Brunette Tina (Wendy Foxworth), along with younger children Jamie (Danielle Harris), her friend Billy (Jeffrey Landman), as well as the adults, all get into the holiday. Came pretty close to crushing (in-a-good-way) the feeling of the holiday tradition's European roots with the mysterious man in black with the celtic symbol on his wrist, along with pranks, masks, costumes, tricks, and treats. It's also got an amazing 80s fashion, slinging the movie tremendously forward, and I'd gladly watch again and again. Happy I bought it.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	H5R.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	52150  

spiderman : into the spider verse - 5/10

it's not that bad, had some fun but easily forgettable for most part, guess im just not on its demographic, sort of. quiet annoyed by this cloudy meat ball feel . Also since deadpool im kinda hate this insecure-self-conscious-on-writing trend where they kind of, try to excuse and led us to justify all the cliche. There this stupid chekov gun that also quiet bothering. Well none of those matter actually, if talk miles morales music taste is big downer, cant really relate with kid nowadays

Weird that best part came actually at post credit. That meme was 10/10 lol

Fracture (2007) - Gregory Hoblit

- Rewatch. I love it once again, I think Gregory Hoblit is one of the most underrated director ever and he truly deserved more credit and fame imo. Gosling and Hopking are terrific in this courtroom thriller. I love the storyline and it's really entertaining. The ending is so goooood and just that make it worth a watch no doubt. Homerun.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Halloween 5: The Revenge Of Michael Myers (1989)

All the hair in that gif is the best thing I saw today.

Bad Times at the El Royale (2018)

Not bad sub-Tarantino romp. 6/10

Fracture (2007) - Gregory Hoblit

- Rewatch. I love it once again, I think Gregory Hoblit is one of the most underrated director ever and he truly deserved more credit and fame imo. Gosling and Hopking are terrific in this courtroom thriller. I love the storyline and it's really entertaining. The ending is so goooood and just that make it worth a watch no doubt. Homerun.
Yes good movie, added it to my fav. 'courtroom' movies list..

What They Had (2018) dir Elizabeth Chomko

A strong drama of alzheimer's and dementia that has it's flaws but features some really sharp acting by Hilary Swank and Liev Schrieber, - I mean Michael Shannon (who is really damn good, as usual).
Took your advice and watched the film last night. The story has pretty familiar elements, so the success of the production rested on the acting. The heavyweight cast came through like champs.

It was nice to see Shannon play something besides a kook. He's got a range to play just about anything, so his character was very believable. Robert Forster really had to carry the film, and his portrayal did the trick. Danner was good even though she didn't have much dialogue. Hilary Swank strikes me as somewhat limited, but she fit the bill perfectly here.

The film held one's interest throughout, and despite a somewhat abrupt and surprising finale, it's a touching and true to life picture.

~Doc

Backbeat (1994)

If one is a Beatles fan, this film is an enjoyable bio-drama of their time in Hamburg at the clubs before they became big. All the early pre-Ringo members are developed very nicely. The way they must have been at about aged 18-19 rings pretty true.

The major portion of the film was spent on Stuart Sutcliffe (the bass player before McCartney switched from guitar) and his relationships with Lennon and Sutcliffe's girlfriend, Astrid Kirchherr, and why he decided to leave the band. Tragically, Sutcliffe died at 21 from a brain hemorrhage.

For fans of True Detective (seaon 3), Sutcliffe was played convincingly by a very young Stephen Dorff. Even at that age, one could see that he would turn into a very fine actor.

A very nice biographical romp. Doc's rating: 6/10

Welcome to the human race...
Funny Games -

I can think of two things wrong with that title.

Blindspotting (2018)

Pretty good feature here that had a kind of "Brothers Mcmullen" feel about it (probably due to the fact the 2 main actors wrote it). Issues like the gentrification of their old neighbourhood are tackled in a funny way that sometimes sits a wee bit uncomfortably against the bigger issues portrayed here. Still enjoyable, 6/10.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
I don't think it's a 10/10 movie, but I do think Heath Ledger's performance alone makes it worth watching.
I have some doubts as it's quite easy movie for teenagers, but I watched it few times, as an adult person and really enjoy it. And I have to admit it wouldn't be painfull to watch it another time

Wildlife (2018)

At Eternity's Gate (2018)

Willem Dafoe’s Vincent Van Gogh was the performance of 2018. The film itself was modest in scope, almost boutique in feel, which, added to the fact that there were no social justice or fashionable causes advocated, may have caused the Academy members to pass over this unique and striking performance.

There have been several good screen portrayals of the fascinating painter, making it all the trickier to develop a character about whom so much has been written, and displayed so thoroughly. It’s hard to say whether the director, artist Julian Schnabel, had any input on the characterization. The screenplay was co-written by Schnabel, his girlfriend Louise Kugelberg, and the veteran Jean-Claude Carriere. We would guess that Mr. Carriere did most of the heavy lifting on the treatment.

The sound palette and photography were very important. The music of the wind, rustling wheat fields, and Van Gogh’s firm brush strokes blended with the beautiful scenes captured by cinematographer Benoit Delhomme. To his credit they didn’t attempt to mimic the essence of the paintings with film technique, but rather offered them both as a duet and a nod to Van Gogh’s inspiration.

Likewise they resisted the use of art film techniques to accompany the subject’s well known mental decline. Tatiana Lisovskaya’s score was adequate, but at times the unaccompanied piano portions didn’t seem to want to commit either to dissonance or tonality, instead providing sophomoric chords or intervals that were confusing in their ambiguity. Yet at other times the music perfectly matched the mood.

Oscar Isaac’s portrayal of Paul Gaugin seemed off the mark. The treatment seemed too conservative for such an opinionated and assertive character. On the other hand Mads Mikkelsen gave a powerful and nuanced cameo performance of the priest who ultimately decided to allow Van Gogh to be released from his last asylum stay. All the other character parts were first rate.

In a masterful decision the producers did not dwell on the infamous ear cutting event. In fact it was not even shown, but left only to the imagination. One wonders if Dafoe exhibits more resemblance to Van Gogh from his right side, since in the film they incorrectly chose the left ear for excision, whereas in real life it was the right.

The movie title took its name from one of Van Gogh’s works completed two months before his death, Sorrowing Old Man (At Eternity’s Gate), painted from memory of an earlier pencil drawing. The time frame is the last few years of his life in France, first at Arles, and finally at Auvers-sur-Oise. His death has long been thought to have been a suicide, but more recent evidence has emerged that suggested accidental death. This is the route taken by the film.

He desired "not to see a landscape but only the eternity behind it". This is an excellent study of Van Gogh’s final years, and a memorable portrayal of the afflicted artist by Willem Dafoe that should not be missed.

Doc’s rating: 9/10