Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Interview with the Vampire (1994)

I think the latest vampire trend had its roots in Anne Rice's books. The film's probably the most melodramatic and theatrical movie I like but that's how vampires are in the modern age.

A Star is Born (2018)

It's not great but it's good enough and I'm a sucker for the story. The 30's and 50's versions are definitely superior but this one did a good job modernizing. I haven't seen the 70's version. I thought Lady Gaga did pretty well as a singer turned actress, much better than Madonna but not nearly as good as Cher. I couldn't name a single song of hers except for Shallow, and that's only because of the MoFo Oscar ballot. I don't listen to that crap anyway but I think she has a nice aura about her. I also thought Bradley Cooper was pretty good, but then I like him in everything. My wife and I enjoyed his musical numbers more than Gaga's. Nice to see the Diceman.

The Night Comes for Us (2018)

This was out of control. Standard action movie plot but it's a nonstop fun ride. It's one of the most violent movies ever made and I've seen a lot of them.

The House with a Clock in Its Walls (2018)

Quite charming whistful fantasy from director Eli Roth (!), I managed to put my aversion to Jack Black to one side and just enjoyed the ride. On a rainy afternoon this was a nice cheerer-upper with a few scares to match 6/10

The Big Gundown 1966

Gawd, that poster I want for my wall.

8th re-watch...Dudley Moore's Oscar-nominated performance is a lot more than drunken pratfalls...watch him in the scenes when Hobson gets sick...there's some real acting going on there. And as for John Gielgud's performance as Hobson? Flawless, maybe the most deserving Oscar winner EVER!

Without Minnelli mugging left right and centre this film would be a 10.

Snooze factor = Zzz

Snooze factor = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Creed (Ryan Coogler, 2015)
+
Nice to see Goodison Park used for an actual sporting event for a change (sorry christine, couldn't resist)
i think the words of a weary Everton fan! My rating is exactly the same as yours Chypmunk. This film was better than I expected.

i think the words of a weary Everton fan! My rating is exactly the same as yours Chypmunk. This film was better than I expected.
Close, words to a weary Everton fan more like
And yeah, the fillum proved better than I expected going in too which is always a pleasant surprise.

Equus (1977)

Navel-gazing raspy performance from Richard Burton as a disillusioned shrink trying to make sense of a seemingy random violent act by an otherwise stable (ha ha) lad. Very stagey (from the play by Shaffer) but follow-able and believable. Young Peter is incredible.

Indulgent but an interesting watch 6.5/10

Equus (1977)

Indulgent but an interesting watch 6.5/10
Without wishing to foment any rumours of one of us being an 'alt' of the other ..... I gave it the same rating

Without wishing to foment any rumours of one of us being an 'alt' of the other ..... I gave it the same rating
i wonder what *our* ratings on "Enemy" were

I thought the film (Equus) was good, Burton is such an old soak by this point it becomes parody but in this film (cerebral, descriptive) it actually works.

i wonder what *our* ratings on "Enemy" were

I thought the film (Equus) was good, Burton is such an old soak by this point it becomes parody but in this film (cerebral, descriptive) it actually works.
I know what to do ... I'll say I've not yet seen Enemy and that'll throw them off the scent

My brief thunks on a re-watch of Equus last year:
Offbeat psychological drama with an excellent performance from Mr. Firth as the troubled youngster but whilst the central tale is realised fairly well the dialogue heavy script sadly doesn't do that much for me

Welcome to the human race...
Eight Diagram Pole Fighter -

why am I not watching Shaw Brothers movies all the time

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

It's one of the best slasher films but I usually don't care about that genre too much. Opening credits are great and last 20 minutes or so too but the rest is just OK. Still trying to decide if the whole is good or just below so it's either...

or

10th rewatch...For my money, Mel Brooks' masterpiece

5th re-watch...this movie just gets better every time i watch, though I'm still not sure what was so Oscar-worthy about Emma Stone's performance.

4th rewatch...this movie is not nearly as bad as its reputation...impressive production design, stunning costumes, De Niro is funny and explosive and Minnelli's performance rivals her work in Cabaret

Yeah, Minnelli is the reason I rated this film 4.5 and not 5.
Sheesh, got too many people agreeing with me today, need to go for a lie down!