Sleezy Casts "The Beatles"

Tools    

In the Beginning...

Thanks to my father, an enormous Beatles fan, I grew up listening to a LOT of Beatles music. ("Hey Jude," "A Hard Day's Night," and "Let it Be" are some of Dad's favorites.) I guess I can say that I'm something of a fan, too.

It occurred to me recently that there's been no major film depicting the foursome since perhaps 1979's Birth of the Beatles, which only covered the early days of the band before they hit worldwide stardom. Obviously, there have been films that focused on one or more of the band members and their struggles with life, love, and the music industry, but nothing about the band as a whole on the level of recent biopics like Selma, The Imitation Game, or Jimi: All Is By My Side.

So I thought it would be fun to cast a biopic that would revolve around The Beatles' final public performance: a surprise concert on a London rooftop in chilly January 1969. Obviously, the film would flash back to key moments in the band's history, from their first Top 40 hit to their momentous arrival in the United States, and more. But that final performance was so unique, so bittersweet, representing the very last of The Beatles' youthful spirit and infectious musical artistry before each man went his own way.

Alright, let's get to the cast:

JOHN LENNON / EWAN McGREGOR
You need a leading man to play the band's lead vocalist, who many considered to be the public "face" of The Beatles. He certainly was a social tour-de-force and his message of love and fellowship inspired millions. Who better to portray the man than Ewan McGregor, eternally boyish with an inexhaustible charm that can captivate and move audiences through every high and low?

PAUL McCARTNEY / MICHAEL SHEEN
Every bit a legend in his own right, Paul McCartney was Lennon's friend and creative counterpart. Michael Sheen would bring a strong counterbalance to the film, channeling McCartney's openness and emotional solidarity during the group's struggles final years.

GEORGE HARRISON / BEN MILES
By 1969, George Harrison had emerged as a highly prolific and talented songwriter. His strong personality and passionate approach to making music should be front and center, and Ben Miles has the mesmerizing screen presence to do just that. And he's a talented musician himself: he plays guitar, drums, and bass.

RINGO STARR / BEN WHISHAW
Ringo Starr has enjoyed a fair bit of popularity, transcending what is too often a forgettable role in a rock band. And that's largely due to his fun, easygoing nature. Ben Whishaw is admittedly a little young for the role (Starr was the oldest Beatle, in fact), but the up-and-comer has the right mix of intensity and joviality that the role needs.

YOKO ONO / YÔKO MAKI
A divisive figure among Beatles fans for decades, Yoko Ono became John Lennon's partner and famously interjected herself into a creative role within the band, much to the dismay of the other members. Admittedly, I'm not very familiar with Maki's work, but her credentials seem to indicate a talented young woman with a knack for intense, dramatic roles.

BONUS!

BILLY PRESTON / MOS DEF
Brought into the fold by George Harrison not long before the breakup of the band, keyboardist Billy Preston is considered by many to be the "fifth Beatle" given his contributions to some of the group's most memorable songs (and he performed with them on the rooftop). Although the incredibly talented Mos Def insists he's retired from music and film, he would bring a remarkable spark of life to the role, just as Preston brought to The Beatles in their final months.

So, there you have it! How do you like the list? As always, comments and alternative casting suggestions are welcome.

Yeah, those actors do physically look like the Beatles, good call. Have you seen any movies with other actors playing the Beatles? A good one is My Dinner with Jimi

Trailer for My Dinner with Jimi...with the 'Beatles in it'

Great selection Sleezy. Ben Miles looks nothing like George Harrson, but with the right makeup and weight loss with some good acting he could sell it. I like Ewan MacGregor as John Lennon, if he had dark hair he'd be an even better Pauil McCartney.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
They are good choices, but all the males are from seven-15 years older than the Beatles were in Jan. '69. I don't have any alternatives, but they'll probably need prosthetics to recreate Ringo's "hideous hooter" as described by Paul's "very clean" grandfather in A Hard Day's Night.

In the Beginning...
Yeah, I kinda like the idea that the actors are a bit older, if anything to reinforce how much older they all probably felt, given the nature of their topsy-turvy experience during such a socially and politically charged time. Not surprisingly, all of that put an incredible strain on the band. It's not always fun and games when you rocket to super stardom.

Mark, I haven't seen My Dinner with Jimi, but I'll definitely be looking it up. Thanks!

BILLY PRESTON / MOS DEF
Brought into the fold by George Harrison not long before the breakup of the band, keyboardist Billy Preston is considered by many to be the "fifth Beatle" given his contributions to some of the group's most memorable songs (and he performed with them on the rooftop). Although the incredibly talented Mos Def insists he's retired from music and film, he would bring a remarkable spark of life to the role, just as Preston brought to The Beatles in their final months.

So, there you have it! How do you like the list? As always, comments and alternative casting suggestions are welcome.
No problem with your Beatle casting, but I don't see Mos Def as Billy Preston at all.

In the Beginning...
No problem with your Beatle casting, but I don't see Mos Def as Billy Preston at all.
Any alternate suggestions?

I considered Tyler Perry and Larenz Tate, as well. The role needs someone with a strong, upbeat sort of personality. But I liked Mos Def because he's also a magnetic onscreen presence who appreciates history and meaningful expression through music.

I agree with everyone on Ewan. Have they even made a Beatles movie concentrating on mid to late 60s? Everything seems to be early days, late 50s, getting together, Hamburg (was it Hamburg, that in Germany?) up until I Want To Hold Your Hand. Why is that?

Anyways, cool thread, man.