The Western III Hall of Fame

Tools    

I liked how when Burt Lancaster and Ossie Davis got out of the mud after their long fight, they were both gray skinned...an analogy for saying they were equal to each other.

The trick is not minding
I liked how when Burt Lancaster and Ossie Davis got out of the mud after their long fight, they were both gray skinned...an analogy for saying they were equal to each other.
That was a good scene.

Dirty Little Billy (1972), in 1972 we were near the tail end of the Western years normally when a genre starts running out of steam we get bad films but with Westerns they seem to go in the opposite direction. This was one of those revisionist style dark westerns and man is this movie dark. When you have a scene with a hooker being tipped in rice or bread because she's so hungry and dirty you know you are watching something special.

Michael Pollard was always the character actor to me so I was very surprised to see him carry the lead and do such a great job with it. He definitely has a take on Billy the Kid that is unique but also profound. What I also really enjoyed about this one is how the violence just kind of sneaks up on you. The movie feels like a drama for 75% of it and then bam last act all violence, stuff that Peckinpah would have enjoyed.

I've been waiting to see if Zotis finishes before I watch Dirty Billy but I'm just going to watch it soon. It sounds like something I'd really like.

I've been waiting to see if Zotis finishes before I watch Dirty Billy but I'm just going to watch it soon. It sounds like something I'd really like.
Most all of us liked it, I sure did.

Most all of us liked it, I sure did.
I don’t know why but I really hated it, probably the dirty look/tone of it, which I know was the point of the movie... I just personally didn’t enjoy.

But glad most of you did!! I feel like I missed something from it now lol

I don’t know why but I really hated it, probably the dirty look/tone of it, which I know was the point of the movie... I just personally didn’t enjoy.

But glad most of you did!! I feel like I missed something from it now lol
You seen the copy with Spanish subs right? I wonder if you seen a nicely restored copy if it might improve your view of it?

You seen the copy with Spanish subs right? I wonder if you seen a nicely restored copy if it might improve your view of it?
Uh no I did not haha. that’s a thought, yeah in a couple years I may check it out again...

Uh no I did not haha. that’s a thought, yeah in a couple years I may check it out again...
You didn't see the version with the Spanish subs? I couldn't find the movie without them. Wish I could've.

You didn't see the version with the Spanish subs? I couldn't find the movie without them. Wish I could've.
Yeah I found some random link, and iirc there weren’t subtitles??? But that just might be my bad memory.

When I watch a film like Scalphunters I often wonder just who is this film for. Why did these actors and directors sign up for this film, I think that after Cat Ballou certain people tried to make their own take on the film. The good...well Sydney Pollack is the star of the film because it's shot really well. Pollack has a strong vision for the film and the action scenes are very well blocked. I suppose Ossie Davis wanted to play a strong character in this film and his humor though toothless is still good..I suppose. But after that Burt Lancaster just did nothing for me and just kinda dragged the film down. I wonder which Joe was supposed to be the star of the film. The racial politics and humor just didn't age well to me. I don't know if this is going to be in last place for me but I didn't care for it.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Could someone, please send me a link for The Big Gundown. I cannot locate one with English. Though I have found a few with occasional English in it.
THANK YOU in advance!!

Could someone, please send me a link for The Big Gundown. I cannot locate one with English. Though I have found a few with occasional English in it.
THANK YOU in advance!!
Sent, check your PM

I use the same site, it's mostly in Italian with one a scene or two where Van Cleef speaks English. Which seems a bit strange. Unless I'm mistaken and they're actually speaking Spanish.

Or is that how this movie goes?

I use the same site, it's mostly in Italian with one a scene or two where Van Cleef speaks English. Which seems a bit strange. Unless I'm mistaken and they're actually speaking Spanish.

Or is that how this movie goes?
Maybe I sent you the wrong one? It was in English when I watched it.

Maybe I sent you the wrong one? It was in English when I watched it.
It's weird, They'd speak a line or two in english, then several more in spanish(?). But it seems like they speak more in spanish than in english

It's weird, They'd speak a line or two in english, then several more in spanish(?). But it seems like they speak more in spanish than in english
I just watched a bit of the movie from that link, you're right about speaking in Spanish, it's weird and that's not how it was when I watched it. I can only guess that link changed? If you can't find another I will look some more tomorrow.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible

That's actually how these movies were shot, because they had actors from so many nationalities and most of them didn't speak English. So they were dubbed after.

I'm pretty sure there has to be a copy in English , let me try and find it