Ozark

Tools    

I watched a bit of this. My dad was really into it but all I could think was that Peter Mullan was playing his exact same character as Top of the Lake.
He’s had quite a few roles where, essentially, he is playing the same angry man. Took me a while to get used to his accent in Ozark, but ended up enjoying him in his role. It’s an excellent show.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Peter Mullan shows up, funny since the last show I watched was Top of the Lake. Anyway, episode 4 was probably the best yet.
Makes me want a rewatch. I really liked 4 as well.

Just finished the season. It got better and better until it got awesome. As much as I liked it, my wife liked it more. Looking forward to season 2.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I just started this and because I can't write good n' stuff.

+ Bateman playing Bateman always Bateman I watch Bateman
+ The everybody has a plan until they get punched in face, i.e. the first episode events setting things in place. Bateman's character solution was entertaining...
+ The characters. The family. The Bubba family (?) there I go stereotyping people . I have an idea on them and I hope it's true. GoT style.

- The absurdity of how "criminal information" is devolved. I never claimed to be a Tuffy Rhoades, but my experience in real life is that doesn't happen. Especially if you are dealing with a Cartel that operates on a psychopathic level with a double digit exponent. I don't know if "lazy writing" is the term, but maybe this is what you have to do to keep scenes tight.

- Bateman doesn't have the fear. Am I suppose to believe that because of the initial ordeal and his "family plan", that he is a top tier confrontational negotiator... in real life, where real life circumstances are in play?

In summation, I don't watch t.v. during the week. I'll watch an episode of this before I go to bed

And I love that it made Dani happy.

I think I'm on about episode 5-6 and the initial rush is dissipating. Still good, but the amount of smarmy Marty quipping to country people has fallen off and that was a big draw.

I finished season 1 and here is a thought dump collection

1. The Breaking Bad comparison is warranted. The imagery, the music, the type of story, etc. That said, I don't remember BB dancing through the raindrops on the believability like this does. I enjoy it, but it transforms the show into some sort of absurdity. Time after time it stretches reason until it snaps.

WARNING: spoilers below

a. The Langmoor Bros hit being thwarted by a hot rail
b. Bud shotgunning the Mexican mercenary
c. Darlene headshotting Del
d. The baby delivery
e. An FBI agent assualting someone and discharging a firearm in a bar
f. Heroin hymnals...
g. Everybody knowing everyone's illicit business. That wouldn't last. In a cutthroat world, this would last all of week.
h. Marty driving a truck that an FBI agent saw a cartel executive in and just saying I've been driving it all day.
i. At some point, "the juice ain't worth the squeeze" and all these people get murdered.

I will never invest the time in re-watching BB, but I'm pretty sure they did a better job of making the events close to believable.

An FBI agent assualting someone and discharging a firearm in a bar
Are you saying that an FBI agent would never assault anyone?

An FBI agent assualting someone and discharging a firearm in a bar
Are you saying that an FBI agent would never assault anyone?
It's hard to believe an FBI agent trying to lay low and further a major case would flake out that easily. There is so much vetting he would have had to go through to get that far in his career.

Saying Breaking Bad was a smidge more believable.

Obviously he would have been vetted, but people change. Naďve, I think, to suppose there are no nuts in the FBI because we know there are in the CIA.

You are so right Starchley. It makes total sense.

Have a few episodes left in S2.

This show is so absurd and ridiculous, but so good.

Finished Season 2 and....

- This is the most absurd "realistic" show I have every watched. In the moment not so crazy, but when you reflect on the stuff
- I didn't expect S2 to be better, but I think the culmination of a lot stuff really pushed it ahead. Curious to how they keep ramping up the intensity after so many things were resolved.

- Probably the best show I've ever seen where it doesn't make a lot of sense, but I am so ready to roll with it.

After thorough contemplation, I have decided that Darlene is scarier than all the nefarious GoT characters combined

Man she scary.