The Videogames Tab

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
Guess who bought a vg? Yeps. A nice trashy piece of boy racer rubbish filled with dead-eyed character models and woeful dialogue.
That’s a harsh way to describe Untitled Goose Game

Box-Fanned & Consoled Nobility
Guess who bought a vg? Yeps. A nice trashy piece of boy racer rubbish filled with dead-eyed character models and woeful dialogue.
Nice! What's that name of the vg that you bought?

Is it One player or two player?

Is it co-op or competitive?

inquiring minds want and care to know...

I just have to interlude with some errant VR information.

It is possible that you will hear, in relation to Alyx, about someone called Jeff.

I have just met Jeff. And I have to concur.

****ing hell.

Jeff.

To be honest it’s not so much him, as the mechanical flips that he entails. It’s felt like the most HL2-worthy section on that front. They only introduce one minor game mechanic, which is neat enough, and has a sneaky biomimetic impact. But really it’s the way they make you alter how you’ve been using the VR inputs until that point. It’s nothing other games haven’t done, but I’ve never felt so reliant on the ability to move objects with different levels of force. Or so fricking excito-scared about moving my body through imaginary spaces. Lotsa tense fun. They nailed this bit

Ok I don't think this is a spoiler (keycard needed for keycard reader...). I guess you see a room...

Just a little physics showcase...

WARNING: spoilers below

(It's not like the spoiler tag works for this anyway )

For stuff that teeters much more into broad over-exposure of locations and events, drop in on the Mythbusters vids instead

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Ok. I've realized that with extra free-time, I'm not gonna be able watch t.v/fall asleep and rewind back to the part I fell asleep at, repeat at least 4 times. VGs fight off the sleepies. This NFS game is fun and absurb. Handbrake every corner, boyracer fever dream. In small doses.

Persona 5 has bubbled back up because this new game (Persona 5 Royale?) is kinda Persona 5 with new stuff? Should make Persona 5 dirt cheap and I loved everything about it except the battle part.

You ready? You look ready.
Nintendo eShop has some deals going on.

https://slickdeals.net/f/13955003-ni...erge-9-99-more

Spyro and Bastion are the standouts on that list. I can't recommend Bastion enough. If for no other reason than it has one of the sickest soundtracks of the last 20 years.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I’d heard good things about the last few levels of Alyx. They were right

Pulled it up to
territory for me. There had been minor plateaus prior to that, certain ‘this is just a shooter’ aspects which fell shy of the stratospheric expectations. Essentially it didn’t shake things up with almost every level, as HL2 tended to do. But the quality, vibe & ‘all happening in VR’-ness pulled it through those smaller disappointments.

Will do a proper review on pros and cons over in the VR zone at some point.

I finally got around to trying the FFVII demo. All aboard for the active battle system. Really good imb vs. turn based (which is the only thing I dislike about p5) . The voice acting for Barret and Cloud is and that camera needs some work. Still won't catch me paying full retail for an episode, but I will snap it up. Interested to see how the boss battle will go with abs.

Now that I know Harvest Moon is getting released this July I think I am going to pass on Animal Crossings and just go ahead and get Stardew.

Glad you brought that up. WTF is the deal with Animal Crossings? This damn thing is all over the place and I can't figure out if it's paid advertisements or actual enthusiasm. So much Animal Crossings .

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Now that I know Harvest Moon is getting released this July I think I am going to pass on Animal Crossings and just go ahead and get Stardew.

Bit late on that release, huh?

Needs more broom stick.

Adding this here because it works on classic PC too.

Review: Touring Karts

This is actually a pretty great Mario Kart clone

I’ve been playing it in first person with motion controller steering. One-handing around corners while you grab a weapon box and fling the resulting chicken at a competitor is pretty great.

Everything from the steering to the ‘boost when you nail the drift’ mechanic is pretty arcadey, but that’s all good. It all gels with the giant hazards that tumble around the track, the ludicrous weapon combos that stack up, and the chained boosts that can see you scudding past rivals in an arial attack

There’s a load of simple motivators stuffed in too, from the car upgrade lootboxes, to the track unlocks via race challenges (‘squash five cars with a giant chicken’), to speed buffs from every weapon hit.

What elevates it all is the sheer cumulative carnage. The tracks aren’t always the most inspired in shape, but somehow the various ignoble deaths by giant robot legs haven’t felt grievously unfair, and the times you carve a path through the valley of cartoon death have felt great. Both happen frequently in a race.

Chaining boosts up ramps, steering through the air, fly-drifting between giant clashing hammers. Combining power-ups to create a chicken bazooka on the fly. Watching a shadow spread as a giant monkey flies overhead in a giant UFO, and you wonder if he's going to chuck a keg of dynamite on your head, like the one in a zeppelin above the finishing line. Scooting over the tip of a tentacle to gain a boost before it rears out of its hole and slams you... The general melee of suddenly gigantified cars, cars sliding by encased in iceblocks, and sudden spicy chickens to the face. It’s all good cartoon fun

If the tracks themselves just had that final extra twist of Mario Kart pizzazz, it'd be arcade grandeur from start to finish.

(-) [possible nausea]
(Might be a bit more generic if you’re not sitting in the silly go-kart getting squished by a squid though )

Box-Fanned & Consoled Nobility
If you own an Xbox and didn’t catch this game the first time around I highly suggest snagging this deal.
what game is it for?....and any time the game is digitial I auto refuse...I prefer to buy physical games.....

Yeah, I might be less likely to buy digital movies because they're still streaming but I'm totally good taking advantage of digital game sales for much cheaper than a physical copy will ever drop.

The Adventure Starts Here!
what game is it for?....and any time the game is digitial I auto refuse...I prefer to buy physical games.....
I'm totally the type to buy CDs/DVDs for games, but I stopped that years ago. I don't remember the last time I bought a DVD game (rather than downloading, usually through Steam or GOG), except for a few that were specialty games or anniversary versions.

From time to time I'll check the sales on the PSN. I've seen the Batman series grouped with a fairly low price every so often; the Bioshock series too. I finished Batman: Arkham Asylum on the PS3 a while back. I think I documented some of that here. Arkham City was started, but never finished. Bioshock 1 and 2 were completed, but 3 ended maybe 3/4 in.

I've considered revisiting the Bioshock Remastered franchise on PS4. That would put me at square one again, starting over, but I did love this game at the time.

How many of you revisit older narrative games and did you enjoy the experience as much the second time? Or did it degrade the nostalgia of your earlier experience? Sure, Pac-Man probably doesn't play the same today. Let's not go that far back!

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

@ynwtf: I'm currently replaying BioShock and I opted for the hardest difficulty this time around. I don't care to play narrative games over again unless they offer some increased difficulty. And the hardest difficulty on BioShock is freaking nuts. You can't use any of the revive chambers, and you do not want to get caught in a room with more than 3 splicers. They will **** you up.

Holy crap, forget Stardew Valley! I had no idea that Hotline Miama was on the Switch, and it's on sale now, too!

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detai...ection-switch/

I just bought it, and I can't wait to get home and smack some skulls.