The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh

→ in
Tools    

Ladies and gentlemen, the day has finally come

There have been lists for Westerns, lists for Horror, lists for different decades, but it's been a full decade since we did a list with, essentially, no restrictions. But the timing couldn't be better: it's the site's 20-year anniversary, and the 10-year anniversary of the original list. It's time for a refresh of the Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time List!

Coppola, Tarantino, Lucas, Spielberg, Scorsese, Fincher, the Coens...these are just some of the names that topped our list 10 years ago. Will these heavyweights still dominate the list, or will a new filmmaker emerge near the top? We've got new films and new members, so I fully expect that, even if a lot of the The Usual Suspects (1995) figure to be somewhere near the top, every slot is potentially up for grabs.

You have three months to consider your choices and fill in any gaps in your viewing of...uh...film? Yeah, of film. Should be plenty of time. But seriously, the due date is December 1st, 2020.

How It Works

If you've never participated in one of these, don't be intimidated: it's easy! Any member registered for at least one month is eligible to participate. Just rank you top 25 films (no restrictions on year or genre). Then Private Message your list (ranked 1-25) to @TheUsualSuspect. In fact, here, I'll make it as easy as possible, this link has the title filled in already with your username and everything:

Send a PM to TheUsualSuspect

The order matters, because it determines scoring: your #1 film receives 25 points, you #2 film receives 24, and so on, with your last film, the #25 film, receiving a single point. Our trained monkeys (me and TUS) will input the data (your lists) into our highly complex algorithm (basic addition) and spit out a completely objective and authoritative measure of your completely subjective and non-authoritative opinions. We're basically laundering opinions so they come out the other end looking like facts. How cool is that?

Annoying Rules/Details

Fewer of these than usual, especially in terms of eligible films. Any decade, any genre, any length, any language, streaming or not (futureisnow_oldman.gif). But there are a few things you need to know:
1. You have to nominate movies individually.
For example, you can't submit The Lord of the Rings unless you mean the awesome 1978 rotoscoped version. If you want to submit one of the Peter Jackson films, you'll need to use a slot on each of them. Ditto for the two Kill Bill films. If there are any edge cases, ask about them here and we'll make a ruling, and probably keep a running list of said cases to make things easier on others.

2. Do not reveal your list
This is important! Please do not post or discuss where a film was in your rankings until it's revealed during the countdown. Mistakes happen, but depending on specifics this may cause your ballot to become disqualified.

3. Your list is final
Please note that once your list is submitted, it will be considered final. So make sure you see the films you want to beforehand. You've got time. All-time. Okay you don't have all-time, I just wanted to tie that back into the list name. You actually have three months. And while that sounds like a lot, you'll be amazed at how quickly that last week will arrive. So I've totally undercut my own point, and am now telling you to hurry up because you have very little (all) time.
The countdown will begin shortly after voting ends (the exact date will be determined based on how much work is left, but safe bet it'll start before mid-December). Each day during the countdown we'll reveal two films from the list, though we may switch to one as we near the end, and we may skip a day here or there for major holidays. Once a film is revealed, the thread is open for discussion on its placement. Remember to keep it civil, this is all in good fun! Unless, of course, a movie you like isn't ranked as high as you think it should be. That's a serious insult to both you and your family and our dueling app should be ready in time to settle any such disputes.

The Voters

TUGG
Holden Pike
Hey Fredrick
The Rodent
donniedarko
WrinkledMind
Diehl40
matt72582
Skepsis93
Tramuzgan
Guaporense
martyrofevil
Cobpyth
SpelingError
ahwell
mojofilter
John Dumbear
cricket
Citizen Rules
John W Constantine
Kaplan
Olivier Parent
KeyserCorleone
seanc
Rauldc14
The Samoan Lawyer
Captain Spaulding
Gandalf26
Miss Vicky
Thursday Next
HollowMan
neiba
pahaK
edarsenal
Siddon
Steve Freeling
John-Connor
Cobra
Torgo
Urkillinmesmalls
ScarletLion
Jinnistan
HashtagBrownies
SmudgeEFC1985
Rockatansky
re93animator
ApexPredator
dadgumblah
Deschain
Thunderbolt
Fabulous
Takoma11
sawduck
crumbsroom
Powdered Water
Mr Minio
John McClane
Yoda
Agrippinax
7thson
GulfportDoc
Iroquois
CosmicRunaway
CiCi
Nemanja
MovieMeditation
honeykid
WHITBISSELL!
Okay
Raven73
Frightened Inmate No. 2
Wyldesyde19
kgaard
ynwtf
Wooley
Derek Vinyard
Pussy Galore
gbgoodies
moongirl
Sedai
Maaann
Austruck
Taz
MovieFan1988
resopamenic
StanleyKubrick
IrishSansRed
Tongo
rbrayer
markf
TheUsualSuspect
sarahf
JayDee
cat_sidhe
Daniel M
Thief

That's it! Start your eyeballs. That's a horrible sentence but I'm keeping it in. Go watch movies, is what I mean.

Also, have some very cool/fun ideas for the presentation part, since my position as the developer lets me integrate things in some pretty elaborate ways. Should be a good time, and have applications for future lists, too.

A system of cells interlinked
Sweet! I will compile a list and send it in soon...

Yeah! I'm excited for this! I've already started compiling my All Time Top 25 favorite movies....I've already made a preliminary list that must have 100 films so far.

This will be a fun countdown I can't wait to start checking out some movies to help me make my voting ballot.

Nicely done Yoda! I like how you laid out the opening post and the rules, nicely designed.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Time to make a list of 25 obscure masterpieces nobody else's going to vote for and then bemoan MoFos' taste all throughout the countdown.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Best of luck for the list but might as well ban me now then

We couldn't go with "Redux" instead of "Refresh"? Come on!

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Time to make a list of 25 obscure masterpieces nobody else's going to vote for and then bemoan MoFos' taste all throughout the countdown.
And how would this be different from your other ballots?

Excited for this!! Will probably wait a while to submit my ballot just in case I find anything... unlike a lot of people here I'm still finding new favorites every week!

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Excited for this!! Will probably wait a while to submit my ballot just in case I find anything... unlike a lot of people here I'm still finding new favorites every week!
Yup, your top 100 changes more than some people change their underwear!