Movie with a Cliff and a Fireplace where they hide

Tools    

Hi,

I saw a film I really liked some time ago - it was I would say from the 50s (maybe 60s) and it was about someone living in a house by a cliff with crashing waves.

He or She (can't remember) gets in contact with a medium or magician and tries to contact the dead (or something like that).

Some people hide in an adjacent room by the fireplace where they try to scare that person so they get something away from her/him.

Could you give me a clue to the title?

I've been searching for this film for some years now!

Thanks

Hey, Muviel. Sounds like you are looking for the movie "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir". If not, look over the list of ghost story movies, at
wikipedia dot .org

Hey mark f and Pareidolia - thanks a lot for the great suggestions!

I know those 3 movies I happen to like very much - especially "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir", one of my favourites - but no, unfortunately they are not the movie I'm looking for.

For a moment I thought I had found it when I started to see "The Uninvited" some months ago while searching for this film, but then I realised it was not the movie I saw, though I had already seen "The Uninvited" and I liked it very much.

The film I am talking about exists and it's quite special - it has a strange touch (kind of Ed Wood like) but it's a nice one believe me!

I think my girlfriend found it on a list on the internet where they listed "different and unique" films - maybe film noirs? I don't remember where!

EXTRA THINGS FROM THE FILM:

It's a black & white film. I think there was a scene at the beach under the cliff where there is the ghost of a woman that meets the main character at night - I guess it's the ghost of the deceased lover.

I think I remember the people that try to steal something hiding in the adjacent room/chamber do so to get the key to something (information) so they can access either getting the house or something of great value.

EDIT:

I found it!!! Here is the title:

The Amazing Mr. X

also known as The Spiritualist directed by Bernard Vorhaus.