Is it any wonder movie piracy is so popular?

Tools    

So I wanted to watch a film. I like watching my films on my television, and in surround sound. I watch them normally through Cable TV, my amazon fire tv and various other devices like a streaming box.

This film is only available on DVD or digital download. I looked at the download option but I don't have a compatible device to play it on my television. I don't like to watch movies on tablets phones or laptops and I don't have a roku tv or sky. I didn't want to buy the DVD, as I wanted to watch it tonight or tomorrow.

So what did I opt for?

I bought it on Youtube Movies via Google play for £6.99.

Why?

Everything is connected to youtube right?

Wrong. I tried the youtube app on the amazon fire tv. No joy not compatible. I tried it through the cable tv services - nope not compatible .I tried it through my streaming box youtube app- not compatible. Basically, the only way to get this movie is on a tablet, laptop or phone. So I'm going to have to connect my laptop to my television by HDMI and watch it that way...........and the wort part is I don't even get to use my surround sound that way.

I want to pay for movies I really do. But I'm afraid this is hardly going to incentivise me to do so.

Amazon stopped supporting Youtube from Jan 1st. I use Youtube using my PS4 or XBOX whichever is on at the time. If your movie choices are wide and varied, no streaming service will satisfy it, coz its all tailored to the common masses, so you have to go underground.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I don't have a phone with the internet, but I saw my cousin go to youtube.com/pair and synch it up... I use an HDMI and connect it to my TV - I also would never watch a movie on a laptop unless I had no other option.

I don't think anyone can rightly fault someone for being irritated by poorly constructed sale/access tools and then consuming the product/art online for free anyway since it's not working the way they want. Just don't abandon the notion of supporting artists and industries who's work and products you enjoy just because some things don't work out well.

What's your concern exactly? Supporting the industry that's making the products you're consuming? Because if it's supporting the creators and artists then I don't think buying it from Amazon is going to do that much. You may as well send $2 to the director and ask him to disperse it among the cast and crew and then send $15 to whoever owns Amazon and ask them to give a buck or two (total, not individually) to their employees. Really who's getting the money when we support these industries? Someone who owns a pile of corporations is getting most of it, and hardly anything reaches the people who actually made it. But if you want a corporation to continue giving you products then buy them. I bought a $400 Sony cell phone from a shop. I'd like Sony to continue making such products and shops to continue selling them to me. I have no assumption that whoever is really responsible for making that phone is necessarily getting fairly paid. My mother used to be a manager of a retail store, and the markup was 50%. So if someone bought something from her store half of that money went to the store and half went to the manufacturer. If someone is concerned about getting as much money as possible to the manufacturer then they should buy it directly from the manufacturer. If someone is concerned about supporting the existence of shops they like to physically go to and brows products from a range of manufacturers then they should buy things from shops to support them. And if someone wants to consume art and support artists then I think they should forgo shops and manufacturers, get the product online for free, and then send money directly to the artist (or even contact the artist and see about buying it directly from them, but usually some ownership rights prevent that). I also like to support small businesses, so I use their services or buy their products directly from them.

I think these corporations just want to keep a stranglehold on the industries they've built and don't pay artists fairly, so I don't have qualms about consuming a lot online for free. I try to support the industries/shops/artists that I like by buying their products if and when I can afford it. I try to have a balance in that regard so I do buy a fair amount directly from retailers.

What's your concern exactly? Supporting the industry that's making the products you're consuming?

My concern is that with all the technology available, I couldn't get a youtube video that I had purchased, on my television without hooking up a laptop to it. That is just odd.

Dont smart TVs have a pre installed Youtube app installed in them?

What's your concern exactly? Supporting the industry that's making the products you're consuming?

My concern is that with all the technology available, I couldn't get a youtube video that I had purchased, on my television without hooking up a laptop to it. That is just odd.
No no no... Don't give me that or "piracy" would not be part of it. That's not a piracy issue, that's a youtube issue or an Amazon issue.

I have no idea why people use online services at all tbh.

Does the $6.99 that ScarletLion spent mean he has to spend $6.99 every single time he wants to watch the movie?

Why not buy the DVD for $6.99, and have it forever?

Also, online is crap in every single respect.
Dodgy jpg image with tinny sound and lag? No thanks.

Just buy the disc and be done with it.

As for piracy... now I don't do it myself, but I can understand why people use pirated versions of movie that are still in the cinema.
It's stupidly priced these days in cinemas and the experience is totally lacking for what you pay.
Up to £30 per person, for ebola-cola and filthy seats.

The Google/Amazon streaming fight is the only significant inconvenience I've run into. They're fighting in this particular space so Amazon doesn't let you use its stuff easily with Chromecast or vice-versa. It's a little annoying but most things can be bought on one place or the other depending on whether you own a Fire stick or a Chromecast.

Anytime I watch a free movie online I wear an eye patch. I'll say Arrrrrrrg a lot too, when I get up and use the bathroom.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I don't think anyone can rightly fault someone for being irritated by poorly constructed sale/access tools and then consuming the product/art online for free anyway since it's not working the way they want. [...]
tl;dr, but so much effort - I will give you a rep. Don't spend it on something stupid, tho!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

tl;dr, but so much effort - I will give you a rep. Don't spend it on something stupid, tho!
I suppose the short of it is don't feel bad about pirating, but just support the artists/industries that you want to continue existing and thriving.

What does that have to do with piracy?

Because next time I want to use the service, I will probably think to check if there is a free version online rather than spend £6.99 to hook my laptop to my tv. That's on me. I get that.

Because next time I want to use the service, I will probably think to check if there is a free version online rather than spend £6.99 to hook my laptop to my tv. That's on me. I get that.
But I mean, why does a poorly constructed piece of technology lead you to piracy? Why not look for more reliable technology and support that instead of Amazon and Youtube? Like for example, why not buy the dvd off ebay instead?

But I mean, why does a poorly constructed piece of technology lead you to piracy? Why not look for more reliable technology and support that instead of Amazon and Youtube? Like for example, why not buy the dvd off ebay instead?
Because I don't want to buy DVDs. I prefer digital instead of physical. Reason being - I don't have enough space for mountains of DVDs, and secondly, if I do buy anything it will be a Blu Ray not a DVD.

It was just a hypothetical example. You are starting to sound like an entitled millenial now. Just be thankful you have all this stuff considering for over ten thousand years 98% of the population were peasant farmers and 30 was considered middle aged.

It was just a hypothetical example. You are starting to sound like an entitled millenial now. Just be thankful you have all this stuff considering for over ten thousand years 98% of the population were peasant farmers and 30 were considered middle aged.
Absolutely.

Sorry.

I was expecting a defensive response. I'm surprised you took that so well.
You make a good point. It's all discourse really. I could be a starving child on the streets of Caracas.