Is it any wonder movie piracy is so popular?

Tools    

I wonder, is it instinctive though to buy something and expect it to work? I get mad when stuff doesn't work. You must feel like the corporation stole from you, so now why not steal from them? That's only a natural emotional respons, and we can't control the chemical releases in our brain. But we're also rational moral beings and we can understand that two wrongs don't make a right. If someone steals from us so we get mad and steal from them we're being hypocritical I suppose. I think the best message we can send to corporations about what products we want is with our buying power. So I like to think of every purchase as a democratic vote in the free market economy and take it up as my responsibility to investigate a product before voting for it. We live in such wealthy societies that we get used to spending money without thinking and consuming entertainment and luxury like ravenous fiends.

Well it's something I lie awake at night thinking about as I do enjoy the benefits of Capitalism.

I do love the technology that allows us to have access to every piece of art ever created without the corporations being able to hord it all in vaults and charge vast summs to enter.

I wonder, is it instinctive though to buy something and expect it to work? I get mad when stuff doesn't work. You must feel like the corporation stole from you, so now why not steal from them? That's only a natural emotional respons, and we can't control the chemical releases in our brain. But we're also rational moral beings and we can understand that two wrongs don't make a right. If someone steals from us so we get mad and steal from them we're being hypocritical I suppose. I think the best message we can send to corporations about what products we want is with our buying power. So I like to think of every purchase as a democratic vote in the free market economy and take it up as my responsibility to investigate a product before voting for it. We live in such wealthy societies that we get used to spending money without thinking and consuming entertainment and luxury like ravenous fiends.
No, I don't have a loathing towards a particular company. I just don't understand why there is no way of putting youtube purchases on my tv. I have youtube on my tv. Just not my youtube purchases. That makes no sense.

My point regarding pirating movies isn't one of "sticking it to the man", it's more a case of literally using my precious time more wisely.

Well it's something I lie awake at night thinking about as I do enjoy the benefits of Capitalism.

I do love the technology that allows us to have access to every piece of art ever created without the corporations being able to hord it all in vaults and charge vast summs to enter.
It's great. Although I'd happily pay £7 a pop for every independently made movie in .mkv file. But this isn't an option. And that is what I find ludicrous. I genuinely think that studios would make millions more if they allowed this as an option.

This all reminds me of when Spotify started up and Metallica refused to put their songs on it. They were adamant that their material shouldn't be on a platform that gives music away for free. Then someone told Lars Ulrich that although it's for free, they'd get so many plays that they'd make a few million bucks a year from it. And hey presto, their songs were on spotify within 24 hours.

I think you answered your own question. Corporations need incentive, and the only incentive they really care about is money. As soon as they realise they can make more money that way someone will do it. But hey, there's an opportunity for you to sell that business to an entrepreneur or start your own company.

Youtube is owned by google who control a sizeable chunk of the surface web. But they only do what we let them get away with. You could send them an email explaining what happened and you might be surprised by their response. If they get feedback they can improve the service.

I'm trying to think of positive alterative solutions. I was using limewire and all that before torrents, but then I thought I wanted to support artists and industries so I started buying things if and when I could afford them. I still have zero qualms with watching lots of movies online for free.

There is a really interesting documentary on The Pirate Bay worth checking out.