V for Vendetta

Tools    

Originally Posted by chicagofrog
= how to make a movie dull in one lesson.

if people cannot be honest, looking back at their history and what gave them (at least a relative) freedom and play the dumb over-emotional card, it's their own fault. should we remind them all the friggin' time (a movie is made, a book is published, etc...) Resistance fought the Nazis with what they would call terrorist methods? that the borderline between terrorists and insurgents is more than vague and that the American Revolutionaries fighting the British army were what else than insurgents (= terrorists from the governmental point of view?)
Perhaps the events of 911 have made me a little more sensitive about acts of terrorism. I have no problem with V confronting his tormentors and killing them. In fact, I stated in my review, I would have liked a little more of that. But the wholesale, explosive destruction of massive buildings to make a point is a little too similar to another explosive destruction of massive buildings to make a point. Yes, it was sensational and made good cinema but it also made that kind of activity a little more acceptable. And I don't believe it is acceptable.

Do I believe filmmakers should have the right to blow up buildings, towns, cities or planets in their films? Absolutely. Do I believe it's a little irresponsible to imply that it's acceptable even if innocents may be involved? Absolutely.
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by Twain
Perhaps the events of 911 have made me a little more sensitive about acts of terrorism.
nice to read you!
sensitivity apart, and okay, we don't know if the building was empty, but if it was? i really would rather advocate non murderous terrorist acts than murders, even in "small" numbers. my opinion.
and i don't think movies justify such acts anyway, like i don't believe anyone intelligent would throw himself from a building after watching Superman (though it happened in my building when i was a kid) or start killing people after Psycho. if some do, they already had a serious problem before that, and would ultimately act in the same direction anyway, whether after a drink or an argument or a failed love relationship. and freedom of expression has to be kept in arts, books or movies among them.

Ninjas make movies cooler
Originally Posted by Sedai
I am not holding out too much hope for Watchmen, as yet another director (Anofsky this time) has bailed off of the project, adding more delays. Couple this fact with the obvious difficulty of the project, and I think that whatever we do get, will be sub-par. V for Vendetta seems a bit more achievable at this point. Moore is also one of my favorites, although he is pretty much all done at this point, from what I have read. Hopefully after his break he will come back with some fresh ideas and some cool new stories. Meanwhile, I ingest whatever Ellis, Busiak, Bendis, and Straczynski I can get a hold of...

I dont see why they just dont get a more dedicated director to do Watchmen. Of course if its not the director mabye they need to get better actors or a whole new script!

I am having a nervous breakdance
I just posted this in the Movie Tab thread and thought I'd post it here as well... Just to stirr things up..

I really think this film pretty much sucked. As I understand it, it's developed some kind of cult following and according to imdb.com it's the 150th best film ever made. I beg to differ. It's really unoriginal. Take one part Beauty and the Beast, one part Phantom of the Opera, add lots of Matrix and Zorro and a twist of that Vega character in Street Fighter. Have an unexperienced debuting director mix it all together and, voilą, you have V for Vendetta! It totally failed to engage me on any level all the way through it. Sorry all you fans...

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
I just posted this in the Movie Tab thread and thought I'd post it here as well... Just to stirr things up..

I really think this film pretty much sucked. As I understand it, it's developed some kind of cult following and according to imdb.com it's the 150th best film ever made. I beg to differ. It's really unoriginal. Take one part Beauty and the Beast, one part Phantom of the Opera, add lots of Matrix and Zorro and a twist of that Vega character in Street Fighter. Have an unexperienced debuting director mix it all together and, voilą, you have V for Vendetta! It totally failed to engage me on any level all the way through it. Sorry all you fans...
Someone get this lunatic into a straight jacket please.

Just kidding your opinions matter to me, even if they oppose mine.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Equilibrium
Someone get this lunatic into a straight jacket please.

Just kidding your opinions matter to me, even if they oppose mine.
I just don't get it. It's received quite good reviews as well. I guess I could just read the 9 pages of this thread - or you could give me a quick walk through.

I saw V 5 times at the movies...i am dying for the dvd release on this film...does anyone know if there is a possibility for a part 2 to it. I know the ending V died...but who knows maybe they can bring him back...dunno...just a thought...anyone know anything about a possible part 2 to it??

Originally Posted by usachatnow
I saw V 5 times at the movies...i am dying for the dvd release on this film...does anyone know if there is a possibility for a part 2 to it. I know the ending V died...but who knows maybe they can bring him back...dunno...just a thought...anyone know anything about a possible part 2 to it??

tears
http://www.usachatnow.com/

WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU SPOIL THE MOVIE!?! JEEZ OTHER PEOPLE HAVEN'T SEEN THIS YET.

i am one who has seen it though.

The Reaping 7/10
Transformers 8.5/10
Flight of the Living Dead 6/10
The Invisible 6/10
Return to House on Haunted Hill 1/10
Planet Terror 8/10
A Mighty Heart 7/10

this is such a great flick! anyone know when it comes out on dvd?!

There is a fan fiction continuance of plots under the name "V-dom for Freedom". V2 is called 'the rEViVal EVolVes'. V3 is 'EVasiVe'. V4 is 'EVocatiVe' and V5 is 'dEViatiVe'.

One of my all time favorite movies. I used to know V's monologue by heart the first time I met and saved Evey. Unfortunately now the V symbol has taken on other colors...