Time-sensitive: recommend me some comics/graphic novels!

Tools    

I'm going to be on a few long flights in a couple of days, and I'd like to intersperse some comics or graphic novels with the books and music I'll be bringing.

I'll be using an iPad/comiXology, so it has to be something available from their store. Probably looking for something fairly involved, but not insanely so. I've read a handful of the really highly praised stuff already, such as:
  • Watchmen
  • Sandman
  • Y: The Last Man
  • Saga
  • Sweet Tooth
  • The Walking Dead
  • Lots of classic Batmans
I'm open-minded about whether or not I want to read one big story, a handful of shorter ones, or whatever. But I'm looking for self-contained stories, and I like high-concept and/or sci-fi stuff. Highbrow horror is good, too.

I'd need to buy these no later than tomorrow (and ideally tonight), so please let me know ASAP if you guys have any recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

Try something by Daniel Clowes.

Have you read Legends of the Dark Knight, it's a much dark series than the usual Batman comics. Give the first 20 issues a try.
If you want something printed recently with Batman, give Court of Owls a try.

Have you read Maus? That's an excellent read

Give the last year's Moon Knight by Warren Ellis a try, Also Matt Fraction's Hawkeye.

You could also read some Doctor Strange by Steve Englehart to prepare you for the movie.

Also give Warren Ellis's Fell and Desolation Jones a try.

Oh. Hm.

Dont read Sin City, the movie did do it justice and it wouldnt thrill you as much on just a storywise scale.

......this is a dangerous suggestion, but Cerebus, Cerebus High Society, and Cerebus Church & State I & II. Making up altogether 125 comics. It is the most unique comic series ever made, gets political, and pulls no punches vs religion either. Push thru the first 25 issues which reads like a glib Conan, and then it really gets cookin in High Society, reintroducing all those chartacters in some bizarre truly connected capacity. Dave Sim plays homage to the greats in literature & film, and just tears apart others.

Have you read Animal Man or Swamp Thing?
I have not.

I'm looking mainly for self-contained stories when possible, and I tend to like high concept stuff. Dunno if that precludes any of the recommendations (thanks, by the way!).

I have not.

If this makes a difference to any recommendations: I'm looking mainly for self-contained stories when possible, and I tend to like high concept stuff. Dunno if that precludes any of the recommendations (thanks, by the way!).
Dave Sim in Cerebus touches on characters from other comics, movies, tv, and its the most brilliant political AND religious satire ever produced in the comic book world. Again, push thru the first 25 issues then put on your seatbelt when High Society starts.

Eh, it depends on what "satire" means. Most modern satire is just dressed up disdain. And while I don't mind (and often even seek out) critiques of these things, if it's basically just dumping on religion then it's probably not good fodder for relaxing on a plane.

More importantly, though, I don't think I'll be on there long enough to push through dozens of issues. I need something that'll hook me quick and easy!

Looking up some of the recs in here, and a few others caught my eye. Any one read these/have opinions about them?

Ei8ht
American Werewolves
Wytches
Negative Space

Eh, it depends on what "satire" means. Most modern satire is just dressed up disdain. And while I don't mind (and often even seek out) critiques of these things, if it's basically just dumping on religion then it's probably not good fodder for relaxing on a plane.

More importantly, though, I don't think I'll be on there long enough to push through dozens of issues. I need something that'll hook me quick and easy!
Well I think the only religious sect or figure he didnt pick on was Jesus Christ. He even got a jab in at the muslims in the last issue on the way out (issue 300).

Someone suggested Swamp Thing earlier, but to be more specific, the Alan Moore Swamp Things if you can find TPBs for them.

Also read Y: The Last Man. Apparently I really suck at remembering this stuff. Will go edit that into the first post, too. Oh, and I really liked it.

Thanks for the other recommendations. Checking them out.

Awesome, thanks man.

So far I've decided to buy Ei8ht, because it seems high-concept and it's already done. There's a free trial thing with a "borrow" feature for the first week, so I downloaded Severed and part of East of West, and the first two volumes of The Sixth Gun, which I read one issue of awhile back and liked well enough, but didn't get around to continuing.

I'll be checking out all these other recommendations soon though. Hoping to have a nice bunch all ready to go by tonight.