Let's Talk about Movie Musicals

Tools    

Not a super huge fan of the genre. But the Red Shoes and Singing in the Rain do stand out for me in that category.

The trick is not minding
I still have a lot to watch when it comes to musicals, but my two faves that stand above all others so far would be Singing in the Rain and Yankee Doodle Dandy.
I still need to rent The Sound of Music, My Fair Lady, and Mary Poppins in the next month so I can finally watch them.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I still have a lot to watch when it comes to musicals, but my two faves that stand above all others so far would be Singing in the Rain and Yankee Doodle Dandy.
I still need to rent The Sound of Music, My Fair Lady, and Mary Poppins in the next month so I can finally watch them.

Singin' in the Rain and Yankee Doodle Dandy are two of my favorite musicals. I'm one of the few people who prefers Gene Kelly's dancing over Fred Astaire's dancing. And James Cagney was amazing as George M. Cohan. It's a shame that he didn't make more musicals.

All three of the other movies you mentioned are must-see musicals for any fans of classic musicals. The Sound of Music is good, but IMO it doesn't hold up as well as some of the other classic musicals. (The songs do, but the movie doesn't have the rewatchability of most other musicals.) My Fair Lady, and Mary Poppins are among the best, and can stand up to many rewatches. Rex Harrison doesn't have a great singing voice, but he has a unique way of "speak-singing" that makes him worth watching. And Dick Van Dyke has always been one of my favorite actors. I know that many people complain about his accent in Mary Poppins, but it doesn't bother me at all.

The trick is not minding

Singin' in the Rain and Yankee Doodle Dandy are two of my favorite musicals. I'm one of the few people who prefers Gene Kelly's dancing over Fred Astaire's dancing. And James Cagney was amazing as George M. Cohan. It's a shame that he didn't make more musicals.

All three of the other movies you mentioned are must-see musicals for any fans of classic musicals. The Sound of Music is good, but IMO it doesn't hold up as well as some of the other classic musicals. (The songs do, but the movie doesn't have the rewatchability of most other musicals.) My Fair Lady, and Mary Poppins are among the best, and can stand up to many rewatches. Rex Harrison doesn't have a great singing voice, but he has a unique way of "speak-singing" that makes him worth watching. And Dick Van Dyke has always been one of my favorite actors. I know that many people complain about his accent in Mary Poppins, but it doesn't bother me at all.
Yeah, they’re essential to watch I my opinion, and so I shall~

The trick is not minding
Also, to add on to it.....even if one isn’t a fan of musicals, they’re still essential just to get an idea of the musicals from that decade. They were quite different from today’s musicals.

Watched My Fair Lady for the first time this past summer and it's outstanding. I prefer Fred over Gene so I would recommend Top Hat. If Gene is more your bag For Me and My Gal with Judy Garland isn't too bad and it's noteworthy because it was his first film.

I just watched White Christmas (1954) blu ray, OMG that looked so good in technicolor...And what pacing, the movie moves along from scene to scene at a perfect rate. Directed by the legendary Michael Curtiz with good old Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye...paired up with George Clooney's aunt Rosemary Clooney and vivacious Vera-Ellen. It's witty, charming, some fun songs and a couple really great dance numbers all set in a ski lodge in Vermont.

Does it sound like I'm trying to get you to watch it at Christmas time? Why by jolly I am

I love all four musicals you mentioned, especially The Music Man. It's one of my all-time favorite musicals. My favorite song from The Music Man is "Marian the Librarian".

It's nice to see some love for Brigadoon. It's one of my favorite Gene Kelly movies.
I love The Music Man too... "Marian the Librarian" is my favorite number in the musical too...Onna White's choreography is brilliant.

Not a super huge fan of the genre. But the Red Shoes and Singing in the Rain do stand out for me in that category.
Nice to see some love for The Red Shoes, though I don't really consider it a musical.

It depends on which one, and the music. From all I've seen, my top 5 would be:

1. Singin' in the Rain
2. Across the Universe
3. The Phantom of the Opera
4. Sweeney Todd
5. Chicago
Nice to see some love for Chicago and Sweeney Todd...first rate film versions of Broadway musicals that many believed were impossible to translate to film.

I'm not a fan of musicals, especially the old classics, but I recently watched The Rocky Horror Picture Show and loved it, so I guess that would be my favorite musical by default.

I also really like Scorsese's New York, New York, but it probably qualifies more as a drama than a musical.

Great to see some love for New York New York...one of the most underrated musicals out there. Minnelli is superb.

I don't know if you're aware of this Citizen, but the DVD of Annie Get Your Gun does feature some Judy Garland footage oh it.
It's been a long time since my one and only viewing of Annie Get Your Gun, I loved that movie and Betty Hutton in it. I seen the Judy Garland original take of I'm an Indian Too, really wild costumes and staging, it's a cool number.

Looking at this thread... So many mentions of Singing in the Rain!!

Don't kill me for it... I like Frozen too!

Nice to see some love for The Red Shoes, though I don't really consider it a musical.
Blimey... It isn't??? I always thought it was! Mandela effect is it?

Seven Brides For Seven Brothers (1954) is not only a great MGM musical, but it has some of the most breathtaking pyrotechnic dance routines on film. When I watch it today, it's still hard to believe they actually performed those dance routines. Stars Howard Keel and Jane Powell. Directed by Stanley Donen.

~Doc

I've been waiting for months to see a thread like this hit these boards. Musicals are my favorite film genre and if you go to my review thread, you will find reviews of dozens of musicals, including the ones listed here. Some of my favorites:

Cabaret
West Side Story
The Band Wagon
Fiddler on the Roof
The Band Wagon
A Star is Born (1954)
Funny Girl
Jesus Christ Superstar
Tommy
The Sound of Music
Singin in the Rain
Dreamgirls
Chicago
All that Jazz
The Pajama Game
Damn Yankees
How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying
The King & I
Carousel
Grease
Hairspray
Summer Stock
Oklahoma!
Way back when, Gideon mentioned How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying (1967).

This movie doesn't get a lot of mention and I wonder how many people are aware of it.

I always got a kick out of it and it takes on a whole new perspective watching it in a post "MeToo" age.

This was the movie that made me think Robert Morse could have or would have been the Jerry Lewis of the 60's if not for Jerry Lewis!

Coincidence? The Secret of My Success (1987) starring Michael J. Fox almost seems like a direct remake sans the music, but no official connection was ever made.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Watched My Fair Lady for the first time this past summer and it's outstanding. I prefer Fred over Gene so I would recommend Top Hat. If Gene is more your bag For Me and My Gal with Judy Garland isn't too bad and it's noteworthy because it was his first film.

I've seen For Me and My Gal. It's a great movie, but it's not my favorite Gene Kelly movie. As much as I love Singin' in the Rain, that's not my favorite Kelly movie either. That honor goes to Brigadoon (1954).