Let's Talk about Movie Musicals

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Sure, I like musicals and love really good ones. You showed 16 good or better musicals from 1934 to 1965, so I approve. My fave musical is Cabaret, my favorite song is tough, but I'll bite the bullet and say "Gee, Officer Krupke" from West Side Story, and my fave singer is Judy Garland. My favorite original musicals not based on Broadway plays are Singin' in the Rain, The Wizard of Oz and Meet Me in St. Louis. My favorite dancers are Gene Kelly, Astaire & Rogers and Cyd Charisse. My second fave score would be My Fair Lady. I'll post some more later.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I love the old classic musicals. It's so hard to pick just one fave, but some of my faves are "West Side Story", "Oklahoma", "Singin' in the Rain", "Damn Yankees" and "My Fair Lady".

Even though he's not really known for musicals, I love James Cagney in "Yankee Doodle Dandy". He was just so perfect in that role.

I'm not sure what my favorite song would be, but it's probably something from "West Side Story" because I think that movie has the best overall soundtrack.

I know most people think that Fred Astaire was a better dancer than Gene Kelly, but I absolutely love Gene Kelly. I think he's amazing. His dances were so clever. I can barely walk on roller skates, but he did a whole dance routine on them.

MovieGal, I love your first three movies, but I just don't get "Tommy" or "The Wall". I thought the movies were a bit confusing, and I think they're just not my type of music.

But there are some more modern musicals that I like. "Xanadu", "Grease", "Eddie and the Cruisers", and "Thunder Alley" are a few that come to mind.

And some musicals that came from Broadway shows like "Mamma Mia", "Phantom of the Opera" and "Les Miserables" were some of my favorites.

I read that Hugh Jackman is going to star in a movie version of "Barnum". I saw "Barnum" on Broadway with Jim Dale, and on DVD with Michael Crawford. I think he has some big shoes to fill, but I think he'll be amazing as P.T. Barnum.

MovieGal, I love your first three movies, but I just don't get "Tommy" or "The Wall". I thought the movies were a bit confusing, and I think they're just not my type of music.

But there are some more modern musicals that I like. "Xanadu", "Grease", "Eddie and the Cruisers", and "Thunder Alley" are a few that come to mind.

And some musicals that came from Broadway shows like "Mamma Mia", "Phantom of the Opera" and "Les Miserables" were some of my favorites.

I read that Hugh Jackman is going to star in a movie version of "Barnum". I saw "Barnum" on Broadway with Jim Dale, and on DVD with Michael Crawford. I think he has some big shoes to fill, but I think he'll be amazing as P.T. Barnum.
Actually Im glad you brought that up.... I do enjoy "Xanada" and "Phantom of the Opera" .. no clue why they slipped my mind.

I own an original vinyl copy of the full album of "Xanada" and the single vinyl of "Suddenly" as well as the DVD and VHS.

Actually Im glad you brought that up.... I do enjoy "Xanadu" and "Phantom of the Opera" .. no clue why they slipped my mind.

I own an original vinyl copy of the full album of "Xanadu" and the single vinyl of "Suddenly" as well as the DVD and VHS.

It's hard not to like a musical that has Olivia Newton-John and Gene Kelly in it.

A few years ago, someone posted a video on YouTube of the recent movie version of "Phantom of the Opera", but with Michael Crawford's voice from either the London or Broadway soundtrack. It was amazing because the voice and the lip movements were almost perfect. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find it for a long time, so it must have been removed.

The only musical I love is Hedwig and the Angry Inch and I guess that would make John Cameron Mitchell my favorite singer in a musical.

Favorite Song:

If we're counting animated features, then another favorite is Charlotte's Web, with Templeton's fair song being my favorite, of course.

I'm not a fan of musicals, especially the old classics, but I recently watched The Rocky Horror Picture Show and loved it, so I guess that would be my favorite musical by default.

I also really like Scorsese's New York, New York, but it probably qualifies more as a drama than a musical.

If we're counting animated features, then another favorite is Charlotte's Web, with Templeton's fair song being my favorite, of course.

Of course animated features count. Some of the best songs are from Disney's musicals.

This song is one of my faves from an animated movie, and it's not even from a Disney movie.

I'm not a fan of musicals, especially the old classics, but I recently watched The Rocky Horror Picture Show and loved it, so I guess that would be my favorite musical by default.

Rocky Horror is a fun musical. Have you ever been to the theatre and did all the theatrics with the film?

I've been waiting for months to see a thread like this hit these boards. Musicals are my favorite film genre and if you go to my review thread, you will find reviews of dozens of musicals, including the ones listed here. Some of my favorites:

Cabaret
West Side Story
The Band Wagon
Fiddler on the Roof
The Band Wagon
A Star is Born (1954)
Funny Girl
Jesus Christ Superstar
Tommy
The Sound of Music
Singin in the Rain
Dreamgirls
Chicago
All that Jazz
The Pajama Game
Damn Yankees
How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying
The King & I
Carousel
Grease
Hairspray
Summer Stock
Oklahoma!

After the success of the live version of "The Sound of Music" with Carrie Underwood, NBC has announced that their next live musical will be "Peter Pan", followed by "The Music Man" in 2015, and Fox has announced that they will do a live version of "Grease".

Who do you think should star in the new live versions of these musicals?

The Wizard Of Oz
The Muppet Movie
The Blues Brothers
The Happiness Of The Katakuris
Little Shop Of Horrors
Dancer In The Dark
Idlewild
The Saddest Music In The World
The Nightmare Before Christmas
An American Tail
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I just watched Fiddler on the Roof this past week, and that was amazing. I absolutely love musicals, though I haven't seen very many.

My favorites:

Fiddler on the Roof
West Side Story
Jesus Christ Superstar
Chicago
Rent
The Sound of Music
Little Shop of Horrors
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Doctor Horrible's Sing Along Blog
Rock of Ages
Cannibal The Musical
Repo! The Genetic Opera

I'm sure there are more that I'd like out there. There's just something about movies where people burst into song for no reason that just gets me.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

The Nightmare Before Christmas
Can't believe I forgot about that one. Another animated musical I love. Actually I love it more so than Charlotte's Web, though I still enjoy Templeton's fair song more than any one song in Nightmare.

I love all the wonderful musicals from Hollywood's Golden Age.

Almost any musical with Judy Garland is great fun. And all the old Busby Berkeley-Warner Bros. musicals are one of a kind.

I just rewatched Calamity Jane with Doris Day and the great Howard Keel. It' was even better the second time around. Keel was in many fine musicals.

I love all the wonderful musicals from Hollywood's Golden Age.

Almost any musical with Judy Garland is great fun. And all the old Busby Berkeley-Warner Bros. musicals are one of a kind.

I just rewatched Calamity Jane with Doris Day and the great Howard Keel. It' was even better the second time around. Keel was in many fine musicals.

I agree about Judy Garland. She had a wonderful voice, and made some great musicals. As much as I love her in "The Wizard of Oz", I love her even more when I get to see her perform with Gene Kelly in movies like "For Me and My Gal" and "Summer Stock".

Only twice for "Calamity Jane"? For some reason, every time I watch that movie I like to watch it as a double feature with "Annie Get Your Gun". Howard Keel also had an amazing voice.