Hammer Films

Tools    

The Quatermass Experiment, Horror Of Dracula, The Curse Of Frankenstein and that's all I've seen. I'm surprised I even took the chance with those as I usually tread away from this kind of shtick, but if you could recommend something else I'd probably take you up on it

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
To the Devil... a Daughter is one of the better post-Rosemary's Baby/The Exorcist flicks with a very young (and naked) Nastassja Kinski. Quatermass and the Pit is a pretty trippy combo sci-fi/horror flick with all kinds of implications about where humankind and the Devil come from. I prefer The Revenge of Frankenstein to the earlier The Curse of Frankenstein, and The Hound of the Baskervilles with Cushing and Lee still holds up pretty well.

They certainly made their share of garbage, but I've seen a large percentage of it, albeit most of them only once.

Semper Fooey
The third and best of the Quartermass movies.

Semper Fooey
The entire movie is on youtube and has been there since 2007 so copyright holders don't seem worried about it.

A system of cells interlinked
I've just seen The Hound...

It was entertaining enough.

Ooh, now we're talking. I love the bad with the good and the great.

Here's some of the best and some of my favourites. As usual, they're not always the same films.

The Curse of Frankenstein
The Plague Of The Zombies
The Hands Of The Ripper
Dr Jekyll & Sister Hyde
Dracula (1958)
The Brides Of Dracula
Twins Of Evil
Countess Dracula
The Vampire Lovers
Lust For A Vampire
From Beyond The Grave
Dracula Has Risen From The Grave
The Satanic Rites Of Dracula
The Horror Of Frankenstein (this is just for Kate O'Mara, really. I wouldn't recommend it otherwise)
The Maniac
Straight On Till Morning
The Nanny
The Witches
To The Devil A Daughter
The Hound Of The Baskervilles
The Man Who Could Cheat Death
Vampire Circus
Kiss of The Vampire

I'd also recommend taking an interest in Amicus Productions (especially if you like the portmanteau films) and other British horror from between the late 50's and early/mid 70's.

The Wicker Man
The Blood On Satan's Claw
The Witchfinder General
Dr. Terror's House Of Horror
The House That Dripped Blood
Death Line
The Vault Of Horror
Horror Express
The Tomb Of Ligeia (ok, this is Roger Corman, but he shot it all over here)

Being a horror fan, I'm kinda embarrassed to admit this ... but the only Hammer Horror I remember seeing is Hound of The Baskervilles. I may have seen others when I was younger, but that's the only one I remember for sure. Never was big on Troma Horror either.

Ooh, Theatre Of Blood is a great one, will. I can't believe I forgot that. That said, even though I think of it as British horror, it's MGM and, therefore, it's certainly not Hammer.

HK< I went through your list. I think I might have seen most of them.. but can't recall much..

The ones I remember clearly seeing are: Horror Express & Vampire Circus.... I love both of them.
& I have even mentioned them around here before..

Will check out the rest.

^ I thought it was an excellent mellow supernatural horror(I live not that far from where they filmed the village scenes in the film, so it was nice to see that all in the film). Some of their 00s releases have been rather good so far. Wake Wood is an interesting film to see if you haven't. The Resident was an absolute waste of time. And I'm in the minority but I really liked their adapatation of Let The Right One In - Let Me In.

The Woman In Black is definitely their best release so far since they started up again a few years back.

Was The Woman in Black any good?
Kathy and I caught this last week and were bored to tears. Extremely cliched stuff that moves at a snail's pace with only the sumptuous photography and locations to recommend it. There's far better Hammer stuff out there even if they don't feature Daniel Radcliff in his first major role since Harry Potter.

The Devil Rides Out (1968) is one of the very best and my personal recommendation. Though I'd also recommend...

The Vampire Lovers and the rest of the Karnstein trilogy, Lust for A Vampire (cheesy but fun), and Twins Of Evil (return to form).

Captain Kronos:Vampire Hunter - extremely good fun plus Caroline Munroe looking sexy as a gypsy girl.

HK's excellent list pretty much covers the rest of a mixed bunch. Though I'd like to reiterate Countess Dracula, To the Devil A Daughter (more Dennis Wheatley goodness) and the non Hammer Death Line aka Raw Meat (slow but rewarding).This is assuming you've already seenTigon classics The Wicker Man, and Blood on Satan's Claw. I also agree Horror Express and Vampire Circus are both great - particulalary the former.

Another good one is Tigon's The Creeping Flesh, an excellent monster flick in the Hammer vein.

I'll also throw in The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires for Shaw Brothers crossover laughs, and the non Hammer Fu Manchu films with Christopher Lee for added camp value...

The Face of Fu Manchu
The Brides of Fu Manchu
The Vengeance of Fu Manchu
The Blood of Fu Manchu

Instead of The Woman In Black do yourself a favour and check out The Legend of Hell House a top notch ghost flick from the Hammer period.

Or check those out too but see the Woman in Black also Genesis pig, didn't think anything was extremely cliche at all. Rather sad film, was not bored in the slightest.

didn't think anything was extremely cliche at all. .
I'm sorry, but I simply must disagree. Watkins and co. wheel out every ghost story cliche going - including suspicious locals, creaking noises, locked doors that mysteriously open when your back's turned, a sickly looking child, and le pièce de résistance...ghostly figures appearing in windows. *Yawns loudly having seen it all before at least a hundred times*