Man From UNCLE

Tools    

EXCLUSIVE: Steven Soderbergh Taking on 'Man From U.N.C.L.E.'

Originally Posted by hollywoodreporter
Steven Soderbergh is in early talks to take over directing duties on the long-in-development film The Man From U.N.C.L.E. at Warner Bros. Scott Z. Burns, who wrote Soderbergh’s The Informant and the director’s upcoming medical thriller Contagion, is negotiating to come aboard as writer.
Warners has been working on a big-screen adaptation of the U.N.C.L.E. TV series since the 1990s, most recently with Max Borenstein rewriting a script by David Wilson as a directing vehicle for David Dobkin.
The Wilson-Borenstein script was considered strong by Warners, but Dobkin is now moving to the role of producer, along with John Davis, and Burns will write a new script.
U.N.C.L.E. aired on NBC from 1964-68, during a Cold War period that saw numerous spy shows hit the airwaves. James Bond author Ian Fleming was even a creator of the show, which focused on the adventures of American and Russian members of a secret agency called the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement.
&nbspobkin (Wedding Crashers, Fred Claus) was expected to aim for the action-comedy wheelhouse for U.N.C.L.E. But with Soderbergh’s varied resume, from the light touches of Erin Brockovich andthe Ocean’s Eleven movies to the more emotionally complex films like Traffic and Solaris, there’s no telling which way the project will go.
Soderbergh, repped by Anonymous Content, has Haywire, his first foray into action territory, with Channing Tatum, Michael Fassbender, Ewan McGregor and Michael Douglas, in the can for Relativity and is shooting Contagion, a thriller with another all-star cast, this one featuring Matt Damon, Jude Law and Kate Winslett, among others. The director will aim to shoot U.N.C.L.E. at the end of next year.
Burns, repped by UTA and Anonymous, worked on The Bourne Ultimatum and wrote and directed the HBO movie PU-239.
Lynn Harris is overseeing U.N.C.L.E. for Warners.
George Clooney Eyeing 'Man from U.N.C.L.E.'

Originally Posted by hollywoodreporter
George Clooney is eyeing reteaming with frequent collaborator Steven Soderbergh on Man From U.N.C.L.E.
Heat Vision broke the news Tuesday of Soderbergh's involvement, and it didn't take long to get tongues wagging that Clooney could be boarding the Warner Bros. project.
The actor has talked and met with Soderbergh about playing agent Napoleon Solo in the movie, which according to the Playlist will retain the 1960s setting of the original series. (But not the black-and-white coloring of the show’s first season. Drat.)
The project is still in the early stages of development, with Soderbergh and Clooney busy with their own projects, so it may a be a while before the two connect.
Soderbergh is shooting Contagion, a thriller starring Matt Damon, Jude Law and Marion Cotillard, and is planning on shooting a Liberace biopic. CAA-repped Clooney, meanwhile, is prepping The Ides of March, which he is directing and starring in alongside Ryan Gosling, Paul Giamatti and Marisa Tomei. That film has a December 2011 release date.

I have seen few of the movies when I was a kid.. I used to love it.

Soderbergh would be a great choice for this, fine with CLooney as well..
Far better than what they have done with Green Hornet.

I loved the TV show and films with Robert Vaughn. I also loved the TV show I-Spy. I hope this film turns out better than Eddie Murphy and Owen Wilson in the I-Spy movie.

I couldn't go past 10 minutes of that Eddie Murphy movie.
I also didn't bother watching Steve Carrell's Get Smart.

I am hoping that if Soderbergh takes on Man from UNCLE, it would be cool if he sets it during the cold war.

Yes, UNCLE should be a "period piece." I don't want to see it updated to modern-day. Napolean Solo and Illya Kuriakin in the 1960s, like it was meant to be. And don't try to make it a comedy. It needs some level of humor, but don't turn it into a parody of the show.

The Brady Bunch Movie was great. I was against the idea of it, but keeping the family exactly as they were in the '70s, but moving them to the '90s (and the fantastic Monkees cameo), actually worked well for that show.

I also enjoyed the Dan Aykroyd-Tom Hanks Dragnet. But making a mockery of a great TV show just because it's old doesn't normally work for me. Probably because I am likely a fan of the old show. I used to stay up all night during the summer watching Nick at Nite - Mr. Ed, Dobie Gillis, Donna Reed, Green Acres, I-Spy, Man From UNCLE, etc.

Semper Fooey
I loved Dobie Gillis, much better than Gilligan's Island. They did spy stuff, too, and with Barbara Bain sounding like Natasha.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I'm getting the fever...so I will probably see this or F4.

Probaly this, because of Ms. Alicia wearing 60's attire.

I'm getting the fever...so I will probably see this or F4.

Probaly this, because of Ms. Alicia wearing 60's attire.

I would skip F4, it doesn't look good in the slightest.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Looks pretty bad. Just going by the trailer it doesn't seem to know the tone it's going for. Is it a straight-up spy thriller, or a bit of a 'winking to the audience' parody? It comes off like Ritchie wanted to make another Sherlock Holmes movie but Downey was busy with Marvel so he did this in the meantime, except it's lost all the best elements of the Sherlock films; no Downey Jr, no interplay between Downey and Jude Law, no Victorian period setting etc. The only thing that has remained is perhaps the least wanted - Guy Ritchie!

Don't know what the film's budget is but wouldn't be surprised if this bombed. Neither Cavill or Hammer are big names that will draw audiences in and I don't know there's really an audience left over from the original TV show. I think it will need some strong reviews and word-of-mouth or else it could sink without a trace. (Now watch it make $500 million just to make me look like an idiot! )

I have to return some videotapes.
Only reason I'll ever watch this is for the David Beckham cameo.

Looks sh*t to me in general though...
I thought you liked Guy Ritchie...?

I agree with MadMikey that The Man from Uncle should be a period piece, still set in the 1960's and I think George Clooney is an excellent choice to play Napoleon Solo.

I actually think the trailer looks really fun. It's stylish and everybody involved looks like they're enjoying themselves. It definitely won't make money, but I think it could actually be really good. I can guarentee that it ends up with a higher RT score than Fantastic Four reboot.