Judge Dredd Remake

Tools    

First Still of Karl Urban As "Dredd"

Today, the publisher released the very first still of actor Karl Urban as Judge Dredd from the upcoming "Dredd" – which began filming this month in Cape Town, South Africa – on their company message boards.

After the panned 1995 American adaptation of the publisher's signature character made it look as though Judge Dredd would never make his way to film again, 2000AD partnered last year with independent studio IM Global to bring a more faithful, R-Rated take on the Mega-City One lawman to the screen.
“The main thing about Dredd is that it’s a fantastic comic that was completely messed up 20 years ago,” producer Andrew Macdonald told Empire earlier this year. “Our idea is to make a very hard, R-rated, gritty, realistic movie of Dredd in Mega-City, so we’ve got to get the tone right. He’s not going to take off his helmet. His bike is going to feel real. He’s going to hit people and it’s going to feel real.”
Directed by Pete Travis from a screenplay by Alex Garland with concept illustrations provided by Jock and co-starring Olivia Thirlby as trainee Cassandra Anderson, "Dredd" will be distributed in the U.S. by Lionsgate.

Anyone who's ever read an issue of 2000 A.D. would probably say this is infinitely more promising than the Sylvester Stallone version. At least Dredd's helmet will stay on for this one.

Semper Fooey
Yeah, that's why the Srallone didn't work. It was the helmet.

I'd rather see a movie of this American created by the Brits.

You ready? You look ready.
Oh, this is horrible. Judge Dredd was bad, but dammit...it was a fabulous bad...and you don't mess with that kind of bad.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Oh, this is horrible. Judge Dredd was bad, but dammit...it was a fabulous bad...and you don't mess with that kind of bad.
I don't know if you have ever read any of Judge Dredd comics.
But they are beyond excellent.. very well written & has a lot of potential to be translated onto the silver screen.

Now I don't know how these guys are doing it, just hoping it turns out well.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
I don't understand replacing a Director when your already in the editing stage.

Dredd director fired at last minute

Oct 8, 2011

Pete Travis’s upcoming Dredd reboot is now in post-production, but there’s a small problem, he’s no longer involved with the film. Sources are telling 24 Frames that Travis was asked to step down after what appears to be creative differences between him and the studio. So, who’s replacing him? None other than Screenwriter Alex Garland, who’s never directed a film before. While that may not sound bad considering the film is now in the editing phase, there’s the question of whether or not the film will need reshoots.
It’s rather odd for this to happen with a film, but it’s not unheard of. Many may remember that Stephen Sommers was reportedly fired during post-production of G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra after some negative test screenings. However, it may get to a point where Garland may seek to get a c0-directing credit for the film despite being a Screenwriter. Many will probably take this as a sign of the film’s quality and that it will flop, but this same situation didn’t stop G.I. Joe from making some money (enough to warrant a sequel) at the box-office.

Having grown up with 2000AD I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this one, but I suspect Judge Dredd is something that will never really work as a live action film.

Danny Cannon's movie was a disaster despite Stallone putting in a good effort. They just made too many concessions for mainstream audiences turing the whole thing into high camp when it should have been hard as nails.

Besides. HK's right about Robocop which handled similar subject matter brilliantly - Judge Dredd is really just a Dirty Harry influenced fascist anti-hero turned up to eleven and set in the future. Robocop certainly captured elements of these themes to perfection.

I have major doubts about Urban in the lead too...nothing against the actor (I think he's quite good) but he just doesn't have the physical presence of Dredd, and his chin is way too small. That helmet looks a bit too big for him too, but we'll see.

I'm pleased with the way they've toned down the costume though (big shoulder pads should remain in the 80's) and keeping the helmet on is a essential - Dredd is the faceless icon of the law, and once you shatter that then the image is lost.

I'm not a fan of Boyle and Garland's stuff, but I really hope they nail this one.

Anyway...here's a long overdue fan film from the Dredd universe using CGI and live action which is as close to how Judge Dredd should look as possible in my opinion. I really hope they finnish this.

"He has all the time in the world ... "
How about making a movie of Dan Dare? Maybe soon ...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1698646/

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Dan_Dare

Lena Heady from the film as Madeline Madrigal(Ma-Ma), can't wait to see her in a villain role. Latest photo:

Older photo release:

Watch Game of Thrones, she's a pretty mean b***h in that one

Looks like they blew the Dredd budget down the pub

Apparently lucky US audiences might get to see the real Dredd trailer before screenings of Prometheus. Hopefully you'll report back because promos for this one are long overdue, considering it's slated for release on September 7th.

A system of cells interlinked
I don't like any of the frames I am seeing from the still gallery. Those are some spartan compositions... The filmmakers seem to have almost no money, which is bad for a flick like this...

Yup, $45,000,000 according to IMDB, which is chicken feed for a high concept movie by today's standards.

I've heard rumours however that the plot is very similar to Gareth Evans' The Raid, i.e largely confined to one location and therefore not overly ambitious in terms of budget. So we'll see.

Trailer is out some places, I keep trying to get it on youtube to put up on here but every trailer has been taken down by Lionsgate that I've come across. It looks a lot of fun and Lena Heady looks fabulous as the main villain.

Ah, one place I've found:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrn...ler_shortfilms

Or finally found one on youtube: