The Wolverine

Tools    

Semper Fooey
Fox is rolling the dice, trying to get a franchise out of one of Marvel's most popular characters and looking at what happened at WB with Batman. But Aronofsy is a much quirkier, edgier director than Nolan.

Aronofsky is far more creative than Nolan IMO..
He could make Wolverine work, but can't guarantee that it will do box office magic.

After Aronofsky claimed that Wolverine will definitely be his kind of movie makes me even more excited..
I always love it when Superhero films get their hint of surrealism/hyperealism rather than going all out realistic & straight...

Breaking Wolverine off on his own instead of "Let's cram as many characters as we can in a movie" is definitely a good idea. The character does work on his own. Just because he exists in the X-Men universe doesn't mean he needs to be surrounded by hundreds of other characters all the time.

Aronofsky made one of very few good movies about professional wrestling, so I think this will prove interesting at the very least.

I hope they don't try to include hints for a tie-up feature for other X-men films, I'd hate that.

The only cameo I would have actually loved in a Wolverine movie would be Captain America.. but I don't think that will ever happen.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Rut Roh

Darren Aronofsky no longer directing 'The Wolverine'

Black Swan director Darren Aronofsky will no longer be helming the Wolverine sequel for Twentieth Century Fox. In a statement issued by the studio, Aronofsky said, “It became clear that the production of The Wolverine would keep me out of the country for almost a year. I was not comfortable being away from my family for that length of time.” (The film was reportedly going to be set in Japan.) “I am sad that I won’t be able to see the project through,” continued Aronofsky, “as it is a terrific script and I was very much looking forward to working with my friend, Hugh Jackman, again.” Twentieth Century Fox echoed Aronofsky’s regret: “While we are of course disappointed that Darren can’t do The Wolverine, we also understand and respect his reasons … Hugh Jackman and Fox both remain fully committed to making The Wolverine. We will regroup and move forward aggressively.”
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/03/1...erine-leaving/

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I bet it has more to do with the studio wanting him to change things and him telling them to F-off.

Suspect's Reviews

Semper Fooey
Is anybody really surprised?

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Robert Rodriguez come on down.

At least he'll bring the beserker Rage to the fore finally.

Potential List Of Directors To Do "The Wolverine"
  • Matt Reeves
  • Francis Lawrence
  • Jaume Collet-Serra
  • J Blakeson
  • Jee-woon Kim
  • Takeshi Kitano
  • Takashi Miike
  • Joon-ho Bong
  • Chan-wook Park
  • Cary Fukunaga
  • David Michod
  • Jose Padilha
  • Doug Liman
  • Duncan Jones
  • Joe Wright
  • David Yates
  • Shaun Levy
  • Tony Scott
  • Robert Schwentke
  • Louis Leterrier
  • Justin Lin
  • Antoine Fuqua
  • The Hughes Brothers
  • Wolfgang Petersen
  • David Slade

The studio will probably bring (again) Brent Ratner as a late substitute.

Semper Fooey
“The one good thing, after losing Darren and what’s going on in Japan, is that we have a great script and the star attached and ready to go.”

That is a joke. The new director unless he is an unknown or a workmanlike hack will throw out most of the script and bring in another writer (that's what big directors do, they don't want to use a script another director was going to use).

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
From Killerfilm.com

Taylor Kitsch won’t be playing any card tricks in The Wolverine

Oct 7, 2011

This shouldn’t be of surprise to anyone, but Taylor Kitsch has revealed that he’s most likely not returning to star in The Wolverine for Fox. “That’s up to Hugh, if he wanted it. We’ll see. I don’t think I’m in it, I haven’t heard anything,” he said to MTV. Like I said, it shouldn’t be surprising as we’ve already heard The Wolverine would be more of a stand-alone project rather than a direct sequel to X-men Origins: Wolverine. Perhaps it’s just best to use Logan/Wolverine as an example and just forget everything that happened in the film.
However, Kitsch has already mentioned that he’d love to reprise his role as the Ragin’ Cajun, and there have been rumors of a spin-off film in the works. But he mentions that film would be way down the road, if at all. That’s not to say Gambit couldn’t return in a sequel to X-men: First Class or re-introduce the character in X-men 4, if either ever happens.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
The Wolverine facing more delays (UPDATED)

Nov 29, 2011

At this point, you’re probably wondering why Twentieth Century Fox doesn’t just cancel The Wolverine. The film has been facing numerous delays ever since Darren Aronofsky left the project. It was assumed the film would be filming next year, but a source has told Moviehole the film could be delayed yet again. The problem now is on the Japan front. The story will be taking Wolverine to Japan, but there have been issues securing the location to shoot there. It’s unknown what the problem is, but Fox is trying to work out the problem.
Update: Joblo spoke with another source who says the film is still on track to begin filming next Spring.

Movie Forums Insomniac

From Screenrant's Twitter page :

The Wolverine poster is legit. Although it's concept art probably won't be used in the marketing the film.