The Comic Book Tab

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
OK fearless readers... Post the latest comic book stories you have read!

I just finished:

Y: The Last Man - Unmanned

I love this series. Dark, dystopic, and I LOVE the inking...

Y: The Last Man - Cycles

The story develops more here, with knowledge of the last man's existence spreading across the world like wildfire...

Astonishing X-Men - Torn

This X-men title is a Joss Whedon book, and, although I usually love his stuff, I couldn't help thinking that the guy is letting his Buffy show a bit too much. Also, one section in the book is suspiciously like an episode of BSG (A show Joss raves about in interviews). His dialogue is fun and snarky, as one would expect, but, he just needs to let go of the whole "diminutive girl saves the day" thing he is so hung up on...

Little floppy, hoppy, bunnies!
Yay whose idea for this thread.......love it! I started reading Sandman last night and its just my speed.....dark! The story so far is pretty interesting. I must say I super love comics and never knew that the story inside of these where so deep and need I say anything about the crazy sick art work!!!!!

You're a Genius all the time
I've been burning through the short-lived second run of The Spectacular Spider-Man. This is my favorite presentation of Spidey ever and I really dug the way this Humberto Ramos dude drew him. It's a shame it didn't last all that long. Oh well.

Welcome to the human race...

Y: The Last Man - Unmanned
I just read this in the space of an hour earlier this afternoon. Excellent stuff, indeed.

Before that, I also read Batman: Year One yesterday morning. Also great, although a little on the short side. Got my hopes up for The Dark Knight Returns though.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
OK fearless readers... Post the latest comic book stories you have read!

[/i]Astonishing X-Men - Torn

This X-men title is a Joss Whedon book, and, although I usually love his stuff, I couldn't help thinking that the guy is letting his Buffy show a bit too much. Also, one section in the book is suspiciously like an episode of BSG (A show Joss raves about in interviews). His dialogue is fun and snarky, as one would expect, but, he just needs to let go of the whole "diminutive girl saves the day" thing he is so hung up on...
I think I liked this for the exact reasons you didn't. I like Buffy much better than I've liked anything done with the X-Men since the truly awesome Grant Morrison "New X-Men" series ended, so I liked Joss writing the X-Men quite a lot. He avoided the crushing angst that most x-men books do in spades, and I loved his version of Kitty Pryde. She instantly became one of my favourite characters.

I've been reading the series Fables, which gets a huge thumbs up from me.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Oh, I liked it, as I like Joss. Still, I find myself thinking he has become predicable, which is not so cool. I feel the same about New X-men though, and I am glad Joss grabbed the torch and has Emma back where she belongs. I am thinking of going back and re-reading that Morrison arc of New X-men...

Still, I thought he lifted a bit from BSG, and the artist framed the shot of all the Emmas almost exactly the same as the BSG episode when Sharon meets all the copies of herself on the Basestar. I was reminded of it instantly. I will continue to read it, though.

I like Buffy better than most other entertainment, for the most part... Now THAT is something I need to re-watch soon! I just FINALLY got season 7, to complete my collection!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I've been burning through the short-lived second run of The Spectacular Spider-Man. This is my favorite presentation of Spidey ever and I really dug the way this Humberto Ramos dude drew him. It's a shame it didn't last all that long. Oh well.

When Doc Ock forced Spidey to reveal his face in public, I knew exactly what was going to happen.

I really enjoyed this series as well and walked into my local comic book shop awhile ago (long time ago) and asked for my copy and they broke the news to me.

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...
All seminal stuff, that Miller Batman.

What did you think of the inking on Y:The Last Man? I loved it!
To be honest, I'm not enough of a comic nerd/geek/whatever to pay particular attention to the inking, especially when I was too wrapped up in the story. However, I do remember the artwork being particularly striking.

Also, I'm assuming the inking doesn't include the colouring.

Same thing, or: that's what I meant, anyway. I like the whole tone of the page, which seems a tad old school, but has super saturated pages.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Watchmen (graphic novel)
Keeping my thoughts "hush hush" till I'm done, all I will say is Rory (what I call rorascrah (sp?) because that name is hard to pronounce) is a complete and total badass!

Criminal #1
This is quite possibly the best comic being put out today. For my thoughts, click here.

Punisher: X-Mas/ Silent Night

What can I say, I'm a Christmas kind of guy. For X-Mas review: see HERE.

Two-Face Year One: #1

Underwelming, very much. See review: HERE.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Lennon
all I will say is Rory (what I call rorascrah (sp?) because that name is hard to pronounce) is a complete and total badass!
Rorschach (roar-shack) n. A complete and total badass.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I just read this again recently, it's a masterpiece.

Ah, decent comic.

The film? Well, I liked it until he took off his helmet and it became another Stallone film.