The Fry Box: Spud's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (2009)

I've come to a block in my thoughts about this. If you're feeling nostalgic about G.I. Joe, watch the cartoon. Otherwise, stay away from this.
Ok

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (2009)

Ah yes, summer blockbusters. They are a form of escapism from reality for 2-3 hours. Ok, some take the escapism more literally than others, case in point, G.I. Joe. Of course, if you like things like bad acting, unrealistic effects and a means for merchandising at every turn, this might just be your movie.

Stephen Sommers, previously of The Mummy 1 & 2 and Van Helsing, among others, seems to have found his kryptonite. I found those films, fun and didn't really seem to think that they took themselves seriously. While this movie could be looked at as being fun, it fails when it attempts to be taken seriously.

Now I'll admit, I'm not in the Army and I've never really had orders barked at me, but if Duke (Tatum) was my Seargent, I would have a hard time not laughing at his orders. At times, Tatum comes off as a whiny Mark Wahlberg, which will either make you laugh or...let's face it, it'll just make you laugh.

I've come to a block in my thoughts about this. If you're feeling nostalgic about G.I. Joe, watch the cartoon. Otherwise, stay away from this.

This could be a review for T2: ROTF, especially the last lines "If you're feeling nostalgic about G.I. Joe (Transformers), watch the cartoon. Otherwise, stay away from this"

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
This could be a review for T2: ROTF, especially the last lines "If you're feeling nostalgic about G.I. Joe (Transformers), watch the cartoon. Otherwise, stay away from this"
Very true. However, both Transformers films were constructed better than G.I. Joe.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Cloverfield (2008)

Figured I needed to watch this again after not having seen it for a year.

What was it about Cloverfield that had everyone trying to figure out what it was? I clearly remember seeing the teaser trailer, along with Transformers and then following the subsequent viral marketing attached to it. All we had was a date, and that's what we were all counting down to. After seeing Cloverfield in the theatre, laughing at those who claimed "motion sickness" while watching it, and then watching it when it first came out on DVD, my opinion has changed dramatically.

I think every person in the world has, in some way, heard of The Blair Witch Project. One of the first mainstream movies where the entire movie is shot by one of the characters, which doesn't make Cloverfield original in that aspect. Neither does the story, a giant monster (from God knows where) has started attacking New York. I wish Hollywood would take a different angle on giant monster films. Not only would that make it more believable, it would make it more original. I heard J. J. Abrams summing this up as America's Godzilla. Maybe so, but why not call it what it really is, a re-imagining of sorts.

There are things that make Cloverfield fun and original in their own rights, but they're not enough to make it a standout from the rest of films that have gone before it.

Zombieland (2009)

"It blows... my mind."

Zombieland is exactly what it sounds like, a movie about zombies. There is no intense back story to catch the audience up to where the movie starts off, we just get random flashbacks that come on only when they're called for.

In the same vein as Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland proves that movies about zombies shouldn't be so dark and un-funny. Let's face it, there's something funny about the walking dead. The cast is also well-rounded. Woody Harrelson probably being the stand out for his character, Tallahassee.

I really don't want to tell you too much as it's not a long movie, and well the premise is pretty obvious. It's the humor and how things happen that will surprise you and will probably have you spitting your soda across the theatre. Be prepared to laugh, and laugh often.

I can't wait to see this movie. Too bad my finances say I have to.
You'll get your money's worth, whenever you go. I was pleasantly surprised by it.

Yes SC, it's 4-star worthy.

Revenge is a meal best served cold.
Hands down agree. Without a doubt, 4 star worthy.

Revenge is a meal best served cold.
Mystic River (2003)

Yet another movie I've delayed in watching, simply because I didn't think I would like it. Yet again, I was wrong for waiting.

Clint Eastwood has had directed some fantastical pictures in the last few years. One of them being Mystic River. This is nothing more than a classic example of emotions driving you to do something that you feel is right, rather than looking for the answers. While a lot of movies offer some form of this formula, Mystic does well with taking everyone on the same journey, unsure of the outcome until the very end.

Most movies that have some form of Clue inherent, usually has the audience forming their opinion on who did it by the end of the first act. Then at the end, we're all thrown for a loop as the true killer is revealed and was nobody we were expecting. This film is no different and was equally surprising.

Think back to when Fast Times at Ridgemont High came out. Would you think that Spicoli was capable of such a performance? Truly outstanding performances from the entire cast.

If you're like me and have held off watching this, go pick this up now and watch it. You won't be disappointed.

I'm in the same boat you were in. Been sitting in my folder to watch for a while now. I'll have to make sure to put it on my priority list.

Zombieland is the best zombie movie I've seen. I know Shaun of the Dead seems to get more kudos and I liked it, but I personally think Zombieland tops it. Not to mention a great cameo by a certain star that I won't give away.
Short but very accurate review. Nice job

While it's been over a year since I've posted a review, I've seen quite a few films since then, but none are fresh enough in my head to offer a decent review of. Below, I offer a quick review of said films.

Visuals aside, James Cameron's first film since Titanic offered little else.

Kick-Ass (2010) -

I wasn't familiar with the source material going into this, but that shouldn't matter. I found it to be an OK movie, but nothing spectacular.

Clash of the Titans (2010) -

I wanted this to be so much more than it was. While it made improvements in some areas, the original is still a superior film, and that's saying something.

Date Night (2010) -

Not everyone will think that this was great movie, but I found it to be both fresh and funny. Of course, if you don't like it, I might have to whack you off.

Iron Man 2 (2010) -

What made Iron Man so much fun was the story. Iron Man 2 had too many things going on. I still liked it, but left the theatre disappointed.

Get Him to the Greek (2010) -

I laughed a couple of times. Other than that, this film was unnecessary and unfunny.

While these are just a few of the movies I have seen over the last year, the others I just not worth the time (and I can't remember them).

The Expendables (2010)

Clearly, the only reason to see this is because, as you were growing up, you secretly wanted all of these guys in one big action-packed movie.

Really, the only actors who had anything "going" for them back in the 80s/90s are only in a few scenes, while Stallone (obviously), takes center stage.

Not too much to review, really. It's your standard, full of cliches, action film. There was nothing they did that you couldn't see coming from a mile away, but then again, this film wasn't marketed as a smart-action flick, if there is such a thing. I found myself rolling my eyes at a few one-liners, mainly the ones from Dolph.

There's nothing memorable about it, nor worth owning it.

The Sorcerer's Apprentice (2010)

I'll sum it up in this sentence, but at least elaborate a little more below... It had a lot of potential, and I mean that with all seriousness, but it faltered on just about every level.

Where do I begin to even review this? Anyone who has seen Fantasia, should remember the story of the Sorcerer's Apprentice and him needing to fill the vat with water. He then finds the sorcerer's magical hat, and commands the broom to fetch the water. That was the basis of this.

I'll admit it (and probably lose some respect for it), but I enjoyed National Treasure. I was willing to give this a chance, and hope for the best. Sadly, the story never really got off the ground, and what we're left with is a predictable mess.

Some of the visuals were believable, but that seems to be where they put all their money.

All of that aside, if this is your type of thing, you might like it. It seemed to market itself to a less broader audience.

Mystic River was a very good and powerful movie. Clint Eastwood is a great director. The acting was great as well.