Lost (Possible Spoilers)

Tools    

While i wasn't as blown away by it as i expected, it was fairly satisfying. The weren't any amazingly revelatory moments and mostly things already heavily speculated. We've been frustratingly given more answers to 'what' and less to 'why'.

The Black Rock / Tawaret mysteries were tidied up but was expecting it to be more dramatic and less convenient, those suppose can't tie every mystery into the overall narrative. I was hoping it being inland was more to do with the Island sinking and re-appearing underneath it. The theory of the time-flashes being what got others to the Island still holds water though. Where's the statue's rubble though?

One bit that that was interesting is MiB saying how Jacob took his body and his humanity, is that the body Jacob is using now (why he could be stabbed and MiB couldn't?). Still supports them being a split of one consciousness, maybe even more so- Jacob took his body and MiB half was left as spirit (appearing as deceased). Now Jacob's dead his/their spirit isn't lost as it's locked in a (THE?) candidate. Excuse the puns. Explains why Jacob doesn't want him to leave. Is evil leaving the Island more Jacob's fear of his complete self not being on the Island to keep the Cork in place of the energy under the Island. What's a metaphor for what?

Also interesting that MiB can appear as those deceased OFF the Island. So supports Ben's sight of his dead mother was MiB

What does bug me is that Jacob has been bringing all these groups of people to the Island to help prove he's right against MiB. Why? Were they ALL candidates? Finding candidates seems like a different goal to proving MiB wrong. And what will that accomplish?

Was it me or were the two white rocks different? In Jacob giving MiB a white rock, kinda feels like it should have been MiB who gave Jacob the Black Rock (geddit?)

As far as i can surmise

-MiB's goal is to leave the Island but don't see him chilling in LA
-The good/evil dichotomy seems to be what it will settle on
-But evil exists in the outside world, what's the danger of MiB going there
-People on the Island are there as pawns for Jacob to prove the inherent goodness of man.
-MiB disagrees hence his come/corrupt/destroy ethos
-Jacob says it ends only once- will one Candidate taking his role be this end?
-MiB has killed Jacob and needs to kill all the potential replacements before he can leave. Sayid's already dead so i'm hoping that gives him some kicking-ass powers over MiB in the finale
-The loophole seems more and more tenuous

You can listen to a very interesting podcast with Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse here. They answer loads of fan's questions and tell us the title of the LOST Series Finale. It's a fitting title, but it's kind of lame. They could have been more inventive l0l.

A system of cells interlinked
Watched it last night - Heavy ****!

I think the main theme that smashed me in the face is that they are addressing the biggest anti-religion argument of all time - "If God is so powerful and all-knowing, why does he allow this, or why doesn't he step into this situation."

I think they answered it elegantly, if not a bit obviously to you people of faith.

This was one of the best episodes of the show, IMO. Nestor Carbonell KILLED it with his performance. The guy is just so great.

I remember someone addressing the issue that they were spending too much time on characters other than Losties this season, but that just seems silly to me. In order to get the answers (which none of the Losties have), they MUST elaborate on things we haven't been exposed to, through characters with more knowledge about the answers.

I am totally fine with that.

Yeah, they dove headfirst into the Free Will stuff. Heck, the last time I remember the issue being addressed so straightforwardly in such a mainstream piece of fiction was Bruce Almighty. Naturally, I found that scene quite gratifying.

Agree on everything you've said; Carbonell was awesome and it was a truly exceptional episode. I, like you, am finding myself caring more about character resolution than I would have thought possible in such a show. I always assumed I'd want an even mix, but between "Ab Aeterno" and "Dr. Linus", I'm tilting a little towards caring more about narrative satisfaction than plot resolution. Not that I want to have to choose.

If we get say, three more episodes in, and they are still wishy-washy on the plot resolution, I will start to worry, I think.

I do feel that the stuff they gave us last night (with the wine allegory) etc was quite satisfying and moved the plot along a fair amount.

Excellent piece.

So...think this episode gets an emmy nod? I have heard rumblings already about it....

Excellent piece.

So...think this episode gets an emmy nod? I have heard rumblings already about it....
I wouldn't be surprised if it does. Nestor Carbonell pulled off one of his best performances to date

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Just wanted to come back to this thread for a moment and say this was the best episode since The Constant

Suspect's Reviews

Lets put a smile on that block
Guys, this is how good the latest ep of LOST was, it brings me back to MOFO.

Hi, hi, how ya doing. Just wanted to read what you guys thoguht as i always enjoyed the heavy Lost related debates that raged on this thread, and once again i freakin' LOVE hearing what you guys think. Totally agree with it all, especially you Lindarelly...
Originally Posted by Austruck
I must say this about last night's episode: It was so thoroughly entrenched in good, important backstory with a character we've seen and wondered about for so long now that it did a LOT to heal my inner fears that the season 6 story was just a checklist. It was thorough; it was engaging; it was well-acted; and it made sense with storylines going back for several seasons now.

And it felt like we got some real answers. For the first time, I'm now curious about what and who Jacob and MiB really are, how they got to this island of weird properties (or does it have the properties because they are there?), and what/who is larger even than they are.

This episode couldn't have come at a better time for me in terms of some growing skepticism I had about the writing.
Utterly agree with this. And with you too Chris, Dr Linus was also a fantastic ep. I am truly hooked again and can't wait for the next ep. Amazing stuff.

And Jrs, AWESOME artwork!

Hey, blibby! First post in months, good to see you around. Glad you're digging some of these recent episodes as much as the rest of us. Keep popping in, we'll all have random thoughts and theories after every episode, I'm sure.

The Adventure Starts Here!
So, did we learn anything worth talking about in this Kwon-centric episode? I was totally underwhelmed, especially after the noteworth Alpert-centric episode last week.

I didn't even find their alternate future interesting. Meh.