A Blibby Odyssey

Tools    

Lets put a smile on that block
So, as i imagine you have all noticed, the reason this place has become a grey, dark world of sadness, is because i havn't been around much over the last month. My apologies for this. I know its all been VERY VERY hard for you. This is down to two very good reasons...

Reason number 1: I no longer have a job so i do not turn to the wonderful world of MOFO for procrastination purposes whilst stuck at a desk all day. I am free, running through grassy fields with flowers in my hair and soiled underpants round my legs (One of the downsides of unemployment is lack of money for new pants. or toilet paper for that matter)

And reason number 2: I am planning a round the world trip, which i embark on next month.

It is this second reason that i have created this thread. I'm planning on going away for about 7 months, and my internet time will be limited, so i thought i could create a little thread to put photo's, ask questions, post cries for help etc to keep anyone updated who gives a hot patooey. I depart on the 4th of FEBRUARY, and so far, everythings going to plan. Got most of my stuff ready, visas sorted, tickets bought, accommodation booked, sun lotion applied, toe nails cut etc.

So the plan is, i thought i could post my route online for any of you chaps, then, if the time and place is right, it could be good to meet some MOFO's on my travel of the globe? Also, if you guys have done the whole traveling thing before, mayhaps you could recommend some places to go, places to miss, food to eat, things to take etc then that would be mighty might helpful of you all and delish amounts of rep shall fall on your faces.

So first things first...

THE ROUTE

FEB 5th - BANGKOK, THAILAND
I'm spending two - three months in Asia over all, starting here in Bangkok, Thailand, and making my way up through LAOS, then into VIETNAM, and then down into CAMBODIA, then down through MALAYSIA, and ending up in SINGAPORE.

APRIL 5th - CAIRNS, AUSTRALIA
Im going to spending about a month and half or so, maybe longer in OZ, travelling down the East Coast, starting at CAIRNS for some scuba diving, then making our way down through FRASER ISLAND, BRISBANE and eventually ending up in SYDNEY. I know plenty of MOFOs are Ozzies so, if you have some hints and tips, let me know.

JUNE 5th - CHRISTCHURCH, NEW ZEALAND
I'll be heading into Christchurch on the South Island, where i'll spend two weeks, then i'll head up to the NORTH ISLAND where i'll spend another two weeks touring around, finally flying out of AUCKLAND.

JULY 6th - NADI, FIJI
I'll be lazing around FIJI for about two weeks. This, i should imagine will mostly consist of paradise. Im hoping it will be anyway.

JULY 20th - LA, USA
Hurrah! "I want to be in Amerrrricah!" So, i arrive in the states and, hopefully, money permitting, i should be staying for about a month. I'll be spending a couple of nights in LA, then i'll head to SAN FRANCISCO and spend about a week there. Then, i'll be heading north to SEATTLE for another week or so, then continuing north, i'll head into VANCOUVER, where i'm getting a train over to TORONTO, and then finally, after staying a few days, i'll wipe my tears away, and fly out of NEW YORK back home to good ol' Blighty.

SO, thats the route. Any idea how i'm going to survive? Because i havnt. This could, in all reality, spell the end of the BLIB. I live a very yummy life over here in the UK. I never really want for much. I have stuff around me to make me feel and look lovely, i have good food to eat, i have all my technology i could need to make my life as easy as possible. And i have nice sex and lots of fun, but also nice alone time too. And im giving all of this up for 7 months. It could end badly, or it could teach me some things. Im hoping for the latter. Anyone wanna help?

Oh, also, im currently making a playlist of MUST HAVE TRAVELING SONGS for my iPod. Anyone got any good ideas? What would your traveling playlist consist of?

Lucky you... this sounds like an awesome trip... As for traveling songs... I've gotten very moody/brooding(?) lately so would need a variety to keep me occupied...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally Posted by Blibby
(One of the downsides of unemployment is lack of money for new pants. or toilet paper for that matter)
Well, if you hadn't spent so much on traveling tickets, you'd be able to buy such things.

Have a safe, and fun trip. Don't forget the pictures, and an occasional stop at a coffee shop, or whatever place has internet service. Then you can say where you're at next.

As far as the music goes, I feel pretty sure our taste is severely different. I wouldn't want to make you sick during your travel time.

I'll never understand how people do these types of things, money and time wise.

Anyway, as for must have traveling music, I'd definitely take Bon Iver, Calexico (Carried to dust or Garden ruin), Radiohead's In rainbows is fantastic night time driving music, I'd listen to Animal Collective's latest (Merriweather post pavilion) on the airplane but be sure to bring an extra pair of pants as you may "wet" yourself...oh and The knife's Silent shout also for night time. m83, The flaming lips (Yoshimi battles the pink robots), Fleet foxes, My morning jacket, Panda bear, Ryan Adams ( Cold roses while you're in the states),The shins etc....

The People's Republic of Clogher
I'll never understand how people do these types of things, money and time wise.
Reason number one has the time part covered, anyway. Sorry to hear about that Blibbster but every cloud, and all that.

I suppose that after your dad did his trip round the 50 States of America something like this was on the cards, eh?

EDIT - I've got relatives in Cairns, by the way.

Bloobby sweetie I am so happy you are coming to Sydney I want to meet you and show you Sydney it is only a short drive from where i live do you want my Phone Number

blib i envy you boyo! have fun, and if I know you you will. you MUST figure out a way to post pics as we have got to see what you are up to!

AHTHANKS guys, nice messages all round!

Well i seem to have completed all my jobs that needed doing before i go. Got all the visas, money, tickets, medicine, amenities i need. So now its all bout making as much money as possible before i go. Ebay anyone? BLIBS life is currently up for auction if anyone wants to bid.
Oh and i gotta do a HELLA lot of research too. Cambodia, Vietnam, Singapore, Laos, Malaysia and Thailand are strange strange places. And i have NOTHING to bas my preconceptions on as i have never been anywhere like that before in my life. Spooky stuff. 13 more sleeps and i'll be finding out exactly what theyre all like!

Adi, good music suggestions, currently downloading aload them. I likey!

Taccy, OH GOOD OLD DAD, didnt he have fun traveling around the States? Sadly they wouldnt let me put his Black Cab on my plan to Thailand. Harsh.

Nebbles, i would LOVE to come and say hello to you! Can you send me a PM with all your details? and i'll send you mine PW sent me a lovely PM so i think im gonna say hello to him whilst im in Seattle

Mack, dont worry, i'll be posting lots and lots of pics! I'll post the link to my blog when i have it up and running!

Blibs, I'm so glad you decided to do this amazing thing! You're going to have a brilliant time, just look after yourself, don't do anything (too) stupid and just enjoy all your experiences good and bad cos they'll all make you a better person. Take loads of photos!

xxxxx

You want to post like me?
Man I don't know youuu but I care about youuu (Pablo Fransisco).

Have a fun trip. One thing though - in the light of your already determined places to go - DON'T come to Denmark! Man would it suck compared to the other places...

Hey Blib! I wish you all the best on your trip.

When I'm done at Uni me and a few friends are hoping to go on a trip of our own. We even want to follow a similar route, by starting in Asia and ended up in America. Looking forward to hearing about it, mate. When you come back I'll be asking you for advice!

The People's Republic of Clogher
Sadly they wouldnt let me put his Black Cab on my plan to Thailand. Harsh.
Perhaps they thought it would embark on an ill-advised marriage to a Toyota Hiace van who wanted to make a new life in the UK.

Put me in your pocket...
Blibby! Your trip sounds very exciting! Have a great time and may you stay safe on your journey. I'll certainly make a point to take peeks at your thread to see all of the lovely photos you'll post. Are you bringing a laptop to stay intouch?

Enjoy your Kodak moments!

I got your message Blib and I look forward to hearing from you. I wonder if when you reach the states if your phone will still have an international code? I guess we'll figure it out as you get closer. Anyway, you're leaving pretty soon yeah? Have fun.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Your trip looks awesome Blib, rock it out. My one single travelling piece of advice is this: don't buy the headphones on the plane. You won't need to watch Kung Fu Panda that badly that you'll have to pay 10 squid for them. Bring a couple of books that you've been meaning to read and get through them.

As for those must have travelling songs:
America - Razorlight
All the way to Reno - REM
Way to Amarillo - Tony Christie
Drinking in LA - Bran Van 3000
Turning japanese - The Vapors
Mountains - Biffy Clyro
A Case of You - Joni Mitchell
still havent found what im looking for u2
where the streets have no name - u2
Oh My God - Kaiser Chiefs
Holiday - Greenday
Road Trippin - Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Drops of jupiter - train
In the middle of the night - billy joel
California Dreamin - mamas and papas

for the journey home
Homeward Bound - Simon and Garfunkel
London calling - the clash

you may have noticed i mostly went for travel themed songs, but they're all good

Well, the time has come for me to leave. I catch my flight at 9.45 tonight. Feels very strange, leaving everyone, everything for 6 months. I'm actually freaking out a little bit but am also trying to hold it together.

Anyway, many thanks for all the well wishes fellow MOFOs, i'll be coming on every now and again to say hello. And when i get near some of you guys in OZ and the US, i'll make sure i get in touch to say hi!

In the mean time, here's the links to follow all my travel guffins if anyone wants to. (I'm NOT SPAMMING, HONEST!) This way, it will be just like i never left! (OHGOD)

This will be the main place for photo's and vids!:
http://blibblobblib.blogspot.com/

Follow me on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/Blibblobblib

Check out latest photo's:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blibblobblib/

Check out the latest videos:
/videos

Take care fellow Mofoians, be good, be kind and i shall see you in the world!

Au Revoir!