The Batman (2022)

→ in
Tools    

Just finished watching it, and though very very long at 3 hours I thoroughly enjoyed it. Paul Danos performance as The Riddler imo was as impressive as Ledgers Joker, but didn't have the screen time necessary to equal the impact. Pattinson did a great job as The Batman, the only criticism being he's not muscular, but is at least as good Christian Bale. Anyway, the movie is better than this review so go see it.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I thought it was kind of good kind of not. One of the problems for me with this movie is that it feels like a sequel to a movie that never happened. Batman is already Batman and it didn't feel like as much of an origin story. I feel like this would have worked better if it were the second one in this series.

But other than that, I was really on board with the detective story, until the last third about, where I felt the movie went off the rails in the plot.

WARNING: "SPOILER" spoilers below
They don't do a good job at explaining The Riddler's backstory, and it felt his motivations were kind of flimsy. They don't really explain why co-conspirators have agreed to join him on his quest either so much. Plus they do not explain how The Riddler is so smart at everything and always one step ahead, yet he managed to get caught so easily.

Another thing, is it feels like it may have been unnecessary to have both Falcone and The Penguin as villains, and wouldn't it have made more sense to just combine them into one character and have one crime bross?

So I feel the detective story up until the last third is actually pretty good, but the last act, and the lack of origin story is was brought it down somewhat for me. So it's kind of good kind of not, for me.

I thought it was good. I liked Robert Pattinson's take on the character and that the film tried to do something a little different. It had some effective moments and is well directed, but I do think it was too long. I would rank it as the 4th best film of the year so far and rate it an 8/10.

Best Batman film and favorite of the year thus far.

Well, certainly the best Batman film of 2022... ...thus far.

Out of all the batman films I've seen which were released this year, The Batman easily takes the cake as being the greatest of them all.

Well, certainly the best Batman film of 2022... ...thus far.
And any other year. I MIGHT add the caveat of "live action."

Saw it in theaters, just watched it again on HBO today...it’s the greatest film ever made.

While reading this thread and most of the reviews, I often wonder if I've seen the right film...

Yeah, I think it's the correct one

Seriously though, I don't get how this overlong "Se7en for children" is getting so much praise.

Hm.

It had great acting. It had a great story. The action was so-so but was slightly more realistic. I appreciate they took a chance on reinventing the superhero movie formula.

Consider this, let's compare Batman to James Bond. There are many variations of both characters. The 2022 Batman is more like a Sean Connery Bond compared the the overglitzy Burton Batman (Roger Moore Bond) or the mega special effects Nolan Batman (Daniel Craig Bond). I like the "Se7en for children" reference because this was more of a detective movie compared to any other Batman movie made, and he is supposed to be The World's Greatest Detective. DC stands for Detective Comics after all.

In all actuality this is the most pure representation of Batman ever.

The car chase, which finds a midpoint between Tony Scott style impressionism and the surrounding film's gothic aesthetic, is easily the highlight.

The rest of the movie...eh. It's certainly well made, but this is a case like Joker where the movie is so studied in appropriating a better director's style that it doesn't really breathe. The brutal runtime doesn't help either. I remember the Nolan movies were knocked in some quarters for their "grimdark" tone, but I missed their relative giddiness and lightness of touch. Some fun peformances, though.

While reading this thread and most of the reviews, I often wonder if I've seen the right film...

Yeah, I think it's the correct one

Seriously though, I don't get how this overlong "Se7en for children" is getting so much praise.
Both of those Batman films are essentially perfect renditions of their respective interpretations of the comics.

Victim of The Night
I thought the fourth act was kind of exhausting and humdrum, though I did enjoy the denouement. Really the film just did not resolve in a way that was particularly satisfying to me.
Also, worst cameo (of a character) I've seen in a long time. So shoe-horned in, distracting from what had been a solid narrative, and totally unnecessary. Not to mention simply not good in its own right.

I thought the fourth act was kind of exhausting and humdrum, though I did enjoy the denouement. Really the film just did not resolve in a way that was particularly satisfying to me.
Also, worst cameo (of a character) I've seen in a long time. So shoe-horned in, distracting from what had been a solid narrative, and totally unnecessary. Not to mention simply not good in its own right.
It would've worked better if they'd kept the previous scene (now on YouTube) that would've introduced that character.*

As is, it feels like a peculiar after credits scene pushed into the actual movie.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Incredible. The opening 20 minutes we’re incredible. Gotham looked amazing, the score was brilliant, and the look and feel to the movie was perfect. This could be my favourite Batman movie ever made.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

I mean there are "great movies" and then there is The Batman.

Incredible. The opening 20 minutes we’re incredible. Gotham looked amazing, the score was brilliant, and the look and feel to the movie was perfect. This could be my favourite Batman movie ever made.

It seems like you and I are the only ones who really liked this movie.

I think I gave it an 8/10, but upon reflection, I think a 7/10 would be more appropriate. The final act didn't do much for me, but the rest of the film is solid.