A Dying Piece Of Music (Allegedly) For February

Tools    

Immediately started looking for a copy of it online and it's like 700 bucks for a copy on vinyl. Looks like I'm going to have to get back to some proper crate digging once the world restarts and I get ten cents to my name.
damn, i've definitely turned down that album for $40 before.

damn, i've definitely turned down that album for $40 before.

These mistakes happen. I recently realized I sold the first ever recorded song of Metallica for virtually nothing, and it's worth like a thousand bucks.

A system of cells interlinked
  1. Electric Youth - Get Along
  2. Band-Maid - Onset
  3. Meg Myers - Curbstomp
  4. The Roches - The Hammond Song
  5. The Libertines - The Good Old Days
  6. Shania Twain - Thank You Baby!
  7. OutKast - SpottieOttieDopaliscious
  8. Veil Of Light - So Hard
  9. Linda Perhacs - If You Were My Man (Demo)
  10. D.I. - Richard Hung Himself

Another strong round. The Roches isn't something I would normally dig, but it triggered some weird, deterministic reflex, as I am pretty sure My mother had that record back in the 70s during her folky Joan Baez phase. I hadn't heard that song since then, so I had to bump it up a few notches in my ranking.

My nomination fell to third behind the fun and bouncy, if a little twee Electric Youth, and the totally excellent instrumental by Band Maid.

Another strong round. The Roches isn't something I would normally dig

Even as the world's biggest fan of their first album, I accept they are a hard sell. There is a quality to their voices that immediately shut people out, I think. The only reason I even submitted it was because my girlfriend wanted me to, regardless of the fact that I explained to her that everyone I've ever known, no matter what kind of music they are into, basically hates them. Everyone but her. And yet she can't believe this since she loves it so much. So after a couple of days I eventually relented, just to show her metric proof of how special she (we) are in appreciating it (but so far it appears only Chypmunk got my imaginary memo by ranking it last, which I eagerly showed her upon waking)

And not that anyone is asking, but as for the reason why I like them so much, and in particular this song, I think it's because (barring Bob Dylan) I can't think of another example of a song whose lyrics so beautifully operate on the surface as a seeming narrative, and yet retains a cryptic impenetrability where you can never quite crack the code of what they are talking about. Like a conversation you are only hearing fragments of, but that you can tell is deeply personal and is tearing those involved apart. It's one of the only songs I think I can start crying over just by thinking about it. With the exclusion of the Stones' "Wild Horses", it very well might be my favorite song of all time.

But obviously, it's not just the lyrics. There is the harmonies and the arrangement and (the one element I always feel might appeal to those who don't like this kind of music) a Robert Fripp guitar solo (who I will take over both Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix any day of the week). But so far, in my real life, this has yet to impress anyone either.

*end Roches rant...until another day*

Sorry, there's something about the vocals on that The Roches track that I find somewhat unpleasant to listen to. As most here are voting it reasonably highly though it's clearly just me (and almost everybody else outside of this tournament apparently ).

Sorry, there's something about the vocals on that The Roches track that I find somewhat unpleasant to listen to. .

No need to apologize. It's the name of the game, and as said, I was actually expecting a much worse turn out. And I get it. I think I described them having 'drama nerd' voices before. Normally I would have dismissed them off hand immediately from that alone if they hadn't been recommended to me by someone who'd just been run over by a street sweeper. For some reason, that gave them street cred in my twenty five year old brain (or rather street-sweeper cred...insert gif of eye-rolling monkey doing a rim shot)

i'd have scored the Roches track a lot higher probably if it didn't feel like a more accessible version of stuff i really love like The Shaggs or eX-Girl.

What is the eX-Girl you speak of? If it gets bundled into a conversation with The Shaggs, I'm all ears.

What is the eX-Girl you speak of? If it gets bundled into a conversation with The Shaggs, I'm all ears.
i'd say they're only similar to The Shaggs in some surface level ways but they're sick.

A system of cells interlinked
But obviously, it's not just the lyrics. There is the harmonies and the arrangement and (the one element I always feel might appeal to those who don't like this kind of music) a Robert Fripp guitar solo (who I will take over both Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix any day of the week). But so far, in my real life, this has yet to impress anyone either.

*end Roches rant...until another day*
The harmonies are fantastic, as is the guitar solo. I was immediately put off by the timbre or their voices, but once I managed to surmount that particular listening barrier, I was able to enjoy the song a lot more. The lyrics were excellent, as well.

Even as the world's biggest fan of their first album, I accept they are a hard sell.
Funny, I haven't heard them since I was a teenager probably, but when I saw your nomination I immediately had an involuntary "ugh" reaction.
I don't even remember why I found them annoying. I'll have to give it a listen and see if my thoughts have changed.

1. Electric Youth - Get Along
2. The Roches - The Hammond Song
3. Shania Twain - Thank You Baby!
4. Linda Perhacs - If You Were My Man (Demo)
5. Meg Myers - Curbstomp
6. Band-Maid - Onset
7. OutKast - SpottieOttieDopaliscious
8. D.I. - Richard Hung Himself
9. Veil Of Light - So Hard
10. The Libertines - The Good Old Days

Well, I really like that Roches song. Not as much as my own, though.

Joining the Roches convo, I liked it a lot, and also Fripp is God.

Round 13

1. D.I. - Richard Hung Himself
2. Band-Maid - Onset
3. Veil of Light - So Hard
4. OutKast - SpottieOttieDopaliscious
5. The Libertines - The Good Old Days
7. Linda Perhacs - If You Were My Man (Demo)
8. Meg Myers - Curbstomp
9. The Roches - Hammond Song
10. Electric Youth - Get Along

Let the night air cool you off
1. OutKast - SpottieOttieDopaliscious
2. Veil Of Light - So Hard
3. D.I. - Richard Hung Himself
4. Linda Perhacs - If You Were My Man (Demo)
5. band-maid - onset
6. The Roches - The Hammond Song
7. The Libertines - The Good Old Days
8. Meg Myers - Curbstomp
9. Electric Youth - Get Along
10. Shania Twain - Thank You Baby!

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
  1. band-maid - onset
  2. Veil Of Light - So Hard
  3. D.I. - Richard Hung Himself
  4. The Libertines - The Good Old Days
  5. OutKast - SpottieOttieDopaliscious
  7. Linda Perhacs - If You Were My Man (Demo)
  8. Electric Youth - Get Along
  9. The Roches - The Hammond Song
  10. Meg Myers - Curbstomp

All voted so here's the outcome........

1st - band-maid - onset (71 pts)

2nd - Veil Of Light - So Hard (65 pts)
3rd - Linda Perhacs - If You Were My Man (Demo) (57 pts)
4th - OutKast - SpottieOttieDopaliscious (56 pts)
5th - The Roches - The Hammond Song (54 pts)
5th - D.I. - Richard Hung Himself (54 pts)
7th - The Libertines - The Good Old Days (53 pts)
8th - Electric Youth - Get Along (51 pts)
9th - Meg Myers - Curbstomp (45 pts)
10th - Shania Twain - Thank You Baby! (44 pts)

Congrats to resopamenic on doubling up in the Final