Panic Room

→ in
Tools    

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by joe pokono
when I compare this to other similar flicks like Fargo and, particularly, Shallow Grave the acting and the suspense simply fall short.
Shallow Grave. I liked that one...what makes you compare this movie, to those? They are not even remotely the same.

I dunno, I guess the comparison is obvious to me. In Fargo, you've got an amatuer group of 3 criminals trying to get one of the criminal's family money. In other words, the driving force behind the plot is the same: a simple plan to get a lot of money that turns bad; and, the cast of criminals is an almost identical group: one family guy, a hired but harmless con, and a mysterious but lethal third con.

In Shallow Grave, its a lot of things too, but briefly almost the entire movie takes place in one large apartment, and the suspence and gore revolves around a large sum of money that is sought after by, again, 3 people.

Or maybe these movies are not similar at all and I just said that to get people's attention....

Jesus, joe pokono is my new favorite member.

Jesus, joe pokono is my new favorite member.
THANKS STEVE, HEHE

I agree that the commercialization was obvious, but I still liked the movie.

My only gripe is the ending. There was a climax, but no resolution.

Now With Moveable Parts

Or maybe these movies are not similar at all and I just said that to get people's attention....
Uh-huh.

I think Shallow Grave and Fargo are obviously better films, with better plot development and more in depth charactor studies...so in comparison to those films, yeah...Panic Room falls short. As for just checking your brain at the door and and being entertained, I was satisfied.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Originally posted by aspen
My only gripe is the ending. There was a climax, but no resolution.
The ending was alright, it's just it cuts off right after the calvary arrives, no word on what happens, simply like it was a bad dream that she awoke from.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Now With Moveable Parts
I agree with aspen, though.

There was this "building up to something" music...and this mounting tension, as if something unexpected was going to happen...we see the faces of all the players...and I kept thinking that any minute, some plot twist was going to play out...but then it ended. I was a little disappointed.

Alright, Panic Room wasn't the greatest movie of all time, but considernig the crap that has come out recently, I welcomed a fresh and entertaining movie that entertained me. I thought it was marvelous how Fincher approached the directing in this film. To take an otherwise simple script, that takes place in pretty much 2 rooms, and have it grab people was an amazing feat. I applaud him and I think everyone did an excellent job in acting. I was a bit disappointed at the end though.

Now With Moveable Parts
I agree. I loved all the neat ways the camera led us on a little journey...through walls and wires. Very cool. You're right Pati, there has been a lot of crap lately...and it was nice to not feel like I wasted my time and money. I was entertained.

Okay, I give up. Panic Room was a two hour flick where if you like fancy cameras and you don't like to use your brain you will be entertained. Incidentally, wrestling is cheaper and on every week. OOhhh, can you smell what the rock is cookin?

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I absolutely loved Panic Room. It was just intense, funny, and scary as all hell. Dwight Yoakum kills me in this movie. He's so stupid and violent. I was laughing and joking about this movie the whole way home, and I really want to see it again soon. This is also the movie that made me like Jodie Foster again. She's a great actress and she looks really great in this movie. I also liked the little girl that played her daughter. She wasn't a typical hollywood kid actor. She looked like a real kid you would see on the street. This is a must buy on DVD for me.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

The previous post was a paid advertisement.
By the way, buy SONY!

I'm not old, you're just 12.
The previous post was a paid advertisement.
By the way, buy SONY!
Dude, that is not cool. I don't work for Sony. (I WISH I did, I'd be making way more money than my meager Administrative Assistant's salary!) Just because I don't agree with your opinion doesn't mean youy can accuse me of being a plant. Go be a forum facist elsewhere. I am allowed my own opinion, Nazi!

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Come on Monkey, calm down, Joe did go a little too far, but don't start a fight with em, it's not worth it in the long run. And we need you around here

Okay, I will take the time to respond only because I don't want to get kicked out of here. Number one, if no one around here has a sense of humour then I'll leave on my own. Pointing out that someone's post sounds like a sound bite is hardly a reason to get upset. A simple, haha, yeah I know it sounds corny but I did really like the movie would have done just fine. On the other hand, I respect anyone who is willing to defend their opinions and the last thing we all need is more censorship, so if you're pissed, so be it. Whatever. Point is, I enjoy being funny, sarcastic, and at times a bit of an *******. If you're gonna call me on it, fine, but make sure you're not making a tempest from a tea pot, or however the saying goes. In any case, sorry, if you like the movie that much, ok. But seriously man, we all need to be like little fonzies, and what's fonzy like--cool.

I loved Panic Room.
Mind you, it was my first Fincher film (shutup, shutup, I'll see the others...) and I quite enjoyed it.

I don't feel like saying anymore than I urge people to see this film, quite simply to be entertained. That's all it was, enjoyable and fun to watch.

My review of PANIC ROOM:

In PANIC ROOM, Oscar winner Jodie Foster manages to channel her undeniably strong on screen charisma into what is basically a damsel in distress drama. Foster plays a divorced mom of a teenager, who has just moved into a new house, who becomes terrorized by a trio of thieves looking for some booty left by the previous owner of the house in the panic room, a large steel-enclosed room that once it is entered and the door is closed, it is completely impenetrable, which becomes a problem when Foster and her daughter choose to hide from the intruders in said panic room. Also factoring in the drama is the fact that the daughter is diabetic and requires periodic shots of insulin. The film has a real claustrophobic feel to it since the action pretty much stays inside the house and a good deal of the action plays out in that one room, but the cat and mouse game between Foster and the thieves works, primarily due to Foster, who brings so much more to the role than written and Forrest Whitaker, solid as always, as one of the thieves who does appear to have some semblance of a conscience. It's not terribly original, but it is watchable, thanks to the performances of Foster and Whitaker.