Only Controversial Topics!!!

Tools    

This is the thread for controversial topics.

First topic: should people keep posting non-movie-related topics on a web site dedicated to discussing movies? And if so, when is enough enough? Then again, who's got the right to dictate what other people can talk about. But then why keep disrupting a site that is clearly named as a place where people can come and feel safe discussing and focusing only on movies? But if that was the case, why would the site have a designated category for "miscellaneous" topics.

Okay, I think I won that first argument. Let's move on!
(Unless of course you disagree - which is exactly what this thread is for!)

This is the thread for controversial topics.

First topic: should people keep posting non-movie-related topics on a web site dedicated to discussing movies? And if so, when is enough enough? Then again, who's got the right to dictate what other people can talk about. But then why keep disrupting a site that is clearly named as a place where people can come and feel safe discussing and focusing only on movies? But if that was the case, why would the site have a designated category for "miscellaneous" topics.

Okay, I think I won that first argument. Let's move on!
(Unless of course you disagree - which is exactly what this thread is for!)
Oy, there is more to life than movies. Movies should bring us together but not distance us from knowing each other better.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I do feel like the political threads have been rather heavy in the last few months. I can totally see why though, given it's been a sh!tstorm on both sides of the Atlantic.

Then again, I could probably try harder to just avoid going in them

I do feel like the political threads have been rather heavy in the last few months. I can totally see why though, given it's been a sh!tstorm on both sides of the Atlantic.

Then again, I could probably try harder to just avoid going in them
Yes. Kind of understandable / expected given the situation.
But perhaps maybe people could try to consolidate comments to a few threads instead of starting new ones on the same topics (that goes for a lot of topics here)!

Edit P.S. I do realize I am equally guilty of doing the very thing I'm commenting on here.

That's a great one! But what I really want to know is: who doesn't like Hitler?

Guap? Maybe you can explain why you said you admire Hitler? It probably has something to do with the autobahn.

Guap? Maybe you can explain why you said you admire Hitler? It probably has something to do with the autobahn.
Hitler was bad and he probably goes down as "most evil" primarily due to his motivations which he was quite proud of and tactics which he tried to hide from the rest of the world.

But if it's a numbers game... Stalin killed over 20 million people (mostly his own), while Mao Zedong murdered a whopping 49 to 78 million of his own people mostly through his reforms.

Which black director should make an epic about Ethiopian slavery which ended long after the US ended it?

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Should the whole LBGT obsession in the media lately just **** off.

More controversial topic suggestions:

1. What makes you think you have the right to kill an unborn child?

2. Why are people who are simply seeking a better chance at survival and a better life for their children in another country and using the most expedient route to get there and are willing to work hard once they get there considered "illegal," "trespassers," and "criminals"?

3. How is your right to smoke not infringing on my right to breath air not laden with carcinogens & over 5000 toxic chemicals produced by cigarette smoke?

4. How dare you call me "oriental" even when you are distinguishing me from Indians, Pakistanis, Middle-Easterners, Arabs, Persians, Turks, Israeli Jews, Polynesians, and Eastern Russians, all of whom are equally "Asian"!

5. You call me a "triggered SJW" while you voted for a fascist, sexist, Islamophobic, homophobic White Supremacist!

6. Where's the medical data showing that people are born gay?

7. Considering all the social discrimination, alienation, familial shunning, mocking and physical threats homosexuals have to put up with from a culture that fears and despises them, why would anyone choose to be gay? It is quite obvious it is not a choice, therefore it must be a genetic predisposition.

8. Do Black Lives Matter? Or do All Lives Matter? (And if all lives do matter, does that include those of police? And if it includes police, does it include those cops who murder unarmed black men because they don't believe that black lives matter?)

9. Yes, I still hold doors open for women... what are you gonna do about it, tough girl?

10. Star Wars or Star Trek?

I already explained. Just because a person was evil it doesn't meant you cannot admit they had any qualities.

There is also a lot of hypocricy in villifying Hitler while people who killed millions are adored. At the same time Hitler was killing Jews in concentration camps Churchill was confiscating food from India leading to a famine that killed the same number of people as the Holocaust. And many presidents of the US are responsible for killing hundreds of thousands of civilians.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
True Lies is not a racist movie.

At the same time Hitler was killing Jews in concentration camps Churchill was confiscating food from India leading to a famine that killed the same number of people as the Holocaust.
Thats because England was being invaded by Germany! They were at war! You paint it like he was taking pictures of them starving while eating a ham sandwich.

A bunch of foreign movie stars fighting against the American Empire in anaction movie franchise.

Thats because England was being invaded by Germany! They were at war! You paint it like he was taking pictures of them starving while eating a ham sandwich.
Nah, he's right. Churchill's actions/attitudes towards India were disgusting and not worth defending; they certainly weren't some wartime necessity: more like calculated hostility. Churchill did alot of good but he doesn't deserve to be as protected and canonized as he is in my opinion.

And also i know it was England specifically that was invaded but can you please say Britain (or the British Empire even) in the future because the way you and most others understandably talk about it ignores the contribution of the many countries involved that aren't England. Not saying you said anything wrong it's just a pet peeve of mine