Delila's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Great review Sammy, I thought this movie was very thought provoking, must watch it again soon.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Strummer521
What's your idea?
We're going to elope to Costa Rica and become cocaine barons.
Come visit, when we get settled, ok?

Great review btw Sam. I hadn't heard of that film before.
It's not a well-known one. I think you'd like it, though. Very charming.

District B13
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Part of the realism comes from the fact that many of the stories either happened to one or the other of the writers, or came from people they knew. Another other part comes from a cast that is positively perfect. I won't mention names, because everyone deserves a mention for deeply committed and beautifully timed performances.
It is interesting that many of these stories are based on true stories. The film is still incredibly hyperbolic, however, and the plausibility that these plots could interweave with such drama is laughable.

I found the acting performances to be quite average, adequate mind you, but nothing special. The extreme drama of the story is what kept it going, the actors were just there to suffice in their roles.

Much of the dialogue is hilarious, and then you ask yourself if it's ok to laugh... which is part of the point. While both writers insist they didn't start out writing a script about race issues, this is unquestionably a film that will make you think along those lines.
I believe the main point of this script was race relations, and it missed the boat by 30 years. I believe it showed duality and complexity in characters where everything was based on the race of people.

As for hillarious dialogue, I only laughed at one part, the rest didn't seem to be funny but rather high tension.

Oh yea, and Bullock blew this one.

Originally Posted by ObiWanShinobi
It is interesting that many of these stories are based on true stories. The film is still incredibly hyperbolic, however, and the plausibility that these plots could interweave with such drama is laughable.

I found the acting performances to be quite average, adequate mind you, but nothing special. The extreme drama of the story is what kept it going, the actors were just there to suffice in their roles.

I believe the main point of this script was race relations, and it missed the boat by 30 years. I believe it showed duality and complexity in characters where everything was based on the race of people.

As for hillarious dialogue, I only laughed at one part, the rest didn't seem to be funny but rather high tension.

Oh yea, and Bullock blew this one.
If I respond to this, you'll only claim I'm being mean to you or condescending or insulting you.
And if I don't, you'll crow that I wouldn't stand up to you because I can't handle people whose opinions differ - despite all the evidence to the contrary.
So I'll simply say: tom yum kai soup rocks. I think I'll have some for lunch tomorrow.

I am having a nervous breakdance
I don't know anything about Gallo as a person - sounds like that might be for the best?
He's pretty known for his inability to get along with other people and his outspoken right wing views. At the same time, if you read some things he's said, he's kind of funny.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

The People's Republic of Clogher
We're going to elope to Costa Rica and become cocaine barons.
Come visit, when we get settled, ok?
Argh, you've let the cat out of the bag now! D'ye know how hard it is getting a visa when your job title is 'Cocaine Baron'? We might have to settle for a little cottage in County Kerry selling plastic shamrocks to huge, plaid & nylon wearing tourists called Earl.

Bonnie & Carlos indeed.....

Originally Posted by Tacitus
Argh, you've let the cat out of the bag now! D'ye know how hard it is getting a visa when your job title is 'Cocaine Baron'? We might have to settle for a little cottage in County Kerry selling plastic shamrocks to huge, plaid & nylon wearing tourists called Earl.

Bonnie & Carlos indeed.....
hmm, hadn't thought of that. So when they ask at Customs why I'm coming into the country, I should say "NOT TO SELL COCAINE, THAT'S FOR SURE!!!" ?

hmm, hadn't thought of that. So when they ask at Customs why I'm coming into the country, I should say "NOT TO SELL COCAINE, THAT'S FOR SURE!!!" ?
Maybe we could change it to 'Coco Pops Barons'. The packaging could come in handy for our little export business...

Originally Posted by Tacitus
We might have to settle for a little cottage in County Kerry selling plastic shamrocks to huge, plaid & nylon wearing tourists called Earl.
Hey, I had a Kerry Blue Terrier doggie, Her pregnant mother was imported from County Kerry, I have always wanted to go there, can i come?

Originally Posted by nebbit
Hey, I had a Kerry Blue Terrier doggie, Her pregnant mother was imported from County Kerry, I have always wanted to go there, can i come?
Fine by me!
Just make absolutley sure the customs people know you have NOTHING to do with drug trafficking.

District B13
If I respond to this, you'll only claim I'm being mean to you or condescending or insulting you.
And if I don't, you'll crow that I wouldn't stand up to you because I can't handle people whose opinions differ - despite all the evidence to the contrary.
Forgive me for trying to initiate conversation with the almighty.

Let's see if you can step off of your stool for one moment and act like a human being instead of a patronizing clique-fiend.

Forgive me for trying to initiate conversation with the almighty.

Let's see if you can step off of your stool for one moment and act like a human being instead of a patronizing clique-fiend.
Originally Posted by SamalmightyDelilah
God, I'm good.

Let's see if you can drop the tiresome persona first, then more folks might respond the way you wish.

Here we go again, eh?

Just deleted a handful of posts. I didn't know where to cut them off, because there's no one post that definitively crossed the line, but needless to say things escalated, things were said, and people were warned.

There are many root causes to these scuffles, but the biggest, beyond whatever perceived injustice sparked it all, is that once the grudges are present, no one gives anyone the benefit of the doubt anymore. I don't think we're going to have any kind of sustained peace and civility until someone steps up and is willing to assume the best, rather than the worst, about the other person's words and intentions.

Anyway, that's my soapbox moment for the day. I hope things improve. All the people involved have said insightful things, and I'd really hate for the conflicts to continually overshadow the insight.

If it would help I will take the blame for everything, unless it involved jumper cables, a zesty night in a motel room, and Holden. I have to draw the line somewhere.

A fascinating and inspiring documentary,
gb
Genghis Blues is the story of blues musician Paul Pena and his musical pilgrimage to the Republic of Tuva, in 1995. Pena is a career musician (writer of the Steve Miller song "Big Old Jet Airliner") who has worked with the greats of Blues, from Muddy Waters and B.B. King to Bonnie Raitt. Listening to a short-wave radio, Pena encountered Tuvan throatsinging and was instantly obsessed. He taught himself the technique, which involves one voice simultaneously making two harmonic tones. He also translated Tuvan songs and written word into Russian, then into English (no Tuvan-English dictionaries existed) and all in Braille, so he could learn the language.

The film is a documentary on Pena's trip to Tuva, to participate in a contest of Tuvan throatsinging. I'll leave you in the dark as to whether he wins or loses. The thing that you'll come away from this film with is a major win: the beauty of two entirely strange cultures, joined by music. Pena's appreciation for the people he encounters is inspiring as well, and the reception he recieves is truly gratifying to watch. But the thing that struck me was that the Tuvan culture, nearly squelched by years of Soviet oppression, survived and was so valued by a blind blues musician from half a world away, and discovered by chance..... and the result is this shining combination of people.

This film is a beautiful and joyous experience, and so much more than a travelogue. I strongly recommend it.

9/10