The 13TH Hall of Fame

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Not playing for real, but here are my thoughts on the ones I have seen:

Dead Poets Society

Not really a fan. There just seems something so cliched about the whole 'inspirational teacher who gets through to kids but is kept down by the establishment' thing. Not one of Peter Weir's best in my book.

Wings of Desire

I think this is a fantastic film, but possibly a hard sell for a hall of fame. It took me three attempts to get into it, and even as a fan I will say that there are parts of it that have a soporific effect . But it is thought-provoking as well as gorgeous to look at.

Forbidden Games

I love this film! I was disappointed that it didn't make the fifties list. It is directed by Rene Clement, who also directed Plein Soleil (for those of you who were in the fifth hall of fame). It looks great and the story of loss in world war ii is really touching without being schmaltzy.

Dances With Wolves

I don't remember a lot about this, besides it being long and having lots of scenery, but I remember quite liking it.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter....and Spring.

Not a fan of this one at all. Heavy handed and full of animal cruelty. Looking forward to Miss Vicky's review of this one

I would quite like to see The Quiet Earth, Intouchables, The Hunt and the Marriage of Maria Braun, so I'll keep an eye out for those and post here if I get round to them!

Not playing for real, but here are my thoughts on the ones I have seen:

Dead Poets Society

Not really a fan. There just seems something so cliched about the whole 'inspirational teacher who gets through to kids but is kept down by the establishment' thing. Not one of Peter Weir's best in my book.

Wings of Desire

I think this is a fantastic film, but possibly a hard sell for a hall of fame. It took me three attempts to get into it, and even as a fan I will say that there are parts of it that have a soporific effect . But it is thought-provoking as well as gorgeous to look at.

Forbidden Games

I love this film! I was disappointed that it didn't make the fifties list. It is directed by Rene Clement, who also directed Plein Soleil (for those of you who were in the fifth hall of fame). It looks great and the story of loss in world war ii is really touching without being schmaltzy.

Dances With Wolves

I don't remember a lot about this, besides it being long and having lots of scenery, but I remember quite liking it.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter....and Spring.

Not a fan of this one at all. Heavy handed and full of animal cruelty. Looking forward to Miss Vicky's review of this one

I would quite like to see The Quiet Earth, Intouchables, The Hunt and the Marriage of Maria Braun, so I'll keep an eye out for those and post here if I get round to them!
Plein Soleil is an outstanding film, with a top notch cinematography and a chilling performance by Delon.

Glad to hear it was nominated at some point.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Captain Fantastic - This was good and Viggo was awesome - probably one of his most personal and honest roles. I liked the idea, I liked the story but the execution was as good as I hoped. This was merely a good film but I expected it to be either really good or even great.

The Hunt - Local masterpiece. One of the few Danish films that comes through once in a while and is actually amazing. Great and heartbreaking and depressing little film.
I agree to both comments, MM. I really enjoyed Captain Fantastic a lot more than I thought I would. The acting was excellent.

As for The Hunt, I've seen it a few times and each viewing leaves me curled up in the foetl position. Brilliant film but has a kick like a mule. Also superb acting, and the little girl is amzing.

Thanks Camo for taking care of this!

I must say these are all great nominations and I'm very enthusiastic about the HOF

Buffalo '66 - rewatch
Dead Poet's Society - rewatch but I'm actually rewatching it. I watched first half Monday.
Manchester by the Sea - rewatch - saw it just recently
Dances With Wolves - rewatch
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring - rewatch
The Marriage of Maria Braun - rewatch
The Three Musketeers - rewatch - I've seen this version like zillion times and the French one from 1961 too, and read the book of course
Captain Fantastic - never seen
The Hunt - rewatch
The Great Dictator - rewatch -
The Broken Circle Breakdown - never seen
Nightmare Alley - never seen
Forbidden Games - rewatch
The Intouchables - rewatch
The Quiet Earth - never seen
Wings of Desire - rewatch

Before your rewatch; did you like it? If not it's cool, you'll break my heart but i'll live haha.
i actually did like it. And i liked Ricci in it too. That's probably only Gallo's picture I like, not that he did many

Oh *****. I didn't even think about that. I'm not dumb just sheltered i think but i always assumed or at least hoped that was somehow fake.
Is it actual animl cruelty? I've never heard of that movie.

Is it actual animl cruelty? I've never heard of that movie.
It's real and the director has quite a history of torturing animals in the name of "art."
I don't find anything about torture either animal or human artistic but I'm OK with cams explanation.

Is it all real? I know that doesn't make a difference but there's a quite major thing that i read wasn't real and even if he has a name for that i see no reason why he'd make this part real.
I don't know if it is all real. I watched some clips from it on YouTube and what I saw was most definitely real.

I really hate Gallo as a person as i've said alot already, he's pretty amazing in this though.
WARNING: "buffalo '66" spoilers below
Probably partially because he is an a-hole for the majority of the film.
Hope you still like it/like it more.

You've seen 12/16? Damn, think that may be the most someone has seen going into one of these hall of fames Hope you enjoy and reconnect with a few, appreciate a few more, etc.
you've motivated me and i've just decided to watch your nom first. to honour the host haha

I've made that exact italicized point multiple times now to you and others, c'mon now. i'm not saying it's better that it wasn't more severe, i'm just saying that it wasn't more severe.
Like I said, I'm going to watch it all. But it's not possible for me to go in with an unbiased opinion. I'll be going into it with a feeling of disgust and it'll basically take a miracle for it to change that into anything remotely positive.

Legend in my own mind

Sarge is off watching it now, bet he hates it haha.
Got 20 mins in and had to stop...

...because we had visitors.

Will get back to it in an hour or so.

Anyway, I'm taking a break for lunch, but I've watched most of Captain Fantastic so I should have a write-up for that later today.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Buffalo '66 (Vincent Gallo, 1998)
Nominated by Camo
Haven't seen it

Dead Poet's Society (Peter Weir, 1989)
Nominated By Sarge
Haven't seen it, but have enjoyed everything else by Williams (including most recently The World According to Garp, which was amazing!)

Manchester By The Sea (Kenneth Lonergan, 2016)
Nominated By Raul
The first HoF nom I'll actually have to go to the cinema to watch, as it hasn't been released here yet. A local arthouse cinema's showing it on monday, so I guess that's my chance.

Dances With Wolves (Kevin Costner, 1990)
Nominated by Miss Vicky
Seen and owned, though I've ever only seen it once, several years ago. Remember liking it then, so I guess a rewatch won't hurt.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring (Kim Ki-Duk, 2003)
Nominated By Nestorio
Have seen it on some lists, but never been sufficiently curious to discover what it is. The comment about animal cruelty has brought it down a few pegs for me allready, but I will try to keep an open mind going forward.

The Marriage of Maria Braun (Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1979)
Nominated By Cricket
Recognize the name of the director, but little else. Not even sure if I've seen any of his movies, but it does look interesting.

The Three Musketeers (Richard Lester, 1973)
Nominated By Edarsenal
Aha, bringing out the big guns here I see, Ed. No joke, after we discussed our favourite adaptations of this story, I found both of these movies a few days later in my movie shop. More or less shrugged my shoulders and thought 'what the heck'. Bought them both on the spot and put them in my unseen pile. They still remain there, but now I guess I've got no excuse.

Captain Fantastic (Matt Ross, 2016)
Nominated By PussyGalore
Been wanting to see this since I first heard about it. Mortensen is always a interesting watch, and I liked this setup. Looking forward to this one.

The Hunt (Thomas Vinterberg, 2012)
Nominated By Neiba
Haven't seen this, looks interesting. As with Mortensen, Mikkelsen is always an entertaining watch (excluding Valhalla Rising, what in the everloving f***?)

The Great Dictator (Charlie Chaplin, 1940)
Nominated By SilentVamp
Was supposed to watch this for a film class when I was in high school, but missed it. Was supposed to write a paper on it too, but didn't do that either. Still came away with an A in that class. I guess it's time to make up for being lazy.

The Broken Circle Breakdown (Felix Van Groeningen, 2012)
Nominated By ScarlettLion
Haven't heard of this one.

Nightmare Alley (Edmund Goulding, 1947)
Nominated By Citizen Rules
Haven't heard of this either, but if you say it contains magic, then it has piqued my interest. Practical or actual magic?

Forbidden Games (Rene Clement, 1952)
Nominated By Jeff Costello
Don't know anything about this one

The Intouchables (Olivier Nakache, Eric Toledano, 2012)
Nominated By Nebu
Funny and charming, and totally they way I'd pick a assistant if I were in his shoes. (in his chair?) Highly entertaining and I'm looking forward to the rewatch

The Quiet Earth (Goeff Murphy, 1985)
Nominated By Clazor
I think I've taken the lead in the chategory "least people have heard of" for this HoF. Don't think I've read that anyone has actually seen this, and only one that was aware of it before. I take this to mean that I've stumbled across a hidden gem that everyone will like and will go on to win this HoF!

It was a toss up for me between this and three other noms. In the end, as I said, it came down to a hat and a blind draw. Looking at it now, I'm so glad I pulled this one. I stumbled across this in my pursuit for sci-fi movies to watch for the top 100 countdown, and in the end it made my list. Hopefully some of you will actually find this to be worth your time.

Wings of Desire (Wim Wenders, 1987)
Nominated By Cosmic
Heard of this, but haven't seen it. As previously stated by Ed, I've liked what movies Cosmic has nominated before, so I'm sure I'll like this one too.