Which was the best ever war movie?

Tools    

i think, Bridge on the river kuai deserves a special.mention

i think, Bridge on the river kuai deserves a special.mention
Thanks for mentioning this movie! I wasn't aware of it. Would definitely give it a watch.

Where’s Battle of the bulge or Enemy at the Gates? Those are two good ones.

If you think Enemy at the Gates is good then check out Come and See.

Its set in Belarus, WWII.
I'll have to check that one out, looks interesting. Valkyrie was another good one.

[/quote]

Is Downfall available in English? I tried downloading i but couldn't find it anywhere.

Make a better place
I hate all war movies

The only war movie that I liked is Fury, so the answer is Fury

Apocalypse now has got to be my favourite I saw Rogue one last night in a lot of ways that counts as a war film but not in the traditional sense. But it's undeniably very well-made and possibly my favourite Star Wars film alongside Empire strikes back. I guess you are supposed to call it a Star Wars story now but who cares.

So many great war movies to chose from. I would mention 5, any of which any one could claim top spot:

Full Metal Jacket

Blackhawk Down

The Deer Hunter

Saving Private Ryan

Platoon

The Great Escape, it has an all star cast, i read that Steve McQueen did all his own stunts in this film as he was a keen motorcyclist, plus he also played the role of one of the German officers chasing him in the final bike scene.
I read this too in his autobiography, he was into cars and bikes, just like me, I also saw an old interview of him describing his stunts during this film. Top film too!

1) Come and See
2) Paths of Glory
3) The Bridge on the River Kwai
4) To Be or Not to Be
5) The Battle of Algiers
6) Apocalypse Now
7) Full Metal Jacket
8) Lawrence of Arabia
9) Night and Fog
10) The Ascent

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I'm surprised only one mentioned The Battle Of Algiers, as I think it's the best war movie I've ever seen probably, though Schindlier's List is a worthy contender for the best too.

I still haven't seen Come and See yet, as I cannot find any English subtitled version of the movie!

I'm surprised only one mentioned The Battle Of Algiers, as I think it's the best war movie I've ever seen probably, though Schindlier's List is a worthy contender for the best too.

I still haven't seen Come and See yet, as I cannot find any English subtitled version of the movie!
The Battle of Algiers is really great. Initially, I found it difficult to relate to any of the characters in it. But then I looked up some critical essays and realized that Pontecorvo intentionally sacrificed character development in service of showing the events of the film on a much larger scale as he not only showed the years which the event took up, but how widespread the resistance effort and the efforts of the French troops to stop them got. It feels like such a grand and expansive portrayal of the events and it's now in my top 30 favorite films of all time.

Schindler's List makes for a fine film as long as you're willing to get down with Spielberg's sentimentality (which I usually have to do when I watch his films). Still one of the better best picture winners though in my opinion.

As for Come and See, I looked on Amazon, and I found a physical copy of it online.

https://www.amazon.com/Come-Smotri-K...gateway&sr=8-2

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Yeah I just didn't feel like buying Come and See, until I know if I liked it enough to buy first. Rather rent it to see it first if that's an option anywhere.

As for Schindler's List, I thought that sentimentality was earned in that one, and played naturally into the story world, compared to some Spielberg movies where it may be more forced otherwise.

That's understandable. I usually like to rent movies first as well. Sadly, Come and See is kind of an inaccessible film. Hopefully, it gets a Criterion release in the future.

I get what you're saying on Schindler's List. One of my friends who really likes that film argued that Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan (another one of his favorites) earn their sentimentality by subjecting their audience to such a visceral wringer of emotionally draining experiences that the sentimentality feels like a catharsis. I suppose my reaction to Schindler's List though was more "That was a well-made film" rather than any feeling of being put through the wringer. Part of this may be due to the fact that I'm pretty much desensitized to movie violence by now or that Night and Fog toughened me up for all other Holocaust films. Maybe watching it again may change my mind though. Who knows.

If you think Enemy at the Gates is good then check out Come and See.

Its set in Belarus, WWII.
It never sits right with me that people refer to this as a war movie, go figure.

Same as Der Bunker or Schindler's List, there should really be a separation from war movies and movies taking place during wartime
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

I typically lump all types of war films (combat, non-combat, and documentaries) under the general umbrella of war, but if I were to divide my opinion up into a few categories, my list would look something like this:

Combat:
1) The Battle of Algiers
2) Apocalypse Now
3) Full Metal Jacket
4) Lawrence of Arabia
5) The Thin Red Line

Non-Combat:
1) Come and See
2) Paths of Glory (less than a third of it takes place in the trenches, so I'm going to leave it in this category)
3) The Bridge on the River Kwai
4) To Be or Not to Be
5) The Ascent (again, not much of it involves combat)

War Documentaries:
1) Night and Fog
2) The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On
3) Shoah
4) Waltz with Bashir
5) Lessons of Darkness