So I Just Saw 'Eraserhead' and...

→ in
Tools    

It was f**king fantastic. Such a terrifying brilliant piece of cinema about responsibility, love, loss, and death. I have a feeling if you ask the exact meaning of 'Eraserhead' to 10 people: you'll get 10 different answers.

God I Love David Lynch.

RATING:

Anyone else's thoughts on the film?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I wasn't a fan when I first saw it. I appreciate it and I love what Lynch does, but I couldn't get into this one. I prefer Blue Velvet and Mulholland Dr.

Suspect's Reviews

I wasn't a fan when I first saw it. I appreciate it and I love what Lynch does, but I couldn't get into this one. I prefer Blue Velvet and Mulholland Dr.
What about 'Inland Empire?' (That's the next film of his I plan on seeing.)

I second what Usual Suspect said. After I saw it I said to myself - that's one film I never need to see again. (I have enough nightmares as it is.)

I love Eraserhead. I had no idea what to make of it at first, but even then I knew it was special. But after the second viewing it became an all time favorite film.

I suggest Blue Velcet or Mulholland Drive next.

I love Eraserhead. I had no idea what to make of it at first, but even then I knew it was special. But after the second viewing it became an all time favorite film.

I suggest Blue Velvet or Mulholland Drive next.
Fixed

Eraserhead has been the last movie that I watched to make me unable to sleep for a night, even though I am mostly desensitized to horror these days. To me it was a very powerful horror movie.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
What about 'Inland Empire?' (That's the next film of his I plan on seeing.)
Couldn't even finish it. Too long, too abstract...even for Lynch. Doesn't help that it was shot on video of all things.

I saw this at 17.... I had my Lynch phase, but this was one I couldn't stand... I love "The Elephant Man" and "The Straight Story"
That's also, like, Lynch's most non-Lynch films.

movies can be okay...
I remember seeing this twice in a row, and really liking it.
for me.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

That's also, like, Lynch's most non-Lynch films.
Indeed, The Elephant Man (1980) is a pretty straight biopic, albeit about a very tragic figure. And it's great - which makes me wonder why Lynch didn't make more "normal" movies.

P.S. Why did they change Joseph Merrick's first name to John for the movie?

My raking of the few Lynch's stuff I recall to have watched right now:

1st - Dune
2nd - Eraserhead
3rd - The Elephant Man (1980)
4th - Straight Story
5th - Mullolland Dr.
6th - Blue Velvet
7th - Twin Peaks

All was great though. I am a bigger fan of his normal stuff than his weird stuff as well.

Dune is a great achievement being the worst movie ever made.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

Dune is a great achievment being the worst movie ever made.
LOL. Beautiful description, Guapo. I concur.

Indeed, The Elephant Man (1980) is a pretty straight biopic, albeit about a very tragic figure. And it's great - which makes me wonder why Lynch didn't make more "normal" movies.
Because 2 Masterpieces had to be made...

When I saw Eraserhead it seemed like Lynch threw everything he was always good at into one movie. The design, the sound, the directing of actors, editing, lighting, and just overall creating another universe in a surreal world/nightmare. This is probably my favorite by him, Eraserhead.

I've seen Mullholland Drive recently, and that one is amazing, and Blue Velvet I've always felt was his perfect marriage of surreal and straight laced, but for just pure, uncut goodness, and weird cinema that looks stunning - Eraserhead.