Breathtaking Cinematography

Tools    

Undoubtedly, the most beautiful film of all time is Lawrence of Arabia. Its panoramic view of the barrenness of a monstrous desert is breathtaking. I think because it is so different from the world I inhabit that I am so drawn to it. It gives me an idea of what drew Lawrence to it in the first place. He too was in love with the alien landscape.

Here are five other films where I find significant beauty.

Doctor Zhivago

Amélie

The Wizard of Oz

The Color Purple

Aguirre: The Wrath of God
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Clicky HERE to see a whole long list of my faves, plus a couple pages of an old thread devoted to such a topic (at least going back as far as the '50s).
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I must become Caligari..!
I like your thread Bri' So i will post here,

The Man Who Wasn't There

O Brother Where Art Thou?

Fargo

Se7en

Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas

Apocalypse Now!

I know there mostly 90's but there all the films that are in my head.... ohhh and of course Lawrance Of Arabia
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

A system of cells interlinked
Breathtaking Cinematography (I still need some help with posting graphics.....)

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Blade Runner

Touch of Evil (just watched it, the opening scene alone gets this award, not to mention the murder scene in the hotel)

The Fifth Element

Anything Coen Bothers, but especially Miller's Crossing

As an aside: I seem to have trouble posting graphics that reside on my hard drive, unless I attach them as thumbs. I would like to attach stills etc. like some of the folks above, and have them placed sporadically throughout my posts. I find I can do this with graphics that reside on the web, but that is extremely limiting and I would like to run a pic archive on my drive from which to pull from. Any help/advice is appreciated.

_S

Lets put a smile on that block
Love your new Avatar Hondo. Its also a great film with great cinematography.

Edward Scissorhands

Originally Posted by Sedai
As an aside: I seem to have trouble posting graphics that reside on my hard drive, unless I attach them as thumbs. I would like to attach stills etc. like some of the folks above, and have them placed sporadically throughout my posts. I find I can do this with graphics that reside on the web, but that is extremely limiting and I would like to run a pic archive on my drive from which to pull from. Any help/advice is appreciated.

_S
I believe thumbs are the only thing you can do with pics from your harddrive.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Andrei Rublev

I Am Cuba

The fact that this is a Communist propaganda film doesn't detract from the marvelous cinematography.

Some of those already mentioned are good.

Last of the Mohicans.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Stalker (1979) - Andrei Tarkovsky (Aleksandr Knyazhinsky)

The Mirror (1975) - Andrei Tarkovsky (Georgi Rerberg)

The Seventh Seal (1957) - Ingmar Bergman (Gunnar Fischer)

Hero (2002) - Yimou Zhang (Christopher Doyle)

Gosford Park (2001) - Robert Altman (Andrew Dunn)

The Red Shoes (1948) - Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger (Jack Cardiff)

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
The Red Shoes (1948) - Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger (Jack Cardiff)

I LOVED The Red Shoes!

I wanted to mention Sense and Sensibility (1995). Ang Lee has such a great eye.

yep i would have to agree that amelie had great cinematography.It had me right from the start during the scene of a car driving down a brick road during a sunset if i am remembering correctly.

Oh, yeah, definately, yeah.
Kill Bill Volume 1
The Matrix
Band of Brothers

"I can't help it..."
Kill Bill: Vol. 1
American Beauty
Road To Perdition
City Of God
The Virgin Suicides
Once Upon A Time In America
Another Day In Paradise
Vanilla Sky
Barry Lyndon
The Tracker
Rabbit-Proof Fence
Grilled (Jason Ensler, 2006) ****
An Inconvenient Truth (David Guggenheim, 2006) ****
The Family Stone (Thomas Bezucha, 2005) ***1/2
Rocky III (Sylvester Stallone, 1982) ***
--------------------------------------------
Visit My Blog!

or, my myspace!

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Aniko
I LOVED The Red Shoes!

I wanted to mention Sense and Sensibility (1995). Ang Lee has such a great eye.

Originally Posted by susan
there is one movie that comes to mind and that is terence malick's days of heaven..one beautiful motion picture
Definately.

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by Piddzilla

You are so bad.....come here.~

Oh, yeah, definately, yeah.
Actually, im gonna change when i said The Matrix to The Matrix Revolutions. Dont get me wrong, The Matrix had great cinomatography, but The Matrix Revolutions was amazing with the camera. Like when Agent Smith and Neo were fighting inside the building, with the slo-mo and the camera angles, and when they were in front of the window and all you could see was their shiloutte. omg. genius.