Iron Man Wouldn’t Work Today According To Black Panther Writer

Tools    

The Marvel Cinematic Universe celebrate its tenth anniversary this year and it kick started with Iron Man back in 2008. The “Genius, Billionaire, Playboy, Philanthropist” weapons manufacturer turned superhero portrayed by Robert Downey Jr. was well received by the critics and audience alike. Iron Man was also a turning point in RDJ’s acting career as it was his very first genuine blockbuster hit.

Joe Robert Cole, the co-writer of Black Panther feels that the reception towards Tony Stark from the 2008 Iron Man would have been pretty much critical, had the movie hit the screens now. In the span of ten years, the world has changed a whole lot. The immense success of movies like Wonder Woman and Black Panther has driven theater owners to call for more diversity in studio movies.

Joe Robert Cole and Nicole Perlman, the co-writer of Guardians of the Galaxy and the upcoming Captain Marvel, was attending the Superhero Science panel at the SXSW 2018. During the session, Cole was asked whether superheroes’ values reflect or shape the culture. The actor referenced Donald Trump while also nodding to the campaigns like #MeToo, with his reply:

"Think about where we are now, with this very vapid, unintelligent president and our world is crackling on the edges because of that. Think back to Tony Stark, him being douchey and being okay. If that character, Stark, was created in a movie today, I wonder if the response would be like, ‘Oh, it’s cool that he’s douchey and disrespectful to women … That’s fine.’ I think we’re at a different place. I think it’s a better place."

The character of Tony Stark has underwent a dramatic redemption arc in the Marvel Cinematic Universe ever since his introduction in Iron Man. In today’s world, audience might find it difficult to root for his character as he constantly fails in the struggles to better himself. Just like all the films, the original Iron Man was a product of its time and it stands to reason that Tony Stark’s high jinks would be judged far more critically today, for that reason.

Source: hollywoodbytez

Iron Man is a teaching moment not an archetype that should be avoided. Theres plenty good there. Good writers can do great things with that character. And by the way, Stark is nothing like Trump. Stark would view Donald Trump as an imbecile and a blow hard and an empty suit and an ass. He wouldnt think he was anything like him. Just because they are rich business men that have certain social issues doesnt make them anything like each other.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
^Agreed.
Stark had a pretty quick 180-forcing experience right up front too, which sent him on a new path of self-awareness. Yeah, the guy is cocky as hell, but that's not all that he is portrayed as.

I think the comparison is weak and probably could have used another example. I can't think of one though.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I thought Iron Man was one of the better comic book movies as it remained fairly true to its source while updating the story effectively (making the initial villains Middle Eastern terrorists as opposed to the Vietcong of the sixties). I don't like changes to origin stories, but to make a completely outdated one fit in more modern times, I'll make an exception.

Personally, I never cared for Robert Downey Jr. in the role of Stark. He did a fine job, but I felt they changed the character a little: I always saw Stark as more of the aloof genius tycoon playboy - more of a quiet but intellectual James Bond type as opposed to the wise-cracking crime fighter. And Marvel has so many wise-cracking superheroes (Spider-Man being the most notable in that department, but you also have characters like the Human Torch, the Thing, Deadpool, and various X-Men with their catchphrases.) Turning Tony into a sardonic wisecracker just seemed to make him a Marvel cliche.

A system of cells interlinked
Remember, art shouldn't exist unless it aligns with a very specific set of political ideas.

Or something.

TOTAL BULLSH**!

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Does Tony disrespect women though really? The woman he slept with in the first movie consented to it, and seemed to know what she was getting into.

^Agreed.
Stark had a pretty quick 180-forcing experience right up front too, which sent him on a new path of self-awareness. Yeah, the guy is cocky as hell, but that's not all that he is portrayed as.
His 180 turn was unbelievable to me too. There are plenty of main characters who do 180 turns near the beginning. Tony's was just too unbelievable IMO.

Critics, directors, actors, producers, writers, etc. say whatever the hell they want to believe to justify their reasons for doing what they want. Maybe they do change something to modernize it for current audiences. It'll either be praiseworthy or tank at the theaters. However, I find that more movies tank when they placate to current trends, rather than break through forbidden boundaries. I go to the movies for the entertainment value. I want to see a good storyline, with well thought through dialogue, whose cast can act it out well.

For instance, 50 Shades of Grey is BDSM, bondage, domination over a woman, and SOOOOO much more taboo. Then why is the film and the continuing trilogy doing so well? Superhero films and space fantasy and sci-fi movies are huge money makers. This is because people go to the movies for entertainment. I didn't go to see Hunger Games because of its political view or stance. I didn't watch Black Panther for the racial diversity. I didn't watch Harry Potter for anti-religious views. I watch movies for entertainment, and that's why I see films like Deadpool, Pan's Labyrinth, Pretty Woman, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, etc.

If I enjoyed a movie, I'll probably go see it again and then buy it on disc or digital download, as well as tell others about it and why I liked it. If I didn't enjoy it, I'll tell people about it and why I didn't enjoy it.

I watched the whole Iron Man series last year, as i was trying to get a feel for this DC/Marvel craze. I thought it was average to poor at best. Or maybe just watching so many of these comic book movies all at once had an effect. I just gave up after Iron Man. Just not worth the time. I dont know about the political aspect of the current scenario, would effect the movie sales. Some female groups might have thrown some hissy fits for sure, but at the end of the day, he is just making a calculated guess.

Welcome to the human race...
His 180 turn was unbelievable to me too. There are plenty of main characters who do 180 turns near the beginning. Tony's was just too unbelievable IMO.
ynwtf didn't say the turn was unbelievable, though - you just assumed he agreed with you because you equate a "quick" turn with an unbelievable one (as if it's not confirmed until a third of the way through the film anyway).

As for the topic (nice clickbait title btw, OP), I figure it's worth mentioning that Iron Man came out during the Bush II administration and does function as a basic criticism of the military-industrial complex profiting off the War on Terror - Tony himself could almost be considered a loose Bush analog in that he follows his father's footsteps into an industry where he's content to allow Stane/Cheney to take care of the dirty work he either doesn't know or doesn't care about. In that regard, it is part of the fantasy that the powerful but selfish man can have a change of heart that leads him to use his power for good (which is obviously a far cry from the unpleasant reality we dealt with then and deal with now).

On that note, it does remind me of an interesting point from this YouTube video arguing about whether or not Black Panther could be considered racist (just to be clear, this particular video says no it's not) - the idea that people still think of Scrooge from A Christmas Carol as a cruel miser even though the whole point of the book is that he learns to be kind and generous by the end of the book, but the public perception of the character still fixates on him before he changes for the better.

ynwtf didn't say the turn was unbelievable, though - you just assumed he agreed with you because you equate a "quick" turn with an unbelievable one (as if it's not confirmed until a third of the way through the film anyway).
I specifically said that heroes in other films do 180 turns and it works fine. Tony Stark's just wasn't set up properly, IMO. His motivation for completely switching directions was weak to me.