2017 MoFo Film Awards

Tools    

This is how I voted. Lots of quality there. I think 2017 was a great year for film.

Best Film of The Year:
The Killing of a sacred deer
The Florida project
The Eyes of My Mother
Frantz
Columbus
Good Time
Personal Shopper
Loveless
God’s Own Country
The Square

Worst Film of the Year:
Baby Driver
I'm guessing most weren't including 2016 films so Frantz, The Eyes of My Mother and Personal Shopper had little chance.

I'm guessing most weren't including 2016 films so Frantz, The Eyes of My Mother and Personal Shopper had little chance.
Yes. All 3 of those weren't released until Spring 2017 in UK. I did okay them with The Usual Suspect. I'm not sure if people voted for them last year ?

Also too bad The Breadwinner didn't make it for Best Animated Film, i'd have nominated it had i seen it on time. It's better than Coco and The Lego Batman Movie, haven't seen the other two.

Yes. All 3 of those weren't released until Spring 2017 in UK. I did okay them with The Usual Suspect. I'm not sure if people voted for them last year ?
I have no idea. Just saying i think most will avoid nominating films with a 2016 release date so they didn't have a great chance. The only one i saw was Split and that was a blockbuster plus it was only nominated for Surprise and Trailer i think.

Best Breakout Performance

Timothée Chalamet - Call Me By Your Name

Most Memorable Scene

The Peach - Call Me By Your Name

Best Screenplay

Best Supporting Actor

Michael Stuhlbarg - Call Me By Your Name

Best Actor

Timothée Chalamet - Call ME By Your Name

OMG I AM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW, THANK YOU MOFOS!!!!!!!!!!

Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman being nominated for Logan is cracking me up. I liked that film a lot and they were good but man, they were better than Rockwell at least. The Scene Category is noticeably terrible, dang. Although i suppose it's memorable scene and not best.

It'd be cool if we had to send a ranked list of the nominees and you do it the same way as the countdowns, because it's kinda BS that anyone can vote in anything even if they've not seen the other noms. But maybe that's too much work so whatever.

Thanks for doing this Suspect
Ranking the noms has been discussed in the past. It’s something I might try next year to see if it radically changes the nominations.

I more meant ranking the films in our voting lists, meaning your #1 would get five points if you've seen all five nominees. As some of the lesser known films have very little chance of winning because people can vote for something else without seeing them. I understand it would be a tonne of work though.

I want to see a few movies before voting. Definitely will get to CMBYN and I, Tonya. I think Faces Places will be available before deadline as well. The Square may get watched this week. I don't know if I can do Raw. Someone tell me I have to...I don't know...maybe. I have almost started it a couple times. Unfortunately I will be a year behind on most of the foreign stuff. Don't know why it takes so long for US to get this stuff on VOD. You would think they would want it out there.

Anyway no real big surprises. We always look more like the Oscars than most here would like with a couple of genre exceptions. Good Time and Sacred Deer being those this year which makes sense if you have been on Mofo at all.

Great work Suspect, the thread looks great!

A lot of my nominations didn't quite match up with what made the list, but I expected as much. I'm surprised to see the Dark Tower made the worst films list though. I thought it was fine, and there were so many worse films out last year.

While I expected Logan to get a couple of nominations, I didn't expect to see it in so many categories. I nominated it for Most Overrated, but it didn't make that list of course haha. Most of my overrated nominations were comic book films, actually.

Detroit, Stronger, and Brigsby Bear should all be represented but overall it looks pretty good to me.
I had Brigsby Bear on my list in a couple of places. I don't think many people saw it.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I want to see a few movies before voting. Definitely will get to CMBYN and I, Tonya. I think Faces Places will be available before deadline as well. The Square may get watched this week. I don't know if I can do Raw. Someone tell me I have to...I don't know...maybe. I have almost started it a couple times. Unfortunately I will be a year behind on most of the foreign stuff. Don't know why it takes so long for US to get this stuff on VOD. You would think they would want it out there.

Anyway no real big surprises. We always look more like the Oscars than most here would like with a couple of genre exceptions. Good Time and Sacred Deer being those this year which makes sense if you have been on Mofo at all.
I havent done Raw yet either, infact quite a few on the list are up for a binge this weekend. I'll let you know. Do we have to watch them to vote? The sandman is still in my eyes.

I love I Tonya but without knowing your taste completely it's incredibly violent IMO and the mother is utterly offensive, Sean.

I havent done Raw yet either, infact quite a few on the list are up for a binge this weekend. I'll let you know. Do we have to watch them to vote? The sandman is still in my eyes.

I love I Tonya but without knowing your taste completely it's incredibly violent IMO and the mother is utterly offensive, Sean.
You don't have to watch everything to vote, I just like to watch as much as possible.

I don't expect to be offended by I, Tonya but how they handle the themes will probably impact my overall feelings. Just judging by others reactions at this point obviously.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
You don't have to watch everything to vote, I just like to watch as much as possible.

I don't expect to be offended by I, Tonya but how they handle the themes will probably impact my overall feelings. Just judging by others reactions at this point obviously.
yeah I like to watch as much as possible as well.

Do you remember the media attention at the time? I dont recall any mention of the mothers at all but that's bye the bye. I was just curious if you remember it and what you thought, and how different or the same it is once you see the movie.
Also, keep an eye out for the cgi people were buzzing about when it came out.

I more meant ranking the films in our voting lists, meaning your #1 would get five points if you've seen all five nominees. As some of the lesser known films have very little chance of winning because people can vote for something else without seeing them. I understand it would be a tonne of work though.
Yeah, I knew what you meant. It's something that has been considered.

Suspect's Reviews

movies can be okay...
- I would of loved to see The Killing of a Sacred Deer getting a mention in the cinematography category, since that's one of the pre-eminent aspects of the film.
- I hoped to see the two leads of Loveless in the acting categories, but I figured they wouldn't pop up so whatever.
- Happy End's all-star cast should of also have gotten a nod in that category.
- Categories such as "Best Trailer" and "Best Scene" deserve much better, in my opinion.

Other than that, the nominations are pretty cool. Nice job!
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

So few people voted in Best Trailer category that I'm thinking of eliminating it next year. It's weird because it should be the one category that everyone is able to nominate in.