Luis' Movie Log for 2018 (excluding new releases)

→ in
Tools    

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Thank you so much for the nice comments! Yeah, I genuinely loved this movie, it was beautiful. I didn't mention it in my review, but I definitely cried at the end as well.

As you noted, this is a 'personal story' and the depth and poignancy of a father's great love makes this war/holocaust story so touching and meaningful . I cried at the end, I always do - but it is a film I return to, even though I cry, because of all the things you said.
You nailed it! That's exactly what I think, I probably mumbled my way through the same sentence but, yes, it was awesome.

Also, don't feel bad at recommending heartbreakers, I love watching these kinds of movies.

26. Seven Samurai (1954)

Director: Akira Kurosawa

This is another movie that I will have much respect for, I'm not sure I would sit down and watch it again though. The film is highly effective in character, tension building, and action shooting. There are a few stand out sequences, I'm sure you guys know which I'm taking about. Also, this didn't feel like a 3+ hour film, it's hard for a film this long to keep me invested throughout, and this did it, so good job film! Other than that, there was never anything that stood out as "amazing" in this film, it was just very good in general, it's not hard to see why so many people love it.

SCORE - 75/100

I still have yet to see Seven Samurai somehow.
Same here. And I've already seen 8 other Kurosawa films... The length is obviously the reason, but I'll finally get to it during the Easter break.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Same here. And I've already seen 8 other Kurosawa films... The length is obviously the reason, but I'll finally get to it during the Easter break.
Think I've only seen 2 or 3. But yeah I need to get to it soon.

Which other Kurowasa would you recommend?

27. Captain America: Civil War (2016)

Directors: The Russo Brothers

[RE-WATCH]
This is one of, if not my favorite movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. My favorite MCU movies are the ones that mix the blockbuster fun with actual dramatic depth. This film explores the repercussions that come with being a superhero, and it is done beautifully. It mixes political tension, fantastic action, and great characters. It's a movie that I actually felt had some true stakes. I wouldn't give it a perfect score, because there are a few instances in which the lighthearted humor undercuts the dramatic momentum, but this is the closest thing to mature storytelling under Marvel's belt. (Black Panther too)

SCORE - 95/100

28. The Graduate (1967)

Director: Mike Nichols

This was overall a very entertaining and worthwhile film with a couple of stand out sequences. The entire first half of the film was fantastic, the whole affair with an older woman scenario was very well executed; Anne Bancroft gave one of the sexiest performances ever. The chemistry between them two was also great to watch on screen, there was some awesome dialogue exchanges

There are also some extremely well constructed shots, and each one intelligently serves an exact purpose to the impact of the narrative. The film faltered a bit for me on the second half, while it was still very entertaining, I had trouble connecting to the relationship established with the daughter, they had one brief date and now I'm expected to root for their marriage?The film could've been 15 minutes longer and it could've developed their connection more. I also didn't care much for the protagonist, in the end he was just unlikable. My experience might have been soured a bit because the video kept on buffering frustratingly often, just know that my score may go up or down a little once I watch it again. Very good definitely, I just can't really pinpoint if I can say anything beyond that.

SCORE - 65100

Iron Man, The Avengers 1 & 2 and probably Guardians of the Galaxy.
Love Iron Man, Love the first Avengers. I thought the second was pretty good and Guardians of the Galaxy was awesome even though I did not care at all for the sequel.

29. Chinatown (1974)

Director: Roman Polanski

There aren't many aspects of the film that I want to address, I just though this was an all around great film. The mystery kept me hooked, and every plot unveiling was impactful and conjured up a new perspective for the film. I also really enjoyed the characters, more importantly the shadowed aspects of their personality, and there are so many extended scenes that use fantastic dialogue. The ending flabbergasted me as well, and it was so effective following the edge-of-your seat sequences in the third act. I can see myself loving the film more in future watches, as I feel at times the information dumps were too many to properly dissect in one watch.

SCORE - 80/100

Week 11

Films I'm watching this week:

#30 Ferris Bueller's Day off (1986)
#31 Blue Velvet (1986)
#32 Groundhog Day (1993)

Full list here

28. The Graduate (1967)

Director: Mike Nichols

This was overall a very entertaining and worthwhile film with a couple of stand out sequences. The entire first half of the film was fantastic, the whole affair with an older woman scenario was very well executed; Anne Bancroft gave one of the sexiest performances ever. The chemistry between them two was also great to watch on screen, there was some awesome dialogue exchanges

There are also some extremely well constructed shots, and each one intelligently serves an exact purpose to the impact of the narrative. The film faltered a bit for me on the second half, while it was still very entertaining, I had trouble connecting to the relationship established with the daughter, they had one brief date and now I'm expected to root for their marriage?The film could've been 15 minutes longer and it could've developed their connection more. I also didn't care much for the protagonist, in the end he was just unlikable. My experience might have been soured a bit because the video kept on buffering frustratingly often, just know that my score may go up or down a little once I watch it again. Very good definitely, I just can't really pinpoint if I can say anything beyond that.

SCORE - 70/100
Well I was awaiting your review of this movie and I was in great agreement with your observations. Glad to know we were coming to many of the same conclusions, even if we first watched it in different centuries. Although the film may be considered a ''classic' and certainly a benchmark, I ve always had my reservations about it, which you've defined very well. Had to lol at your statement re: why are you expected to root for their marriage after one date. Hilarious and true. After all, you're expected to 'suspend disbelief' in a good movie, but hard to digest this plot turn. One thing you pointed out that I totally agree with is that this is an essentially unlikable character. I sure didn't like him. Actors can take a basically unappealing character and make you empathize or root for them somehow- like Jack Nicholson in Five Easy Pieces.

So even though I occasionally rewatch the film, it s far from my top ten- or top 100 list. Maybe a must see for the issues it tackles at that time, but done far better in other films.

Btw, I sometimes think Dustin Hoffman was miscast in the role, someone else may have handled it better, tho not sure who.

So even though I occasionally rewatch the film, it s far from my top ten- or top 100 list. Maybe a must see for the issues it tackles at that time, but done far better in other films.

Btw, I sometimes think Dustin Hoffman was miscast in the role, someone else may have handled it better, tho not sure who.
Yeah I don't think the film would ever make my Top 100. And if the idea was to make him likable, it really didn't work at all. In the beginning it was all "I'm worried about my future" which I think most of us can relate to, but after that he felt very arrogant and selfish.

movies can be okay...
I'm curious to hear your thoughts on Blue Velvet, will that be your first Lynch? By the way, it was released in '86 not '96.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke