Okay's Thoughts on Okay Films

→ in
Tools    

movies can be okay...
This will be the thread where I store my thoughts on every film I watch, for the next twelve months. I'm more so interested in knowing if I'm gonna pussy out, or continue with this challenge until the end of the year. We'll see...

January:
The Double Life of Veronique | Coffee and Cigarettes | The Recall | Mystery Train | Punch-Drunk Love | Night on Earth | The Phantom of Liberty | Y Tu Mamá También | Tower | Winter Light | Cries and Whispers | Time of the Wolf [RE-WATCH] | Blow Out | The Passion of Anna | Decalogue X. [RE-WATCH] | Badlands | Animal Kingdom | Tenebre | The Florida Project | A Silent Voice | Coco |

February:
IT | Magical Girl [RE-WATCH] | El Topo [RE-WATCH] | Happy End [RE-WATCH] | Lady Bird | Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri | Overdrive | Call Me by Your Name | Dunkirk | The Shape of Water |

March:
La Ciénaga | The Disaster Artist | Interiors | Irréversible | Peeping Tom | Brigsby Bear | My Dinner With Andre | Murmur of the Heart | It's Such a Beautiful Day | Like Father, Like Son [RE-WATCH] | In the Mood for Love | Man on Wire | Dead Man's Shoes | Han Gong-ju | Perfect Blue | Raging Bull | After Hours | Millennium Actress | An American Werewolf in London |

April:
Phoenix | Thelma | The Passenger | Metropolitan | Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du commerce, 1080 Bruxelles | The Umbrellas of Cherbourg | A History of Violence | The Secret in Their Eyes | Miller’s Crossing | You Were Never Really Here | The Sword of Doom | Entre Nos | sex,lies, and videotape | Monsieur Hire |
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

movies can be okay...
The Double Life of Veronique (1991) by Krzysztof Kieślowski

"The Double Life of Veronique" is a beautiful looking film, starring the beautiful Irène Jacob, who delivers a beautiful performance. Puppeteer Kieślowski presents the same themes we would become used to from his filmography, and even though he touches the same ground, he still has fresh things to be said, and new ideas to express. Even though this isn't my favourite entry from the Polish director, I would agree to the fact that it is his best movie overall. The second half is somewhat of a struggle to get through, but the exceptional cinematography is enough of an eye candy to still keep me engaged and interested.

⭐⭐⭐1/2

movies can be okay...
I'm not even sure what to make of the film, yet.
Yes, it is by all means a great one, but it seriously felt as if there was a barrier separating me sometimes from the movie's universe, so I'm still scrubbing my head when it comes to a few of the happenings. This is definitely Kieślowski's most challenging film from what I've seen, and it demands at least one other viewing to properly and fairly digest it.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
I'm not even sure what to make of the film, yet.
Yes, it is by all means a great one, but it seriously felt as if there was a barrier separating me sometimes from the movie's universe, so I'm still scrubbing my head when it comes to a few happenings. This is definitely Kieślowski's most challenging film from what I've seen, and it demands at least one other viewing to properly and fairly digest it.
I agree it is the most challenging movie, but I can't say it's my fav one. There is quite interesting plot in Veronique and some kind of spiritual charm (like in every movie of Kieslowski), but Decalogue was more intense, IMO.
I recommend You Blind Chance. I'm looking forward to see Your opinion.

movies can be okay...
I agree it is the most challenging movie, but I can't say it's my fav one. There is quite interesting plot in Veronique and some kind of spiritual charm (like in every movie of Kieslowski), but Decalogue was more intense, IMO.
I recommend You Blind Chance. I'm looking forward to see Your opinion.
I agree, "The Decalogue" is my favourite work from him as well, and I don't think that spot will ever change. Although, "Three Colours" trilogy is not too far behind.

I already saw "Blind Chance", and I thought parts of it were fantastic, the only thing holding it back is the excessive inclusion of politics into the film, not only was that distracting, but it also isolated me from the story, since I'm pretty unfamiliar to all of that stuff.

Now, I'm interested in his other movie, "Camera Buff", have you seen it?

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Hm. Thats interesting. When I saw Blind Chance for the first time I thought it is very universal movie. It was made in time, when in Poland was communism and I didn't find there many references to the polictal situation (or maybe I should say, I didn't put much attention). Now You say something quite opposite. That is good think to compare my oppinion with somebody with different point of view, who wasn't raised in the East Europe

Yes, I've seen Camear Buff and watching this movie You have to be prepare for a big ration of politics. I think it's really good movie. It's cult classic in Poland.

movies can be okay...
Coffee and Cigarettes (2003) by Jim Jarmusch

I've been meaning for quite some time to dive into Jim Jarmush's filmography, and now, it seems that I have made the right choice by beginning with "Coffee and Cigarettes", since it totally fits as a charming introduction to the director's earlier works. For a film about characters sitting down, smoking cigarettes, drinking coffee, and awkwardly interacting with each other, it doesn't get too tedious or repetitive, which I was afraid of it becoming. Quite the opposite actually, I think the film is paced perfectly, with each vignette having its own unique glamour to gush over. On the other hand, there isn't anything special or exceptional about its aspects of film-making, and frankly, they don't need to be anyway, since the movie totally works as a small-scale flick to enjoy during any day of the week.

⭐⭐⭐

movies can be okay...
"The Double Life of Veronique" feels apart of the Colours trilogy anyway, it should of been actually called "Four Colours: Golden Green"

Unregistered User
Coffee and Cigarettes (2003) by Jim Jarmusch

I've been meaning for quite some time to dive into Jim Jarmush's filmography, and now, it seems that I have made the right choice with beginning by "Coffee and Cigarettes", since it does work as a charming introduction to the director's earlier works. For a film about characters sitting down, smoking cigarettes, drinking coffee, and awkwardly interacting with each other, it doesn't get too tedious or repetitive, which I was afraid it may become, in fact, I think the film is paced perfectly, with each vignette having its own unique glamour to gush over. There isn't anything special or exceptional about its aspects of filmmaking, and they really don't need to be, since the movie totally works as that fine little flick to sit through during a workday, and still come out of it pleased.

I went on a bit of a Jarmusch rampage recently. His filmography is exceptional. Stranger Than Paradise, Down by Law and Night on Earth are what I would recommend most.

movies can be okay...
The Recall (2017) by Mauro Borrelli

Don't look at me like that, I would never watch this on my own accord (at least not, not ironically), it just so happens that from time to time, my English teacher pulls out a horrendous movie for the class to watch, and as a consequence, I have to suffer. "Baywatch", "S.W.A.T: Under Siege" and "I Spit on Your Grave 3", are just a few of the other noteworthy films I've had the honour of seeing, due to this same professor, so if nothing does, that should definitely tell you something about this type of movie.

What to even say? Again, you don't have to watch this movie, to know it's absolute garbage, that should be obvious just by looking at the poster above. Speaking of the poster, I find it quite funny that the main character isn't even showcased in it, while two side characters are...What a mess! Even though the movie is totally inept in every single way, I was still semi-interested in all of the occurring foolishness for some reason, so I guess "The Recall" should get a cookie for not being maddeningly bad.

movies can be okay...
I went on a bit of a Jarmusch rampage recently. His filmography is exceptional. Stranger Than Paradise, Down by Law and Night on Earth are what I would recommend most.
I already have "Night on Earth" along with "Mystery Train" ready to be watched, so I'm excited about that. The other two you mentioned are on my watchlist, so I'm gonna eventually get to them at some point of time, or maybe sooner than I even think, that is if one of his two films I'm planning on seeing, exceed my expectations.

I already have "Night on Earth" along with "Mystery Train" ready to be watched, so I'm excited about that. The other two you mentioned are on my watchlist, so I'm gonna eventually get to them at some point of time, or maybe sooner than I even think, that is if one of his two films I'm planning on seeing, exceed my expectations.
If you're gonna watch some Jarmusch, you definitely have to see Dead Man.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

movies can be okay...
Mystery Train (1989) by Jim Jarmusch

"Mystery Train" takes us through one day and one night, in the city of Memphis, from three different yet linked perspectives. Each perspective has its own unique and charming story to tell, which is due to Jim Jarmusch's ability to masterfully write so subtly, such an engaging world. My favourite segment of the three is easily "Far From Yokohama", where a Japanese couple simply wanders around the city, but the way they play off of each other and interact with their surroundings, is what makes for an exceedingly entertaining and engrossing tail, while also being the quietest episode of the bunch.

The fact that Jarmusch is capable of portraying such charm so effortlessly is truly formidable, and had he kept this exact same energy throughout the entirety of the movie, this would have become among my favourite flicks of all time. The remaining two segments, "A Ghost" and "Lost in Space", undoubtedly contain brilliant moments as well, but they're simply not enough to top their superior segment.

🌟🌟🌟🌟

movies can be okay...
Punch-Drunk Love (2002) by Paul Thomas Anderson

Call me crazy, but this is in fact, the first film by Paul Thomas Anderson I've had the utmost pleasure of seeing...Why am I this late to the party you may ask? Welp, so many movies, so little time

"Punch-Drunk Love" spoke to me on a personal level, due to how much of myself I saw in the delicately written main character, who's played by a brilliant Adam Sandler, how rare is that! Maybe just as rare as this film's unique usage of lighting and lens flare. Although, I'm not too sure about its purpose or significance, other than giving the movie an eccentric look. Either way, the film is stunning.

Furthermore, director Anderson has already proved to me how masterful his capabilities can be, by ably utilising all aspects of film-making to their fullest extents. This is showcased many times, such as in the sequence where Barry's sister brings Lena to meet her brother at his work-place. Not only is said scene humorous, energetic, and meticulously calculated, but its accompanying score blends perfectly with the rapid happenings, just as much as it represents Barry's emotional state. Moments like these are crucial reminders of how powerful the medium of film can be, when used appropriately. This was a fantastic introduction to PTA's world, that has ignited my desire of going through all of his work, more than ever.

🌟🌟🌟🌟1/2