Camo's 2018 Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

Watched the first hour of A Star Is Born last night and...OMG, the still photos use has got to be the single most jarring thing i've ever seen in a film. I had no clue about it and had to stop the movie to find out wtf was going on. Would much rather have watched it with that cut entirely as it seriously threw me off. It's when it happens as well; it first happens right after Esther says goodbye to Danny and the others then suddenly we are looking at production stills of Norman/Mason on a boat then Esther at some womans house, i still don't have a clue what was going on during this part it was just way too offputting to take any of it in. Like it's straight up unpleasant and you miss an important part of the story with Esther's situation completely shifting and new characters being introduced and who the fck knows what's going on with Norman, that's obviously not their fault (well it's whoever messed the footage ups fault) but still, very unfortunate. Good effort on attempting a restoration but uh...no! Had to stop it at that point watching the other two hours shortly.

Also i think i'd bump my rating of BPM up to
+ at least as i couldn't stop thinking about it all day. It bestows a crushing sense of mortality and makes it clear just how severe and tragic this disease is and especially was in the 80's/90's when there was seemingly not much hope. I mean i'm not an idiot i already knew all of this but i didn't think a fictional film could hit me this hard after i watched Silverlake Life, it has and in a very different way. Particularly in how seamlessly the film shifts from them throwing around fake blood and putting on parades to them dying. When it decides to depict death/dying it lets us into these peoples lives who we've only got to know in small superficial dose up to this point. it was very effective. The sex scene where they explain how they contracted it and condom use/the risk of infection is kind of always on your mind because of how it begins, especially won't leave my brain that scene is so dark yet really emotional too. It's weird that i recognized all of this while watching but it didn't effect me as much, i found it sad but it wasn't until first thing this morning that it entered my brain and kind of destroyed me, was like a powerful aftershock. It's absolutely not perfect and it's not really something i'd give 4.5 or higher because it feels longer than it should be, parts like certain act up meetings are really unnecessarily drawn out to the point that it was impossible for me to care throughout but the parts that work work alot and it had an intense lingering effect on me.

A Star Is Born

Nope! Was quite enjoying it at first but those production stills completely threw everything off especially when they appeared again later. From then on this was close to unwatchable i had to take breaks to finish it, and it was three hours long so it was such a struggle. Garland was great and i liked the visuals but everything else just didn't work in the slightest. I also think scenes were absurdly dragged out, the scenes themselves didn't even have to be there as they added nothing to the story or character development. Suppose they were there to be funny and/or entertaining but i rarely found them either. It's unfortunate about the missing footage with that intact i may have not been completely dragged out of the films atmosphere and story. it could have got 3 or 3.5 maybe, but after that i was just waiting for this to end. The good news is i think a Musical like this could work for me without these unfortunate circumstances so i'm interested in trying others soon.

Whoops, I repped you before I seen you gave it 1 star Cool that you watched it though

I didn't like the production stills in place of the missing footage either. But I just glossed over that part, and enjoyed the rest. My favorite number is the opening number with Judy rehearsing with her band in the club. The way they shoot that and the song itself is a straight up 5/5 for me.

Whoops, I repped you before I seen you gave it 1 star Cool that you watched it though

I didn't like the production stills in place of the missing footage either. But I just glossed over that part, and enjoyed the rest. My favorite number is the opening number with Judy rehearsing with her band in the club. The way they shoot that and the song itself is a straight up 5/5 for me.
Gave you it back

It's unfortunate but it was just too jarring, i was quite enjoying it up until then and that killed everything. You have to admit it comes at an important part in the story plus it reappears later. Was surprised to find out it was only 7 minutes, felt like at least 20 to me. Have been wanting to get into William Wellman so i'll be checking the 30's one out once i get back to 30's films, are you a fan of that?

Gave you it back

...Have been wanting to get into William Wellman so i'll be checking the 30's one out once i get back to 30's films, are you a fan of that?
I was just going to suggest that one to you. Yeah I do like the 30s version. I've only seen it once, but there's some memorable scenes in it.

1937s A Star Is Born is a solid fillum imo - glad you plan on watching it

Nocturama

The first 30-40 minutes of this were so unbelievably dull that i thought i was on my way to really despising this. Thankfully it picked up and became quite good but overall disappointing considering how much i loved House of Tolerance.

The Quiet Man

The sterotypes and machismo in this annoyed me, as well as certain parts of Wayne's character but it was gorgeous, entertaining and really funny. The last part was very surpising, even the Ford films i've loved i haven't found that funny but i laughed a bunch at this. The biggest laugh was probably Maureen O'Hara's slap being blocked by one hand. Looked so hilarious, she nearly swung herself off her feet and Wayne calmly stopped it by placing his hand by his cheek. It's said a lot that while Wayne wasn't the best actor he had presence and i definitely agree with that, he always looks alot bigger than he actually is somehow and is pretty intimidating. That worked here with him trying to avoid fights he is obviously capable of handling.

+

My Life As A Zucchini

Loved this. It's a stop motion claymation film with a very simple story of an orphanage. It was just really sweet and sad and touching and the animation was adorable, don't really know what else to say.

-

The Long Gray Line

The Irishness of the characters was more annoying in this than The Quiet Man. The Quiet Man was really silly at times it was basically farcical, while this had humour it was a lot more serious and sentimental which grated on me. Still an interesting and well made film.

Interstellar

Like i said in the tournament thread the first 40 minutes of this were excruciating. Horrific dialogue and McConnaughey didn't suit this role in the slightest, i love him but he was so jarring here. Definitely improved when they got to the base and while there was some other dumb stuff later in the film i think it was overall solid.

+

Wagon Master

Definitely didn't expect to be giving this a rating that high during the first 10-15 minutes. It started off pretty boring, it did have some excellent visuals though particularly shots of the wagon train moving. It got increasingly better and better, as soon as the Clegg's were introduced i think it became pretty incredible. I've rarely felt the good vs evil motif so hard as these god fearing mormons are just trying to reach their destination before encountering a dangerous group of bandits, don't know who any of the actors are but all of the Clegg's were really great. I also love that it felt like a proper journey in that there wasn't any big life changing events for the characters, like it hinted at a big romance blooming a few times but this journey wasn't long enough for that relationship to truly develop so they didn't see it through, it was all so well handled and perfectly paced. Beautiful film.

Leviathan

Think this is the sort of movie you'd have to see in the cinema for it to fully work. Some of it was mesmerising, some of it bored me to tears. Interesting film but it didn't do much for me.

Equinox Flower

Ozu's films are just so gosh darn pleasant, even when there's animosity and unlikeable characters like Wataru it's still all so nice to watch. The cliche line for Ozu is "every shot is a painting" but it's absolutely true and i felt it more here than i did in Tokyo Story or Woman of Tokyo. Most likely because it's the first colour film of his i've watched that made it all the more striking and also while i've still watched practically nothing from him i'm starting to get used to his style. The barely moving camera and shots from below really captures every single moment, characters don't move around a lot if they move it's often transitioning into the next shot so pretty much every shot is interesting and most are beautiful. Shin Saburi was really great he reminded me of Toshiro Mifune in High and Low if he had been sedated haha, he actually shouted once or twice! felt pretty jarring in a good way as it threw off the calm atmosphere, there was also the wife listening to hilarious music (hilarious because it was actually pretty fast and loud unlike the grand score that really went with every scene) that was basically an early Japanese precursor to heavy metal haha. His character was an a-hole and i don't find his turn endearing at all to be honest, it's annoying more than anything that this stubborn shthead deciding to do the right thing eventually makes these women he was a dick to feel so grateful to him as if he made some grand sacrifice, great performance though. The thing that holds the rating back is Ineko Arima she was really horrendous. She didn't sell a single emotion or line of dialogue to me, i found her ridiculous, wish her characters namesake played the role or even the actress that played the niece. Thankfully despite her importance to the story she wasn't in it that often.

-

movies can be okay...
Leviathan

Think this is the sort of movie you'd have to see in the cinema for it to fully work. Some of it was mesmerising, some of it bored me to tears. Interesting film but it didn't do much for me.

The picture you used has made me interested.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

I need to make a point to dive deeper into Fassbinder's filmography. I've seen five from him so far (ranked from favorite to least favorite: World on a Wire; Ali: Fear Eats the Soul; The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant; Love is Colder than Death; Beware of a Holy Whore). He's a fascinating filmmaker, and In a Year with 13 Moons sounds especially worthwhile.

I was hoping to see Ravenous for the Directed by Women countdown, and I think I'd like it a lot, but it doesn't look like I'm going to get around to it in time. I remember noticing it on Netflix awhile back, but apparently it's not on there anymore. Victoria is on my watchlist just because I'm curious about the one-take thing, but I've doubted its ability to maintain my interest for 140 minutes.

I have high hopes for The Quiet Man whenever I finally get around to watching it. I've got Wagon Master set to record soon. Your five-star rating just raised my expectations. I don't know why I still haven't seen Interstellar. Added BPM to my watchlist.

I need to make a point to dive deeper into Fassbinder's filmography. I've seen five from him so far (ranked from favorite to least favorite: World on a Wire; Ali: Fear Eats the Soul; The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant; Love is Colder than Death; Beware of a Holy Whore). He's a fascinating filmmaker, and In a Year with 13 Moons sounds especially worthwhile.
Might watch World On A Wire next from him, looks really good it's only the length that's holding me back. Looking forward to your thoughts on In a Year with 13 Moons.

Victoria is on my watchlist just because I'm curious about the one-take thing, but I've doubted its ability to maintain my interest for 140 minutes.
I actually think you'd dig it. It's got great atmosphere and ends up pretty exciting, think it does a good job keeping the tempo up.

Added BPM to my watchlist.
Think BPM has quite a few flaws, it's pretty messy. It came at the right time for me more than anything as i had been reading about the HIV Crisis and also i had just watched Silverlake Life about a week earlier.

Thanks for checking in as always mate.

Bummer you didn't like Anatolia more, I really need to watch it again. I think Winter's Sleep is even better if you haven't seen that one.

movies can be okay...
Agreed. "Three Monkeys" is another favourite of mine, from Ceylan. I also think it's his best one to start with, instead of his other features.

Bummer you didn't like Anatolia more, I really need to watch it again. I think Winter's Sleep is even better if you haven't seen that one.
I thought it was fine, just didn't feel strongly about any of it. Will be seeing Winter Sleep soon.

Sweet that you liked Annihilation. It's got a real shot at staying near the top for me this year I would assume.
I've not long finished it, still digesting it so i'm not totally confident in that rating. I think it had problems: some of the dialogue was horrible, the side characters were pretty weak and i didn't like most of the flashbacks:
WARNING: "Annihilation" spoilers below
the affair
scenes especially, but i did have a good time watching it, it's a beautiful film.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I've not long finished it, still digesting it so i'm not totally confident in that rating. I think it had problems: some of the dialogue was horrible, the side characters were pretty weak and i didn't like most of the flashbacks:
WARNING: "Annihilation" spoilers below
the affair
scenes especially, but i did have a good time watching it, it's a beautiful film.
Yeah there's a lot to digest. A second watch is something I look forward to on Blu Ray.

Think that's definitely its strength over Ex Machina, it will be more rewarding on rewatches. Don't feel like i need to see Ex Machina again. Not sure what one i prefer right now though.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Think that's definitely its strength over Ex Machina, it will be more rewarding on rewatches. Don't feel like i need to see Ex Machina again. Not sure what one i prefer right now though.
I still have to see Ex Machina. I feel like it has a lot to live up to, be that good or not.