Connor Macgregor Reviews Thread

→ in
Tools    

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Creed

INTRO: Creed is the Rocky Balboa franchise reborn from the ashes, like a phoenix breathing fresh life again. That's how I feel about this film, and walking out of the cinema gave me the excitement and optimism that I long loved in the Rocky films all over again.

SUMMARY: Adonis Johnson is the son of the famous boxing champion Apollo Creed, who died in a boxing match in Rocky IV (1985). Adonis wasn't born until after his father's death and wants to follow his fathers footsteps in boxing. He seeks a mentor who is the former heavyweight boxing champion and former friend of Apollo Creed, the retired Rocky Balboa. Rocky eventually agrees to mentor Adonis. With Rocky's help they hope to get a title job to face even deadlier opponents than his father. But whether he is a true fighter remains to be seen....

THE CAST: The film's main strength here is its cast. Michael B Jordan is such a clever and fun actor to watch. Taking on the role of Adonis allows him to connect with the previous material from Rocky, as well as establish his own role and continuity for a new generation with a fresh character. Sylvester Stallone returns as Rocky and is great as usual, taking on a supporting role now that his character arc has concluded. His cancer story is tough to sit through at points, but still engaging and crucial to the story. Then of course is Tessa Thompson playing Bianca. I really like Tessa Thompson as an actress. Fresh, mysterious and cheeky all the same. Here, she's a very mystic character of sorts. Being the emotional support that Adonis has long chased after, but never got. It's a nice and rewarding relationship to watch, and one with great chemistry.

THE TONE: Another thing I like about Creed is its homage to the first Rocky film through setting. It very much feels like the spiritual sequel to Rocky as opposed to the other Rocky sequels before hand. In terms of Gritty setting, tone, and the film's passionate enthusiasm to overcome the odds and stand on top of the mountain. The fight scenes are shot well, and make you feel like you're actually in the ring this time.

OVERALL: Creed is what Rocky Balboa should’ve been. It’s a film that recaptures the grit, desire and passion that the first Rocky film harnessed so beautifully. With a powerful and exciting cast, and a story that lures you in so similarly to the first Rocky film, Creed deserves the praise as being a spiritual successor to Rocky himself.

RATING: 85% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Captain America: The First Avenger

INTRO: With Infinity War not long coming, I felt that I should cover as many Marvel films left on the list, and give you a good idea of where all the Marvel Cinematic Universe films rank in my head. Now, its time for Captain America's turn in the spotlight.

SUMMARY: It is 1942, America has entered World War II, and sickly but determined Steve Rogers is frustrated at being rejected yet again for military service. Everything changes when Dr. Erskine recruits him for the secret Project Rebirth. Proving his extraordinary courage, wits and conscience, Rogers undergoes the experiment and his weak body is suddenly enhanced into the maximum human potential. When Dr. Erskine is then immediately assassinated by an agent of Nazi Germany's secret HYDRA research department (headed by Johann Schmidt, a.k.a. the Red Skull), Rogers is left as a unique man who is initially misused as a propaganda mascot; however, when his comrades need him, Rogers goes on a successful adventure that truly makes him Captain America, and his war against Schmidt begins.

THE GOOD: Visually, the film is lovely to look at. I love the Atompunk style that they set up with the 40s, and really gives you the feeling that you are actually in that period. The performances are also good too, especially from the likes of Chris Evans & Hayley Atwell.

THE BAD: There are times where the dialogue is slightly "off" for me. I don't think it quite gels as well as other MCU films, and it lacks any larger than life characters to really give the film that extra juice and excitement. The action sequences save the film, but the dialogue here just isn't as strong.

OVERALL: Despite not being a Captain America fan, I did enjoy the film none the less. While not perfect, the war setting and origin story is entertaining to engage in. It’s a film that sets up a true Comic Book legend for films to come.

RATING: 81% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...120 BPM (London Film Festival)

INTRO: Winner of 6 Cesar Awards including Best Film, 120 BPM is a very informative film that opens up on a chapter of French History not often talked about as much as in other countries.

SUMMARY: Early 1990s. With AIDS having already claimed countless lives for nearly ten years, Act up-Paris activists multiply actions to fight general indifference. Nathan, a newcomer to the group, has his world shaken up by Sean, a radical militant, who throws his last bits of strength into the struggle.

THE GOOD: I really enjoyed the history lesson attached to this film. It was great to learn more about the AIDS crisis in France and the activism towards it which was much more passionate and daring than in other countries. The central performances in this film are great, in particular from Nahuel Pérez Biscayart and Arnaud Valois who are both beautiful to watch. The film is also very gritty and brutal when depicting the virus in its ugly form. The film's ending is tough to watch, but still important.

THE BAD: The only real criticism is the lack of Adele Haenel in the film. She's a great actress and one who doesn't get as much screentime in the film than I wished. I would've liked more, more story from her, more moments from her.

OVERALL: 120 BPM is a strong, informative film about a period in French history many may be ashamed of. With strong central performances, its hard, tough, and stomach churning in a way that makes you feel glad you sat through it. My only complaint is a lack of Adele Haenel.

RATING: 71% - B+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Thelma

INTRO: For the Foreign Hall Of Fame game on this fourm site, It's required that I view all nominated films as part of the process. Having already reviewed four, I now begin to review the one's I haven't seen. Starting with Thelma

SUMMARY: A confused religious girl tries to deny her feelings for a female friend who's in love with her. This causes her suppressed subconsciously-controlled psychokinetic powers to reemerge with devastating results.

THE GOOD: There's a lot to like about Thelma. The fact that its use of genre and narrative is very fresh and exciting to watch. The central character Thelma, played by Eili Harboe is a great find, wonderfully conflicted between her family and her natural curiosity for life outside her parent's grasp. I love the relationship between fellow student Anja, played by Kaya Wilkins, who are just lovely to watch together. I like the supernatural theme to it, and how the powers are just very abrupt and uncontrollable. There's a great mysterious feel to it as more layers are revealed throughout the story.

THE ENDING: Without spoiling anything, I found the ending a bit too preachy for my tastes. Slightly I rolled my eyes at its message and found it all to neatly wrapped up. It wasn't too my taste, especially since the tone of the film was so bleak and mysterious throughout the duration of the story.

OVERALL: Thelma is a great watch, with some great ideas and performances all around. I love the story, the acting, and some of the cinematography is good too. A real recommendation if you want something new and interesting.

RATING: 91% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Captain America: The Winter Soldier

INTRO: The second of the Captain America trilogy is the one that receives the most praise and acclaim, but I won't let that distract me from my own review.

SUMMARY: As Steve Rogers struggles to embrace his role in the modern world, he teams up with a fellow Avenger and S.H.I.E.L.D agent, Black Widow, to battle a new threat from history: an assassin known as the Winter Soldier.

THE GOOD: For a film set in a wide cinematic universe, it feels more like a tense action thriller if anything else. The camerawork, stunt coordination, combat on screen, and the political undertones attached. Let's face it: It's The Bourne Identity with armour. I felt the performances were good enough, and Chris Evans is easily the star of the film, but not memorable to warrant acclaim for future decades. The Action sequences in this film are breathtaking, having you attached to the edge of your seat, and really wowed by the stunt work, wire work, combat skills and choreography that goes into this.

THE BAD: I honestly felt there wasn't much superhero in this, and if you like superhero movies, Captain America lacks a lot of that. He's heroic and very righteous but lacks a good power set to stand out as a superhero. I felt put off at points, but that's just me.

OVERALL: Captain America: The Winter Soldier introduces a height of realism and danger into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The Action sequences are fast and frightening, the thrilling plot edgy and daring, and the sense of adjustment overwhelming for Captain America. It’s a film that superbly stands out in the MCU series.

RATING: 93% - A

Connor Macgregor reviews...The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty

INTRO: This is a film I always liked the look of, but always never got round to watching. Until now, as Ben Stiller goes on a personal journey that will change his life forever.

SUMMARY: When his job along with that of his co-worker are threatened, Walter takes action in the real world embarking on a global journey that turns into an adventure more extraordinary than anything he could have ever imagined.

BEN STILLER: Ben Stiller stars and directs a story that is such a joy to watch from beginning to end. His performance is perfect, as well as his direction in which I believe him to be a very underrated director working in Hollywood. I love the struggle Walter goes through, as well as the new relationships he builds along the way.

THE TONE: This film is very much magical as well as adventurous in its storytelling, letting us travel with Walter to all these magical places around the world. Its one of those films that places Earth as such a glorious planet that will get any keen traveller giddy. Its theme are about celebrating life, the beauty of life and its surroundings, as well as the importance of experiences. Something that can be acted upon by anyone who has the bravery to do it.

OVERALL: The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty is a great film to enjoy over and over. With great imagery and an adventurous feel, its a story about chasing your desire, having an adventure, and seeing Life in a whole new way. A worthwhile film to see.

RATING: 86% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Captain America: Civil War

INTRO: This really is the film that changes the stakes in the MCU. Battle lines are drawn, loyalty tested, all that stuff and mirrors. It's undoubtedly the most popular MCU film so far, and it doesn't disappoint.

SUMMARY: With many people fearing the actions of super heroes, the government decides to push for the Hero Registration Act, a law that limits a hero's actions. This results in a division in The Avengers. Iron Man stands with this Act, claiming that their actions must be kept in check otherwise cities will continue to be destroyed, but Captain America feels that saving the world is daring enough and that they cannot rely on the government to protect the world. This escalates into an all-out war between Team Iron Man (Iron Man, Black Panther, Vision, Black Widow, War Machine, and Spider-Man) and Team Captain America (Captain America, Bucky Barnes, Falcon, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, and Ant Man) while a new villain emerges.

CHARACTERS: What makes Civil War a bit more special is the amount of the characters featured in the story. A mixture of old and new characters play a crucial role in the story and gives Civil War that special experience that most other MCU films lack. Character stand outs include Captain America, Iron Man, as well as the debuts of Spiderman & Black Panther who are served to cater to the future of the universe. You see romances develop with Vision & Scarlet Witch, as well as the breakdown of various friendships too.

STORY: This film is very much Captain America's story, with everyone else in orbit. Its both complex and unique in its storytelling approach, and has a narrative that is both surprising and fun to watch. The villain's motives are understandable, the character's perspective fitting with their personalities, and circumstances spiral out of control that feel fitting with the sense of the world.

AIRPORT BATTLE: The memorable sequence in this film is the airport battle 2/3s of the way through. It's such an entertaining sequence and one that never gets boring. Ant Man comes out the best in the battle, and takes the character to a new level of abilities. Spiderman and Black Panther also come off well, providing new powers and faces to the MCU. It's poor Iron Man that gets shafted in the fight. But overall, its one of the best battles in recent cinema.

OVERALL: Captain America: Civil War delivers and continues to keep the momentum of the Marvel Cinematic Universe afloat. With strong performances from Chris Evans & Robert Downey Jr, this film takes a grimer turn in the Marvel world, and adds more complexity to the characters. It’s a film that will have you on one side or the other.

RATING: 100% - A+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Spiderman: Homecoming

INTRO: Spiderman Homecoming was the beautiful reunion of Sony & Marvel to facilitate Spiderman back into the MCU fold, and bring the character into a new surrounding. Spiderman Homecoming gives Spiderman its third reboot in modern cinema, and with that, the third actor to take on the role...another Brit!

SUMMARY: Peter Parker is exploring the concept of becoming an Avenger. Tony Stark tries to help Peter, but he does not have total faith in Spider-Man to become a hero. And so Peter Parker, aka Spider-Man sets off to prove he is worthy to become an Avenger!

FUN: What makes this Spiderman so different from the others is how fun the film is. How relaxed it is of itself, and how the smaller scenes are the most memorable in the film. The teen-focused is a great new move on keeping Spidey fresh, and it allows Peter Parker to be fleshed out more in his younger years.

THE CAST: This is one of the best casts in the MCU. Each actor, big or small, plays their part to perfection. Tom Holland is a great Peter Parker, and his fellow teen group are also great. Zendaya takes the MJ character and gives it a real nice twist, something you're not really expecting. Michael Keaton plays the villain The Vulture, and he provides some nice surprises throughout the film that you don't see coming.

OVERALL: Spiderman Homecoming is a whole new approach to the Spidey films, with a more teen focused than in previous films. The cast is fun and diverse, the action sequences great as always, and the whole film has a more relaxed, fun approach than in previous films. It’s a nice gem in a universe continuing to define itself.

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Insomnia

INTRO: Christopher Nolan has built a high repertoire of cinema in his time as a filmmaker. But this entry is arguably his weakest entry, and one that compared to his other work just isn't on the same level as say The Dark Knight or Interstellar.

SUMMARY: Sent from the city to investigate the murder of a teenage girl in a small Alaska town, a police detective (Pacino) accidentally shoots his own partner while trying to apprehend a suspect. Instead of admitting his guilt, the detective is given an unexpected alibi, but this "solution" only multiplies the emotional complexity and guilt over his partner's death. He's also still got a murder to solve, in addition to the blackmail and framing of an innocent bystander being orchestrated by the man they were chasing. There's also a local detective (Swank) who is conducting her own personal investigation... of his partner's death. Will it all come crashing down on him?

THE GOOD: I think this film contains a really strong cast. Al Pacino, Robin Williams & Hilary Swank are the main draws, and all three add something unique to the story. It's hard to say who stands out, but they all deliver a solid performance none the less. The setting is also good too. The idea of solving a crime in the remote wilderness is always appealing.

THE BAD: The real weakness of this isn't so much the film itself, but all the other work that Nolan has done prior and after this film. Nolan didn't write the screenplay to this, and it shows as his writing is much sharper & stronger when he writes & directs. I don't think the pace is as good, as well as perhaps the emotional and story impact the film tries to deliver.

OVERALL: Insomnia is not one of Christopher Nolan’s greatest films. For what it is, it's more soft and slower than his other work, but does contain strong performances and a great Nordic setting. But his best work was yet to come.

RATING: 81% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews…The Room

INTRO: I’ve been mentally preparing for The Room for a long time and finally I sit down to watch just to see how wonderfully bad it really is…only you take out the wonderfully part…and it’s just bad.

SUMMARY: Johnny is a successful banker who lives happily in a San Francisco townhouse with his fiancée, Lisa. One day, inexplicably, she gets bored with him and decides to seduce his best friend, Mark. From there, nothing will be the same again.

BAD SCRIPT: We can focus on big two **** stains here, and to start with the script feels fitting. The writing for this film is horrid. Dodgy, clunky lines that feel flat and unorignal when reading on the paper. They don’t make the story very dramatic, and feels like something a creative writing class could do a hell of a lot better with if given the chance.

BAD ACTING: I also must talk about how low the acting is in this film. And not just Wisseu, although he plays a huge part in its downfall. Everyone really is bad in this film. Not just the pointless one-off roles, but the main players too. Tommy Wisseu really is **** in this. He can’t act even basic emotion or delivery of dialogue. I can’t really say if anyone is a highlight, but if they are, it’s not for the best intentions. Trust me.

JUST…THE OVERALL BADNESS: The Room is without a doubt one of the worst films I’ve ever seen. I get that everyone loves that its so bad its good, but I fail to see the good. I just see bad and bad that doesn’t make me feel good about the 90+ minutes I spent watching this film. I’m glad its managed to find a cult following, but sadly I won’t be joining that freight train anytime soon. It’s just a stinker in my eyes.

RATING: 10% - D

Connor Macgregor Reviews…Moonlight

INTRO: Moonlight was a film that really struck a chord with audiences and is one of those rare films that story wise, is in its own field. A LGBT coming of age story with a black cast. Quite something, which is sad to say in present day cinema. But take away the politics, and you have yourself quite a beautiful piece of filmmaking from a filmmaker who has a lot to offer to cinema.

SUMMARY: Three time periods - young adolescence, mid-teen and young adult - in the life of black-American Chiron is presented. When a child, Chiron lives with his single, crack addict mother Paula in a crime ridden neighborhood in Miami. Chiron is a shy, withdrawn child largely due to his small size and being neglected by his mother, who is more concerned about getting her fixes and satisfying her carnal needs than taking care of him. Because of these issues, Chiron is bullied, the slurs hurled at him which he doesn't understand beyond knowing that they are meant to be hurtful. Besides his same aged Cuban-American friend Kevin, Chiron is given what little guidance he has in life from a neighborhood drug dealer named Juan, who can see that he is neglected, and Juan's caring girlfriend Teresa, whose home acts as a sanctuary away from the bullies and away from Paula's abuse. With this childhood as a foundation, Chiron may have a predetermined path in life, one that will only be magnified in terms of its problems when he reaches his difficult teen years when peer pressure affects what he and many of his peers do, unless he follows Juan's advice of truly making his own decisions for himself.

CENTRAL CHARACTER: So unique about Moonlight is its central character Chiron, who evolves throughout the film and is played by three different actors, all with their own unique identity to them. He has a different name in each act, and each act represents a different moment in his life and how he expresses himself. I loved his arc. It’s filled with emotion and turmoil, but leaves you with a glimmar of hope at the end. The idea of something better on the horizon.

PERFORMANCES: In general, the performances in this film are tremendous. Mahershala Ali in particular is wonderful, even if his role is brief. Janelle Manoe also deserves notice as a sort of surrogate mother towards Chiron early in the story. I loved how loving and caring she was to him, without being so much of a pushover. Of course Naomie Harris deserves a mention as she is wonderfully damaged in the role of Chiron’s mother, neglectful and messed up.

CINEMATOGRAPHY: Another thing so unique about Moonlight is its cinematography. The camerawork here is delicate and beautiful, giving a setting which is quite dreary and unappealing, a more polished and paradisial feeling to it. James Laxton’s cinematography is great. I love the use of colour and lighting especially in the film’s third act, as well as the way he uses the camera through water. Like a floating spirit gazing down among the humans.

OVERALL: Moonlight is a film with purpose and power. It contains a strong and complex central character that audiences can relate to and sympathise with, as well as a strong variety of performances to enjoy, and cinematography to feast on. A truly worthy Best Picture Winner.

RATING: 86% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews…The Nice Guys

INTRO: Not a film I expected to go see. But never the less, I did. And I came out very surprised as I usually do with films I have low expectations for. But The Nice Guys really was good. Very classic. Very old school.

SUMMARY: Set against the backdrop of 1977 Los Angeles, The Nice Guys opens when single father and licensed PI Holland March (Gosling) is hired to investigate the apparent suicide of famous porn star Misty Mountains. As the trail leads him to track down a girl named Amelia (Qualley), he encounters less licensed and less hands-off private eye Jackson Healey (Russell Crowe) and his brass knuckles, both hired by the young hippie. However, the situation takes a turn for the worse when Amelia vanishes and it becomes apparent that March wasn't the only party interested. As both men are forced to team up, they'll have to take on a world filled with eccentric goons, strippers dressed as mermaids and even a possible government conspiracy.

RUSSELL CROWE & RYAN GOSLING: The key takeaway with this film is the two leads. Both Gosling & Crowe are great with each other. Their comedy is top notch and carries the film all the way to the end. Gosling for me is more funny, where as Crowe plays the straight man. I really enjoyed their chemistry and I felt they really made the film come to life.

ANGOURIE RICE: The major star turn also was Angourie Rice who plays Gosling’s daughter in the film. She held her own, and certainly did a performance that will earn her future work down the long run. I thought she was natural, intelligent, and very enjoyable to watch. Her best friend also had some nice moments too.

OVERALL: I liked The Nice Guys alot. I thought Shane Black directed a great future cult classic here, and I’m all happy with what was given to me. I liked the use of genre, comedic performances, and something a little different and nice to what was a cluster of superhero and franchise films at the same time.

RATING: 94% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Call Me By Your Name

INTRO: Everyone was raving about Call Me By Your Name before I watched it. The acclaim, the accolades, the sheer buzz around this film was intense. So when finally watching it, I had high expectations, and they were met pretty comfortably.

SUMMARY: In early-1980s northern Italy, amid the lush Mediterranean landscapes of a serene and golden summer, 17-year-old, Elio, visits the family's summer villa to spend his vacation with his father and Greco-Roman culture professor, Mr Perlman, his translator mother, Annella, and the American doctoral student who works there as an intern, Oliver. But, little by little, over the course of six fleeting weeks, a timid friendship between Elio and Oliver will prepare the ground for an unexpected bond, as the unexplored emotions of first love start boiling over. Could this sun-kissed romance in Lombardy be the prelude to maturity?

THE CAST: You have such a strong cast in this film. We'll begin with Timothee Chalamet who is very much the lead, and like Jennifer Lawrence in 2010, becomes a major star because of this film. His childlike innocence compared that with his growth into adulthood is captured perfectly in this film. It's very much a perfect coming of age film. Arnie Hammer is also great in the film, playing an older, cocky, yet confident male that is easily attractive both physically and personality wise. Their characters, Elio & Oliver make a beautiful couple as a result. This is also the film I discovered Esther Garrel, who is brilliant as Elio's sort of girlfriend Marzia, a young woman also growing up, and also confused in her own way. There's also the wonderful Michael Stuhlberg who plays Elio's father who is arguably one of cinema's greatest dads even if he doesn't really do much in the film.

SETTING: What makes CMBYN such a special film is its setting. It's arguably paradise like nothing else on earth. The house, the weather, the trees, the picturesque small sleepy town, you can almost feel the heat breaking through the screen, the water falling down your skin. The film's sensual power is untouched like nothing else in cinematic history. I've never felt like that before with a film, ever. Add the beautiful music by Sufjan Stevens (Mystery Of Love I can't stop playing) and you have a film that goes almost beyond a film in its connection with the viewer.

OVERALL: Call Me By Your Name is the type of film you watch to relax yourself with after a long hard day’s work. It’s LGBT theme is simple and effective, portraying itself as a love story first more than anything else. Absorbing and delightful, it’s a film that will leave an impression on you for a very long time.

RATING: 99% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Black Panther

INTRO: Black Panther was a film that really took the states, and somewhat to an extent, the world by storm. It's a film that really took the MCU to a new level and maybe perhaps a stepping stone for diversity in American cinema. But is it any good?

SUMMARY: After the events of Captain America: Civil War, King T'Challa returns home to the reclusive, technologically advanced African nation of Wakanda to serve as his country's new leader. However, T'Challa soon finds that he is challenged for the throne from factions within his own country. When two foes conspire to destroy Wakanda, the hero known as Black Panther must team up with C.I.A. agent Everett K. Ross and members of the Dora Milaje, Wakandan special forces, to prevent Wakanda from being dragged into a world war.

THE GOOD: We'll start with the setting which is just wonderful. Wakanda is rich with personality and full of fantastic designs. Afrofuturism is alight in this story and the crew behind Black Panther really did create a unique and fascinating world in the MCU that stands on par with Asgard and The Marvel Cosmic Universe. Also, of course, are the characters who are great to watch. King T'Challa played by Chadwick Bosman is both charismatic and anxious in his own way. Letitia Wright is terrific as T'Challa's sister Shuri and holds her own against bigger heavyweights in the story. Finally, there is Danai Gurira plays Okoye, who is arguably the breakout star of the film due to being a very original and unique character.

THE BAD: My only weak spot was the villain of all things. Don't get me wrong, Michael B Jordan is good as Killmonger. But I found the character a bit too grey for my taste. Ryan Coogler tries a bit too hard to make him sympathetic for the audience, whereas I didn't buy it at all and found that tactic kind of cheap in many ways. I wasn't won over, but the performance itself was strong.

OVERALL: Black Panther cuts itself above plenty of other entries in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. With a unique and fascinating world, as well as impactful and strong performances, It’s a film that makes the Marvel Cinematic Universe more diverse, more powerful, and more sensational than ever before.

RATING: 92% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Dear Zindagi

INTRO: This is the first Bollywood film I've seen in my life. I've always been intrigued in what has been going on in a country so infamous with its own unique style of cinema. Alia Bhatt was the draw for me as I find her such a beautiful young actress and hopefully one that crosses over to the UK or US. But either way, on with the film.

SUMMARY: This is the story of Kaira, a budding cinematographer in search of perfect life. A chance encounter with Jug, an unconventional thinker, helps her gain new perspective about life. She discovers that happiness is all about finding comfort in life's imperfections.

THE GOOD: The central leads of Alia Bhatt & Shah Rukh Khan have a great connection with each other, and compliment each other's performances well. Shah Rukh Khan is trustworthy, wise and patient in this film, helping untangle the issues and strains that have plagued Alia Bhatt's character for so long. I love the location of Goa. What a discovery. As someone unfamiliar with India and its landscape, Goa looks like such a beautiful place to visit. It accompanies the spirituality that the second half of the film plays up to and the way its shot is well done too. The Music also is very good as I was expecting it to be. I've saved one or two songs on my Spotify account, so you know its done its job.

THE BAD: My only complaint was the running time. There were one or two moments that would've been perfect bookend points for the film, but instead kept going a little while longer. It got a little irritating, but that was about it.

OVERALL: Dear Zindagi is a great introduction to Bollywood cinema. It matches India's personality quite well, and highlights two of Bollywood's biggest talents in safe, light hearted roles and a comfortable film to watch.

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Avengers: Infinity War

INTRO: There was an idea...to bring together a group of remarkable actors...to see if they could make cinema something more...so when Hollywood needed us, we could rake in the cash...that other studios never could!

SUMMARY: As the Avengers and their allies have continued to protect the world from threats too large for any one hero to handle, a new danger has emerged from the cosmic shadows: Thanos. A despot of intergalactic infamy, his goal is to collect all six Infinity Stones, artifacts of unimaginable power, and use them to inflict his twisted will on all of reality. Everything the Avengers have fought for has led up to this moment - the fate of Earth and existence itself has never been more uncertain.

THE GOOD: The hype of this film was huge, and for the most part The Russos delivered, making a smashing spectacle of action and tension. The action first of all is great. Not the best ever in cinema, but entertaining and fun enough to warrant the picture. The Crossover of characters is intense and makes you feel like you're watching event cinema at its finest. A wide variety of characters all playing their role in creating a rich cinematic universe at its prime. Then of course is Thanos, the star of the film, As I pointed out, I had trouble with Black Panther's villain because he was too sympathetic and subtly political. Despite Thanos being very similar, I just adored the character. Why? Because his sadistic and psychopathic nature shines through more so than Killmonger did, and his obsession with collecting and infusing the Infinity Stones together and destroying everything in its way is thrilling to watch.

THE BAD: My only nitpic is the cinematography. It's a bit too dark for my taste and was slightly distracting, especially at the beginning. Also, witn the amount of crossover in this film, certain characters don't get enough screentime so Black Widow, Falcon, War Machine are left very much sidelined with little dialogue in the whole thing.

OVERALL: Avengers Infinity War is fun action modern day cinema at its best. All spectacle and CGI in your face, with a rich story for desert. Enjoy at your pleasure.

RATING: 94% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Frances Ha

INTRO: I went in with low expectations for this film, not really thinking much about it or looking into the background in many ways. But man was I surprised. Really, really surprised.

SUMMARY: Frances lives in New York, but she doesn't really have an apartment. Frances is an apprentice for a dance company, but she's not really a dancer. Frances has a best friend named Sophie, but they aren't really speaking anymore. Frances throws herself headlong into her dreams, even as their possible reality dwindles. Frances wants so much more than she has but lives her life with unaccountable joy and lightness.

GRETA GERWIG: By far the main draw of this film is Greta Gerwig who plays Frances. She's a real, ditzy, quirky filled character with lots of personality and a happy go lucky attitude to life. While she might not be everyone's cup of tea, I found the character lovely to watch. She's not perfect, her life is very disorganised, and she really struggles to establish a social circle outside her best friend Sophie. Yet the character is positive, a go-getter, someone who never gives in to the sadness and melancholy of life. Greta Gerwig's performance is great, and very memorable.

PERSONALITY: Something also very important to talk about is the film's personality as a whole. The choice to go Black & White was brave, but also fitting. I couldn't imagine seeing this film in colour and it having the same effect on me when watching it again. The choice of music is fun and funky. I've never heard of David Bowie's Modern Love, so that was a fun listen to have in this film. I love the way the film is shot too, harking back memories of Woody Allen's Manhatten in a lot of ways. Strangely, I also really enjoyed the way the film was paced. It was natural, not forced, yet you had the idea that a lot of time had passed in such a small running time. Finally, there's the themes too. The fracturing of a friendship; New experiences; Living in New York. A lot of these are relatable and can be felt by many who've watched the film before.

OVERALL: Frances Ha is just a wild, fun, yet poignant film in many ways. It deals with friendship and surviving in an expensive and brutal city like New York, with collective and quirky performances from all side. Definite underrated gem.

RATING: 100% - A+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Benny's Video

INTRO: I've never watched a Michael Haneke film before so this is really my first forray into his work. It kind of makes sense to start with one of his early pieces, but I have to say, I was slightly let down here.

SUMMARY: A 14-year-old video enthusiast is so caught up in film fantasy that he can no longer relate to the real world, to such an extent that he commits murder and records an on-camera confession for his parents.

THE GOOD: I think the film has an interesting idea. The main protagonist is one you definitely can have a conversation about as to whether or not he is a psychopath, autistic, or badly brought up. The performance is fine, but not remarkable. I found it a very interesting dilemma. I liked the nostalgia of videos again, which is something you can easily identify with the 90s.

THE BAD: I found the film a bit too long, and slightly boring at points. I get Haneke is artier than most other filmmakers, but a bit more narrative and conflict wouldn't have hurt the film at all. The parents are odd. They hide this murder and don't really react like any other parents would. It's all very strange to watch. The conversation they have after finding out about the murder just goes on and on and on, and you get very bored very quickly. The film also lacks emotion too. None of the characters really react to anything. No cue of emotion, no shock to what these people have done. It's just very bland and weird again.

OVERALL: Benny's Video has good ideas, but a flawed execution overall. I think this is a film that will interest some and bore many others.

RATING: 71% - B+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Raazi

INTRO: This is the first time I've been to the cinema to see a Bollywood film. I'm not gonna lie, but I think I was the only white guy in the screen. And it was packed. And there were children there. Like toddlers seeing a film with this subject matter. Very different cinema experience to what I had before.

SUMMARY: Raazi is a 2018 period-thriller film directed by Meghna Gulzar, starring Alia Bhatt and Vicky Kaushal in lead roles. The story revolves around an Indian spy married to a Pakistani man during the Indo-Pakistan War of 1971.

THE GOOD: I'll start with the obvious: Alia Bhatt owns this film. As the star, she delivers all the fear, conflict, and espionage needed for this role. It's a sensitive subject matter, and a true story also. And she's absolutely terrific in this. Really nails the role and is very much the centre of the story. I also found the political themes very interesting. I'm not an expert on this war and conflict, but I know it still sort of has ripples today. It's very interesting and really quite fascinating at the same time.

THE BAD: The music in this was very distracting. If you don't know, Bollywood tend to put songs in most of their ones. And with this, it just didn't fit. It took me out of the film almost, and that's never good.

OVERALL: Raazi is powerful and a dramatic treat for cinemagoers. Alia Bhatt creates an award-winning performance and it's a true highlight of the year.

RATING: 92% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Tomb Raider

INTRO: I wasn't really that excited about it, but the trailer just won me over. I knew it wasn't going to be a masterpiece but I was hoping to be surprised.

SUMMARY: Lara Croft is the fiercely independent daughter of an eccentric adventurer who vanished when she was scarcely a teen. Now a young woman of 21 without any real focus or purpose, Lara navigates the chaotic streets of trendy East London as a bike courier, barely making the rent, and takes college courses, rarely making it to class. Determined to forge her own path, she refuses to take the reins of her father's global empire just as staunchly as she rejects the idea that he's truly gone. Advised to face the facts and move forward after seven years without him, even Lara can't understand what drives her to finally solve the puzzle of his mysterious death. Going explicitly against his final wishes, she leaves everything she knows behind in search of her dad's last-known destination: a fabled tomb on a mythical island that might be somewhere off the coast of Japan. But her mission will not be an easy one; just reaching the island will be extremely treacherous. Suddenly, the stakes couldn't be higher for Lara, who-against the odds and armed with only her sharp mind, blind faith and inherently stubborn spirit-must learn to push herself beyond her limits as she journeys into the unknown. If she survives this perilous adventure, it could be the making of her, earning her the name tomb raider.

THE GOOD: This is really the film that won me over to Alicia Vikander. Such a good actress. Beautiful, athletic, curious to watch. It took me a while, but I was won over here by her performance. She really captures the spirit of Lara Croft and works well with the iconic look made famous in the games. I also found the special effects in this film pretty good too. Especially when on the island and the sequence on the aeroplane.

THE BAD: Sadly the story of the film is very bland and unremarkable. You see all the twists and turns coming from a far and you don't really feel anything for the supporting cast. It's all very predictable. I for one would've liked more daring ideas thrown in. The only one that really did surprise me was the ending, and it all leads to a potential sequel, if it ever happens.

OVERALL: Tomb Raider is fun if you don't go in with high expectations. Some fun action, a good leading performance by Alicia Vikander, and overall a good fun time.

RATING: 66% - B