Ken Shamrock's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

The World's Most Dangerous Man
I will post my (short) reviews of different movies in this thread.

****************************************************************************************************

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
This movie is among the best movies I have ever seen. The acting is brilliant from everyone, but especially from Jack Nicholson, and I consider this to be the highlight of his career. The movie is seriously funny at times, but still manages to be very serious at other times, all while moving at a good pace that never feels slow or gets anywhere near boring. This is one of the few movies that I think almost everyone would agree on as being a timeless classic. It simply can't get much better than this. A clear 10, no doubt.
My rating: 10/10

12 Angry Men (1957)
This movie is among the few movies that manage to reach such extreme heights with such simple means. The majority of the movie takes place in one room and there is barely any physical action, but this is more than made up for by the acting and the dialogue, which are among the best in existence. The movie is intelligent, hypnotizing and unique. It didn't leave a strong enough emotional impression on me to give it a 10, as you can only go to certain limits with such simple methods, but the movie is without doubt a masterpiece that stands out among the crowd and justifies its reputation.
My rating: 9/10

Gran Torino (2008)
This is one of the movies that won't be among the first you think of when thinking back on a classic, but I can't imagine anyone walking away disappointed after seeing it. The movie has a lot of a heart and an interesting story and I can recommend it to anyone. It's a good movie and deserves a solid 8. It's not extraordinary enough to reach a 9, but it would certainly be criminal to rate it any lower than 8.
My rating: 8/10

All Things Fall Apart (2011)
Yeah, 50 Cent is not a good actor at all, but this movie was genuinely sad, had a very good story and if anything, it was entertaining. 50 Cent's dramatic weight loss, which he went through to play a cancer victim, was a remarkable feat and deserves a thumbs up. The movie is quite underrated, in my opinion. It won't get an 8, of course, but I simply can't see why some would rate it as low as 5 or 6? The acting is not very good, true, but come on, it's certainly not a bad movie in general and it certainly isn't boring.
My rating: 7/10

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk (2016)
People have bashed Billy Lynn a lot for its 120 fps, as opposed to the 24 fps standard. Personally, I liked the sharp look. I wouldn't want to see it in every movie, but this was really a visually beautiful movie that got it perfectly right. Sadly, the movie itself is kind of boring. No memorable characters, no excitement, no fun... I didn't really feel any emotion at all while watching it... Yet, the movie was so beautiful that I watched it until the end. It deserves a 6. A bit too boring to reach 7, but simply too pretty to go beneath 6.
My rating: 6/10

1968 Tunnel Rats (2008)
It has become some kind of childish trend to trash Uwe Boll and label him "the worst director ever", which he most certainly isn't. He's not good, true, but it could be far worse. Tunnel Rats, for example, is not exactly a "bad" movie. It's just not a good movie. It had some okay moments, some absolutely horrible moments (that boxing scene...!) and, most of all, it had completely average moments. It's generally just a completely average movie. Not good enough for a 6, not bad enough for a 4.
My rating: 5/10

Yakuza Apocalypse (2015)
It's rare that I dislike a movie as much as I disliked this one. Thinking back, I still can't believe that I watched through this thing... There is nothing good about it. The acting is bad, the special effects are bad, the humor is bad and I do certainly not recommend it to anyone. It's a stupid movie and one shouldn't feel bad about saying it.
My rating: 4/10

Apocalypse Now (1979)
This is the best war movie ever, in my opinion. The story is brilliant, the acting is brilliant and the movie never fails to keep your attention. You should always watch the Redux version, which is a longer and more complete experience, as you WILL desire as much of this movie as possible. General Kurtz is such a fascinating character, the journey of the main characters is almost hypnotic to follow and the war scenes are just spectacular. There is nothing bad to say about this movie and it is one of my absolute favourites. Certainly a 10.
My rating: 10/10

The Shining (1980)
*text coming soon*
My rating: -/10

****************************************************************************************************

The World's Most Dangerous Man
Should be called The World's Most Dangerous Reviews.

I like your write ups. The high framerate experiment makes me interested in Billy Lynn.
Thanks And yeah, that would be a fitting title, lol.

As I said, Billy Lynn is a bit boring, but I definetely think everyone should check it out to experience its interesting visuals. Be sure to see it in as good quality as possible. The looks here are the primary reason to watch the movie.