Game of Thrones: Season 4

Tools    

For the first time I'm kind of down with a show changing the story, Arya and Brienne seemed completely organic and served both characters arcs. Whether there'll be any butterfly effect, yet to see. Also, the strength of that scene and necessity to finish their paths is the only saving grace for yet again excluding. ****spoiler***** LS. Do wonder if we'll see her but if it was this episode may have felt too forced. Though I'd have been chuffed if they kept book epilogue, would have been a lot stronger and return to 1 and 2s thematic finishes.

Stannis was cool but his arrival didn't have the same impact as books, the battle was forgotten and it looked like Jon had reached a reasonable truce with Mance. Maybe foreknowledge changed the scene and siding with Mances logic

WARNING: "Book spoilers" spoilers below

Seems we have answers on other bits they've cut, some great aspects that flesh out the story and add colour - particularly Coldhands and Jojen Paste. But equally they've left life in the Gravedigger + Robert Strong theories.

Also, loved Mel burning Varymr's bird that seems lost, a lot like Renly's peach. Simple moments that add a lot

Interview with Martin on the final, and there are links at the bottom discussing other final details plus from the books...

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/16/ga...finale-martin/

My name's Bobby Peru, like the country.
I believe that LS will premier in the next season opening, sucks we didn't get to see that, i also believe the hound is not truly dead.

In the Beginning...
Pyro, your post feels a bit spoilery since you've called out some characters by name. Obviously, they're technically "theories," but I'd call at least one of them a true spoiler.

At any rate, some thoughts:

Originally Posted by PyroTramp
For the first time I'm kind of down with a show changing the story, Arya and Brienne seemed completely organic and served both characters arcs. Whether there'll be any butterfly effect, yet to see.
This was a bit of a gut-check for me. Obviously, there have been a few jarring changes this season. They've resolved these fairly well, I'll admit, but it was still weird to have Brienne and Arya meet. The more it unfolded, the more I liked it, however. It makes sense that Brienne would be the one to level The Hound. But I have to think Brienne would scour those hills looking for Arya till God knows when. She's not just going to say, "Oh well..." and ride off to the next plot point.

WARNING: "Glaring Omission in Brienne/Pod's Story" spoilers below
I really thought we were going to see Lady Stoneheart. I'm actually pretty stunned that it didn't happen. It was hinted at by several members of the cast (who are given the scripts), and Michelle Fairley was seen on this season's production. Really, I think we have to ask if we'll see her, not when.

I think it'll still happen, but the Brotherhood Without Banners was last seen during the middle of last season, so there's going to be an even bigger wait before wee see Beric Dondarrion and company again. Non-readers won't remember who those characters are. And they're largely irrelevant except in the runoff of the Red Wedding, the ramifications of which are quickly fading in the show. Who's to say how important Lady Stoneheart is, if it all, in the books to come?

Seems we have answers on other bits they've cut, some great aspects that flesh out the story and add colour - particularly Coldhands and Jojen Paste. But equally they've left life in...
WARNING: "Book 4/5" spoilers below
the Gravedigger + Robert Strong theories
I think it's safe to say Coldhands won't appear in the show. They have deliberately sidestepped his inclusion in multiple scenes, including the one last night. Unless he somehow becomes terribly important in the forthcoming books (I don't think he will), I can't imagine they'll put him in.

It bothers me that Jojen was dismissed like that. I do think the paste thing adds flavor (see what I did there?) and might be a bit more important than it currently appears. But hey, it's possible that it'll still happen.

Regarding the other two things you mention...

I think it's pretty clear that the Hound survives and appears as the Gravedigger later. Whether or not that's the end of his road, we don't know. If it is, then the show might never even allude to it, and just leave him "probably dead" in viewers' minds. But if the Gravedigger is something important, well then... they have certainly left it open for that.

As for the Mountain, it's no theory. He is Robert Strong, in some form or another. They practically came out and said it last night, much more clearly than in the books. And even then, I didn't see how there was any question. I have a friend who thinks Robert Strong is Brienne of Tarth, and I think he's an absolute moron. The Mountain is Robert Strong, so I have to think Robert Strong is officially a spoiler.

Also, loved Mel burning Varymr's bird that seems lost, a lot like Renly's peach. Simple moments that add a lot
I really thought we would see that owl from Episode 9 (the warg animal for the other Thenn) go up in flames as Stannis enters. That would have been a great scene, as I really loved the Varamyr scene in the book too. Awesome way to signal the arrival of Stannis' army.

In the Beginning...
Okay, so apparently here are some answers to the questions in my above post.

WARNING: SPOILERS! If you haven't read the books, do NOT click this link:

Game of Thrones: Why No... ?

WARNING: "The Above Article" spoilers below
So it seems my suspicions are perhaps right on. They believe Lady Stoneheart goes too far. It's curious that she was never considered for inclusion this season (really?), but it looks like perhaps we won't see her in the show at all. I can see why they feel her inclusion hurts the integrity of the story. But personally, I think it's one of those things that non-book readers would really balk at. The fantasy elements are starting to become more and more prevalent, and that's no accident.

Regarding the Mountain, I feared this would be the case. Sure, they might throw a Gravedigger in there at some point, and us book readers will point and shout at the TV. But it seems the Hound is finished, and they're content to leave it ambiguous. It's really a shame, as there's a certain irony in the fact that he's not a major character in the books, but they went to great lengths to develop him even further in the show. And then he's just gone, because apparently for the show's writers, it was only ever about Arya anyway. Eh, seems a bit disingenuous.

WARNING: "Books 3-5" spoilers below
Yeah, I definitely thought that was a possibility, given how many other supernatural elements they were shying away from in the earlygoing. I don't have a problem with it. I figure they figured that introducing TreeMan in the same episode as ZombieCat would really turn a lot of people off.

In fact, I think a really good way to figure out what's important and what isn't is by looking at what supernatural elements end up in the show. If something overtly supernatural makes it into the show, it's because it absolutely has to be there, because I don't think they'd include it otherwise.

When I first read the Epilogue to book 3, my mind was racing with some crazy theories. One in particular I really loved. But events since have ruled it out, and seem to have suggested that the story isn't going anywhere. Obviously the end of Book 5 means we'll see some more of this, but it already feels like the kind of thing that could be "given" to another character easily without disrupting too much.

In the Beginning...
You know, the more I think about it, though... it's a bit odd to cut out Lady Stoneheart on the pretense that it's "too fantasy-ish," but then have a little pixie girl throwing fireballs at skeletons. Obviously, one is not like the other, but I find myself wondering what people thought of that. It was stuck in the middle of the episode like it was no big deal, but it had to be a surprise for folks.

Needless to say, the Three-Eyed Raven bit was my favorite part of the episode. This show gets kind of taxing when it's all about the politics, all the time. This is not historical fiction. It's still very firmly rooted in the fantasy genre, so for me it's a lot of fun when they stretch their legs a little bit and let the magic (literally and figuratively) happen.

And come on, who didn't want to play Skyrim after that scene?

It makes more sense if...

...you assume the fantasy elements aren't binary, but cumulative. IE: people will tolerate one or two, but don't want to be awash in them. I dunno if that's right or wrong but I assume that's the logic.

But mainly, I just think it tells us a whole lot about where the story is headed. They know the basic outline of where things are going, so when they leave something like that out, it says a lot about how relevant it's gonna be. And it's clear that they're going to (wisely) cut out pretty much anything they don't really need at this point, to reign in the scope a little

A system of cells interlinked
What I meant was that Theon doesn't get enough screen time for me to care about the character, as is the same with the others I mentioned. He's maybe had a total of 10 minutes during this entire season, none of those scenes being impressive. You say 'supporting character', but in any other show, Theon wouldn't even be considered that.

I said nothing about my favourite characters; what I said was that the show as a whole would benefit of cutting some characters and focus more on character development. You would have perhaps noticed that, hadn't you been crying like a little schoolgirl about me saying something 'wrong' about your precious show.
My precious show? I'm not on the production crew for game of Thrones, so it isn't my show. Also, it seems like perhaps you missed some of the episodes, or you would have seen that Theon had much more than "10 minutes of screen time during the entire season," and in fact, he had more than that during just the second episode.

Sorry if I came across as a bit harsh, but my point still stands - maybe this show just isn't for you.

Im rewatching the final again, and making comments as I go along....

WARNING: "GoT Season 4 Finale" spoilers below
The first scene with Jon Snow walking from the Wall into the wilderness was beautifully shot. The dead giant laying in the snow was everything! Cute segway but its interesting that the Wildlings were gentler to Jon Snow entering their camp than the Hurons were to Hawkeye when entering their camp to parley in Last Of The Mohicans.

I think Mance would have convinced Jon Snow also, and Stannis' entrance was grand. They should have had Ygrette go White Walker suddenly on her funeral pyre just to give a scare to everyone, especially the readers. Poor Jon better watch out for the Red Woman as she has eyes for him Im sure the nights Watch commander and Stannis will get along famously having both graduated from HBU
(Hard Bastard University).

Ok whats up with The Mountain?! I heard he was supposed to have died a slow agonizing death from Oberyns poisoned spear. Theyre saving him and ....I dont know.....is he gonna be Frankenmountain now? Cersei says "Will it weaken him", and practitioner replies "Oh no" with a wry smile....It was like watching the origin of a comic book villain. With The Hound left for dead, but you dont see him die, Im thinking theyre tweaking the story for an eventual Hound/Mountain showdown.

Cesrsei tells her father Tywin that the rumors of her & Jaime are true. I dont know what I was expecting, it came off a little anti-climactic, but if his response was anything other than disbelief, or simply unable to process the truth it mightve been unauthentic. Charles Dance deserves an Emmy for his work in this series.

The Breaker Of Chains & Mother Of Dragons had to chain her dragons. Ironic yet fitting. You'd think though shed have given them a window to look out of or something.

Brans group made it to the tree, and whoa whoopsie daisey! No I was surprised by the skeletons big time, and Bran possessing Hodor has become an effective fight strategy. They placed the "giant" wolf away from the group very cleverly, and that saves some money on the CGI. Poor Jojen.

Brienne & Podrick find Arya & The Hound. To say that this delivered is an understatement. I was enjoying the exchange between Arya & Brienne, they looked like kindred spirits, and then The Hound waltzes in fresh from taking a dump. Theres something to be said about raw vulgarity, and Rory McCann has exceptional delivery.

Screw the Mountain vs The Viper, this fight was the nastiest in the entire series. The swordplay, the moments when one was clearly getting the best of the other, their grit and survival instincts devolved the fight into a display of sheer savagery.

Of course I was expecting Arya to kill the Hound, and dont know if it left it like this in the books. Again, I think the tv series is aiming for a Hound/Frankenmountain showdown.

Then the Tyrion storyline. So! Looks like Varys has more machinations going on and the stuff to follow thru than first believed. Not surprising if you think about it since his rival Littlefinger has killed a Hand, a King, and a Queen. I wasnt surprised Jaime would help rescue him, was surprised when Tyrion turned around rather than escape, but the biggest surprise was to come.

Dinklage absolutely killed-it with his murdering Shae in his fathers bed. Him saying "Im sorry. Im sorry." in shock from what he did. He sold it. An act that all the readers & viewers wouldnt think him capable of all hinged on his displaying a mental collapse thatd be believable. He might have won an emmy already, but he deserved it more for this season than any other.

Strange the final exchange of Tyrion and Tywin came on Fathers Day.

Now what? It looked like Varys went with Tyrion, and Im guessing its to Daenarys kingdom across the sea. Daenarys & Tyrion, now that would be a weird dynamic. The storylines are finally merging! Stannis has merged with the Nights Watch, Tyrions Im guessing will merge with Daenarys, and who the hell knows whats going to happen with Brans storyline. I hope we see more of the kingdom of the White Walkers next season.

This was the best season of the bunch, and I predict theres going to be some new scenarios set in place that may take some getting used to, I dont know. It will be great though

Pyro, your post feels a bit spoilery since you've called out some characters by name. Obviously, they're technically "theories," but I'd call at least one of them a true spoiler.
No more spoilery than citing any other future character?

Regarding the other two things you mention...

I think it's pretty clear that the Hound survives and appears as the Gravedigger later. Whether or not that's the end of his road, we don't know. If it is, then the show might never even allude to it, and just leave him "probably dead" in viewers' minds. But if the Gravedigger is something important, well then... they have certainly left it open for that.

As for the Mountain, it's no theory. He is Robert Strong, in some form or another. They practically came out and said it last night, much more clearly than in the books. And even then, I didn't see how there was any question. I have a friend who thinks Robert Strong is Brienne of Tarth, and I think he's an absolute moron. The Mountain is Robert Strong, so I have to think Robert Strong is officially a spoiler.
WARNING: "AFFC" spoilers below
Tonight definitely strongly supported it, I don't see how the poetry of using him as a champion against the Church and the Hound being seen with the Church can be missed to close their arcs

I really thought we would see that owl from Episode 9 (the warg animal for the other Thenn) go up in flames as Stannis enters. That would have been a great scene, as I really loved the Varamyr scene in the book too. Awesome way to signal the arrival of Stannis' army.
Rewatched Stannis' entrance, just seems like a dick move now. No chants either. Almost like Sir Lancelot from Holy Grail. Mance had justified his actions fairly then got ran down, the siege at the Wall's momentum didn't carry - would have been better last episode since it was one extended scene in the end. Screwed him again, this was meant to be turning point for making him a favourite.

Also, why did the skeleton wights fight fluidly and not like lumbering zombies as the others? Oh well, at least Tim the Enchanter was there. Bloodraven wasn't how imagined either, old man chilling in some roots, not part of a weir wood

I don't watch the show, nor have I read the novels. But this name generator was all over facebook today...

http://www.zimbio.com/generator/d_rN...s+Warrior+Name

Is this a good one?

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pike House.png
Views:	1484
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	15846  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Some questions to the readers...

Didnt The Mountain die definitively in book 4?

Did The Hound die too?

Will Ser Jorah Mormont pop up again?

and will Barristan Selmy ever whoop someones ass?! They keep talking how he's the greatest warrior in Westeros this, and the best swordsman in the realm that....is there ever a combat he gets involved in?

In the Beginning...
No more spoilery than citing any other future character?
I try to avoid doing that, too. Don't get me wrong, I don't wanna be the spoiler police or anything, I just remember when I was first reading the books and everybody was talking about the Red Wedding this, the Red Wedding that. It's not too difficult to put together what that means.

Characters aren't as inherently spoilery, but I know there are other folks out there like me who prefer to be surprised by the appearance of new characters, rather than constantly looking to connect the dots based on things you hear people say. Oberyn was a bit "spoiled" for me in that sense, but it was all Red Viper this, Red Viper that. When I finally got to him, my thought was, "Oh, so this is the guy," and so it wasn't as exciting.

Rewatched Stannis' entrance, just seems like a dick move now. No chants either. Almost like Sir Lancelot from Holy Grail. Mance had justified his actions fairly then got ran down, the siege at the Wall's momentum didn't carry - would have been better last episode since it was one extended scene in the end. Screwed him again, this was meant to be turning point for making him a favourite.
I agree with this. Something bothered me about the scene, but I couldn't really place why. I think you've hit the nail on the head. It was very by-the-numbers. Yes, Stannis sweeps in and defuses the Wildling army. But somehow, in the book it felt more heroic, more brazen, more necessary. Perhaps the conversation between Jon and Mance was more contentious, I don't remember.

Also, why did the skeleton wights fight fluidly and not like lumbering zombies as the others? Oh well, at least Tim the Enchanter was there. Bloodraven wasn't how imagined either, old man chilling in some roots, not part of a weir wood
I've always wondered why there were wights buried right outside the entrance to the Three-Eyed Raven's lair anyway. Are they just lying in wait there? For what? And since the TV show has now given the Children of the Forest the ability to throw fireballs, why didn't they just "clear off the porch," so to speak?

The visual appearance of both the Children of the Forest and the Three-Eyed Raven were a bit disappointing, I agree. I thought perhaps the Children of the Forest might have CGI elements, since they're more animal-like in the way they're described. The Three-Eyed Raven just kinda looked like Pycelle tangled up in some tree vines. I would have expected him to look much more weathered and partially decomposed, and maybe a bit more unique than just an old bearded man. (The fan art stuff hits the mark a little better.) He was also a bit too articulate, too. I was expecting a more "vacant automaton" delivery, but maybe that's just me.

In the Beginning...
EDIT: Whoa, did you delete your post, TONGO?

Viewer questions to readers...

Didnt The Mountain die definitively in book 4?
Depends on what you mean by "definitively."

When Qyburn is first given the Mountain, he's not really interested in saving him. He only wants to experiment on him while he's still living. I think the understanding among all is that the Mountain would be in agonizing pain as the poison ran its course, but eventually he would die. I believe Qyburn tells Cersei later on that the Mountain has died of his wounds, but that he has more work yet to do. It seems they've kinda skidded right over all of that and arrived right at "I'm transforming him into something."

Did The Hound die too?
*coughreadatyourownriskcough*

WARNING: "Book 4" spoilers below
There's a theory that Sandor Clegane is still living.

In the book, he is injured during the battle inside the inn (shown earlier this season). That's what does him in, and Arya leaves him to die. Many many chapters later, Brienne and Podrick pass through a coven, of sorts, for all these religious guys who have taken a vow of silence and are working the land. One of them speaks to them and tells them that he found Sandor Clegane, and that the Hound is dead.

However, Brienne glimpses a gravedigger among them who is an immense man, with a limp, and his face is covered. The theory is that while "the Hound" died, Sandor Clegane was saved and is living now as a simple gravedigger, perhaps in an attempt to save his soul.

Will Ser Jorah Mormont pop up again?
WARNING: "Ser Jorah" spoilers below
Yes.

and will Barristan Selmy ever whoop someones ass?! They keep talking how he's the greatest warrior in Westeros this, and the best swordsman in the realm that....is there ever a combat hes directly involved in?
There's one instance I can think of in the book, so... maybe? It all depends on how they adapt certain events in the show. Plus, while Barristan Selmy is a gifted swordsman, it's really a question of, "What can the actor do?"

EDIT: Whoa, did you delete your post, TONGO?
I did. I was reposting it hoping it didnt get lost in the shuffle, but you had already answered me and then my question box was after your answers Not a smooth moment.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
She's going to Braavos.
Ah,thanks,I thought she will go to The Wall because she wanted to go there ,he didn't want to go there and she showed him the coin...

In the Beginning...
Yeah, it was a bit unclear. Can't remember if she even asked to go to the Wall in the book. She got the Braavosi coin from Jaqen H'Gar way back in Season 2, so that's why she showed it to the Braavosi captain. Why she didn't just wait there in Saltpans for a boat that would take her to the Wall, I don't know. But in the book, I believe they made it fairly clear that she didn't really have money to go anywhere.