2022 Film Challenge

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Also answers to Jabba
Is sc-fi artificial life about robots or is genetic engineering good too?
My understanding is that it includes genetic engineering (clones, replicants etc) alongside robots, cyborgs and the like. If someone has a stricter definition please lay it here.

The trick is not minding
Will need some help with this category, as I don’t read often as I use to. And even then it was mostly horror and fantasy books, so I have no idea what movies were adapted from Postmodernist novel.

E. Never judge a book by its movie:
[Watch one film adapted from a novel belonging to each of the following literary eras]
1. a Victorian novel adaptation
2. a Romanticism novel adaptation
3. a Modernist novel adaptation
4. a Postmodernist novel adaptation

Any and all suggestions for each of them would be appreciated.

While we are at it, let’s pool our suggestions for category K-4.

Welcome to the human race...
I've just been Googling lists of novels and checking to see which ones have been adapted into films already. You can try using the ones I've selected if they're suitable.

As for suggestions, I'll just go with a random ten for now...

Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky
Son of the White Mare
Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters
Sorcerer
KIngs of the Road
A Chinese Ghost Story
Silence
Slacker
Repo Man
Vagabond

Some recommendations from me as well:

Neo Tokyo (Japanese animated anthology)
Robot Carnival (Japanese animated anthology)
Short Peace (Japanese animated anthology)
Lawnmower Man (Seriously, if you haven't seen it...)
The Congress
The Strange Color of your Body's Tears
Lair of the White Worm
Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County (Said to be the first found footage horror!)
Colossus, The Forbin Project
They Look Like People
Cult and Occult (2 Japanese horrors)
I Love You, I Love You
Banshee Chapter

For the Victorian novel, I'll try to find some adaptation of Frankenstein. Count of Monte Cristo and Les Misérables should fit the bill for romanticism, I believe.

For Postmodernism, the only one I know is The Naked Lunch, which, unfortch for me, I have seen. Very, very strong recommendation for it though. It's an A+.

Interesting categories--don't know which to choose from yet.

Also answers to Jabba
As far as postmodern novels are concerned, the following prominent novels have had film adaptations:
Catch-22
On the Road
Slaughterhouse-Five
Naked Lunch
A Clockwork Orange
Blow-up and Other Stories
In Cold Blood
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (aka Blade Runner)
The French Lieutenant's Woman
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Midnight's Children
Crash (the 1996 film version)
A Scanner Darkly
The Name of the Rose
The Handmaid's Tale
Satatango
American Psycho
Blindness
Cloud Atlas
Inherent Vice
Never Let Me Go
Ready Player One
...among others

Hope this helps

Some films I'd recommend for K4 (According to JustWatch, here's where to find them):

Redwood Highway (Prime/Tubi)
A Coffee in Berlin (Tubi/Kanopy)
The Retrieval (Vudu/Kanopy)
Deceptive Practice: The Mysteries and Mentors of Ricky Jay (Vudu/Hoopla/Kanopy)
Tim's Vermeer (Available for Rental)
Priceless (2006) (Prime/Hoopla/Kanopy/Tubi/Vudu)
Singham (Netflix)
Last Train Home (Kanopy/FilmRise)
Confessions (Not Streaming Anywhere Right Now)
Abacus: Small Enough to Jail (Kanopy)
Whose Streets? (Netflix/Roku/Kanopy)
Spider Thieves (Kanopy)
The Workshop (Kanopy)
Wrestle (Kanopy)
The Signal (2008) (Prime/Tubi/Vudu/Kanopy)
Killer Diller (Not Streaming Anywhere Right Now)
Go For Zucker (Kanopy)

In a few cases, it's not available anywhere right now. But you know what they say about here today, gone tomorrow on streaming/TV? The opposite is true as well. I gave all of these a minimum of 3 stars out of 4 and hope you like them as well.

Going with Naked Lunch.
Now: Victorian and romanticism shouldn’t be hard. Need some help with modernism, however.
One of my favorite films of all time is Orlando with Tilda Swinton, based on Woolf's novel of the same name. (The novel is also great!). It is streaming on Prime Video.

The trick is not minding
One of my favorite films of all time is Orlando with Tilda Swinton, based on Woolf's novel of the same name. (The novel is also great!). It is streaming on Prime Video.
That’s romanticism, right?
I’ve been meaning to watch that for a long time.

I remember watching it as a Blockbuster rental in the 2nd Age of Man. Apparently, it didn't make a dent. I can't remember anything else about it.

The trick is not minding
I remember watching it as a Blockbuster rental in the 2nd Age of Man. Apparently, it didn't make a dent. I can't remember anything else about it.
Hm. Noted.*
Still worth a watch, regardless if I enjoy it or not.
Side note: I miss Blockbuster and the era of renting my movies. I mostly rented from Hollywood Video, however, even if Blockbuster had the larger selection.

I would consider it modernist, as I would most of Woolf's work. I mean, it is romantic. But it's romantic, not Romantic.

The trick is not minding
I would consider it modernist, as I would most of Woolf's work. I mean, it is romantic. But it's romantic, not Romantic.
Thanks. I’ll take your word for it, since I’m not as well versed in books.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
LOOOVE that movie. Such visually poetic brilliance.
I nominated it in the Woman Director HoF should ya care for others MoFos' input, Wylde

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
SUHWEET!!
I think I may just grab a lot of the ones I missed and transfer them over to better my chances of actually finishing this year. lol

Like others, I LOVE the choices, and I'll try to think up some suggestions for others as well.

Thanks, @Jabs!! for this and for the list of novels. Have seen most of them and will look over what I haven't.
I also will confirm that Naked Lunch IS A+.

I have a preliminary watchlist with a few from last year and will find spots for more, I'm going with the Fifties for my Decade and Italy for the Country and will be taking the Silk Road, and for MoFo List: AFI's 100 Years... 100 Passions. Unsure of Director, though tempted to stick with Fritz Lang since I only did two of his, but unsure presently. With a new year, I may go with a new path as it were.
EDIT And I have. Filled my ten for Joseph L. Mankiewicz and pretty excited about it.

Watchlist
Watched

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode