American Idol...you know you are watching!

Tools    

Put me in your pocket...
Chris was amazing. As of tonight....he's it for me (in terms of the guys). I already voted.

thmilin...you're welcome. Are you going to post more write ups?
What did you think of Melissa?

Female assassin extraordinaire.
didn't watch yesterday, have it dvr-d and will watch soon!

mm, chris. men with strong brows, good nose, nice lips ... bald head ... always make me happy.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
i don't remember his name, but the guy with the long blonde hair, he was one of the last ones to perform...he was the best tonight.

Originally Posted by ash_is_the_gal
i don't remember his name, but the guy with the long blonde hair, he was one of the last ones to perform...he was the best tonight.
Buckey or something like that. Yes, he's not bad. He'd make a good duo with the little country blonde girl.

I think Sinatra Man needs to go. The short bald headed guy was better than the judges said.

The girls won the first week. The guys won this week.
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by thmilin
mm, chris. men with strong brows, good nose, nice lips ... bald head ... always make me happy.

You forgot about those wonderfully soulful eyes!

Twain...I think all the men should go.......except for Chris.

the blonde haired dude wishes he were kurt cobain.

yeah, the eyes. but you only notice the eyes cuz of the BROWS. mmm.

Did one of them attempt to do a Pearl Jam song? There was something about it on CNN this morning but I didn't see what the guy looked like… just heard him…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Did one of them attempt to do a Pearl Jam song? There was something about it on CNN this morning but I didn't see what the guy looked like… just heard him…
Chris Daughtry did an awsome version of "Hemmorage" by Fuel.

I havent been watching much, but hes from my Home state so I tuned in.

Im expecting , even though I think hes the best of all the performers, he wont make it. simply because of the older crowd that votes wont like the music he selects. I wish they would split american idol into different Genres of music.

www.panicattic.com - Check out the Q&A from Ethan Dettenmaier , director of Sin-Jin Smyth

Originally Posted by nyabzns
simply because of the older crowd that votes wont like the music he selects.
I'm part of the "older crowd" but I get tired of these kids doing songs from 30 and 40 years ago. They should be doing contemporary music. Maybe that's a problem with copyright or something.

I really enjoyed Chris's performance. Even though I'm not familiar with Fuel. He was doing a song that "speaks to him," not his grandfather.

Maybe that's why I liked Rock Star: INXS. Some of the songs were older but they were great songs that still appealed to the young performers. Seeing a guy in his 20s do a Pink Floyd song from the 70s (and do it well) brought a tear to my eye.

Originally Posted by Caitlyn

I don't think anyone did a Pearl Jam song, I would have recognized it. But yeah Chris did a Fuel song, and an awesome job of it even though I dislike that song as it is done by Fuel. I'd much rather here him sing it than the dude from Fuel

hot off the DVR ... the GIRLS! (nope haven't had a chance to watch the boys yet) ...

dude, y'all are right - the girls were OFF so the boys musta been better. i don't know what the heck was going on but they were picking boring, depressing, outdated, overdone songs that just were awful for each of them.

main example - katharine, the one i think will probably win based on demographics, sang like crap. i don't know what she was doing, but compared to knowing what she was doing the week earlier, she must have forgotten who she was or something. SHE should have sung that Pickler girl's song, "Somethin to talk about" - she would have given it the element of sexy, devil may care that song needs.

mandisa rose from my "not likely to get far" list - not that she doesn't have talent but when she blows her tone becomes very sharp and she loses depths to her notes. when i say depth, i mean every note should sound round and full - she gets high in her head/nose and the notes lose that fullness. she's technically hitting the notes but i just don't feel it. for example the "cry a little song" - lost a LOT in terms of melody simply because of how she stretched it so hard. it's like a ferrari trying to take a sharp turn - you need to ease up on that baby, not rip it, or you fly off at high speeds. she's got a lot of power in that voice and does not seem to know how to caress with it. power does not a great singer make. but if she can learn to control that - she can keep to the top 5.

paris was hilarious. little kid trying to "feel" the music. did you see her wiping away tears? that song is meant for her in church (along with her arm gestures), or in private, and not meant to be sung in public until she's at least 30. good lord. i love the Divine Bette Midler but come on. 16 yr olds do NOT sing Bette. Good heavens. I'm surprised she even knew that song. she must have seen "Beaches" recently on Lifetime.

as for the rest - whatever. it's mandisa, katharine, and paris. the rest are bye-bye.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
i personally wish they would do more fast songs...everyone seems to be doing slow songs...i think it would make such a difference in their performances if they picked a few more upbeat numbers...doing it slow and serious doesn't necessarily make it better!

i agree with ash. Though some of the songs they sing are nice, they need to get away from Stevie Wonder, Jackson 5 and Mariah Carrey music. Try for some Pink Floyd or Beatles even, if they want to go 60s 70s. Or else 80s or 90s music like Cyndi Lauper or Nirvana lol. Enough of this easy listening bullsh*t. They should aim the music at people their own age. Do 20 year olds listen to Stevie Wonder or Jackson 5? Not likely. Even some eminem might be a nice change lol.

as for the rest - whatever. it's mandisa, katharine, and paris. the rest are bye-bye.
I think Lisa Tucker will be in that final three. She was on Star Search a few years ago and was amazing. For some reason, AI never mentions her Star Search appearance.

Until I heard Katherine, I thought it was a done deal that Lisa would win. She's more pro than amateur. And she seems like a genuinely nice girl without a huge ego to match her talent.

Unless one of them self destructs, it's Lisa and Katherine as the final two girls.

ooooh, i beg to differ *warrior stance*

she may have been on star search , but she is ... how shall we put it ... green? she, too, is likeable, but her likability pales in comparison to say, the Pickler girl. She can also sing, but her singing is forgettable, comparied to say, Paris/Katharine/Mandisa.

she is more forgettable than Brenna, even though her singing is better, an Brenna annoys everyone.

basically, she has no fire, no spark, no charm. she is very, very basic. so unless she develops some fabulous charisma, picks awesome songs, hits all her notes without a mistake, and figures out how to use the stage when she's on it - she's a MAYBE for the top 5.

UPDATE - Star Search is also known for being schlocky, hokey, campy, and folksy. American Idol is going for a whooole different ballgame. That's why everyone was annoyed with the girls' songs this week, and I think Lisa's is a prime example of a bad song choice. On Star Search, that song would have gotten her props. On American Idol? No dice.

How much influence do you guys and girls think that the judges have on who America votes? I have noticed this year that the voting audience have been quite influenced by Simon's comments. I notice it more this year than any other year. Has anyone else noticed this at all? Randy, Simon, Paula and Ryan all say that they have little influence but I kinda see a pattern developing, unless this is all coincidence.

she may have been on star search , but she is ... how shall we put it ... green? she, too, is likeable, but her likability pales in comparison to say, the Pickler girl. She can also sing, but her singing is forgettable, comparied to say, Paris/Katharine/Mandisa.
There's no guarantee how the viewers will vote but IMO, Lisa is one of the most talented. She didn't choose a good song last week (nor did Katherine) but if those two pick good songs... watch out! The other girls are just along for the ride.

David

Originally Posted by Twain
I'm part of the "older crowd" but I get tired of these kids doing songs from 30 and 40 years ago. They should be doing contemporary music. Maybe that's a problem with copyright or something.

I really enjoyed Chris's performance. Even though I'm not familiar with Fuel. He was doing a song that "speaks to him," not his grandfather.

Maybe that's why I liked Rock Star: INXS. Some of the songs were older but they were great songs that still appealed to the young performers. Seeing a guy in his 20s do a Pink Floyd song from the 70s (and do it well) brought a tear to my eye.
Hope I didnt offend. Heck, some may say Im part of that older crowd. Ok Im 36, so not that old. In my mind it seems that a lot of older people like country music, over rock n roll. So, I wonder if they would actually vote for Chris based on his talent, rather than what they like or dont like. Did that make sense ?
Ive seen Fuel do that song live in concert, and Chris's performance was excellent.

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by nyabzns
Hope I didnt offend. Heck, some may say Im part of that older crowd. Ok Im 36, so not that old. In my mind it seems that a lot of older people like country music, over rock n roll. So, I wonder if they would actually vote for Chris based on his talent, rather than what they like or dont like. Did that make sense ?
Ive seen Fuel do that song live in concert, and Chris's performance was excellent.
I don't agree with you that 'older people like country music, over rock n roll.' I'm 45, have never heard of Fuel or that song Chris sang before Wednesday night...and I loved him and voted for him. Look at Bo Bice last year....who'd have thought at this stage of the competition that he would have gone as far as he did. I loved him too. I hated Constanine though...and is wasn't because of the Rock n' Roll songs.

I think there's a huge age range that watches from Grandparents to kids because it's become the type of show that families come together to watch and talk about. It really depends on who really is voting. My mom watches but doesn't vote...and it's a good thing. If she had her way Bo would have been gone earlier. She couldn't get past his hair to really listen to his voice...Hmmmm...I haven't asked her about Chris's hair yet.

Gummo...yes, I think the judges do have some influence on the audience. I've been agreeing with Simon alot lately. I think it's sort of an affirmation of what you might be thinking about a contestant and comfortable with your opinion. Just my thoughts though.