B&W, newlyweds, creepy basement bride, insanity

Tools    

Someone on another site is looking for this, and I'm reposting it here because it sounds familiar but I don't know what it is either, and I've searched for it to no avail, and it's starting to drive me crazy!!! Thanks in advance.

Here's their description:

Made – best guess, late 1940’s early 1950’s

Viewed – mostly likely, the late 1970s; NJ; WPIX (channel 11); Saturday “Matinee” tv.

Description:

Mystery/Haunted House/Romance

B&W (possibly filmed in color, but viewed on a B&W tv).

Male narrator introduces story, describes the sprawling ancestral home he’s bringing his young bride home to, despite strong advice from various family members*not*to do so – that somehow, living in the house drives the women who inhabit it “mad”. The young couple cheerfully disregard these notions as sentimental, superstitious nonsense.

Notable Scenes:

At one point, the young bride goes into the basement – a vast space, filled with generations’ worth of oddities, heirlooms, old furniture, wine barrels, etc. She wanders about, pushing great sheets of spider webs away, when she*hears*something… Eventually, a spectral figure appears – a moaning woman clothed in a moth-eaten wedding gown and veil who, with arms outstretched “Frankenstein” style, shambles toward the younger woman. The latter (of course) trips and falls as she seeks desperate escape. Her cries alert her young husband, who saves her, but dismisses the incident his wife describes as “hysterical” nonsense.

The final scene takes place many years later. The man and wife are elderly, now, and have lived their entire lives in the house. The man continues to narrate their story/experience. It’s a stormy night, with thunder and lightning flashing outside the tall windows of the couple’s bedroom… A bolt of lightning lights up the bedroom, illuminates the shadow of the woman – we see her in profiled silhouette, sitting bolt upright up in bed, blankets pulled over her legs up to her waist… Her hair is a wild nimbus about her head… The last piece of narration her husband gives is that they should have heeded the warnings they were given so many years ago… and that soon, he’ll have to “put her in the basement, too”.

Here's a link to their thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/tipofmytong...ut_her_in_the/

Someone on another site is looking for this, and I'm reposting it here because it sounds familiar but I don't know what it is either, and I've searched for it to no avail, and it's starting to drive me crazy!!! Thanks in advance.

Here's their description:

Made – best guess, late 1940’s early 1950’s

Viewed – mostly likely, the late 1970s; NJ; WPIX (channel 11); Saturday “Matinee” tv.

Description:

Mystery/Haunted House/Romance

B&W (possibly filmed in color, but viewed on a B&W tv).

Male narrator introduces story, describes the sprawling ancestral home he’s bringing his young bride home to, despite strong advice from various family members*not*to do so – that somehow, living in the house drives the women who inhabit it “mad”. The young couple cheerfully disregard these notions as sentimental, superstitious nonsense.

Notable Scenes:

At one point, the young bride goes into the basement – a vast space, filled with generations’ worth of oddities, heirlooms, old furniture, wine barrels, etc. She wanders about, pushing great sheets of spider webs away, when she*hears*something… Eventually, a spectral figure appears – a moaning woman clothed in a moth-eaten wedding gown and veil who, with arms outstretched “Frankenstein” style, shambles toward the younger woman. The latter (of course) trips and falls as she seeks desperate escape. Her cries alert her young husband, who saves her, but dismisses the incident his wife describes as “hysterical” nonsense.

The final scene takes place many years later. The man and wife are elderly, now, and have lived their entire lives in the house. The man continues to narrate their story/experience. It’s a stormy night, with thunder and lightning flashing outside the tall windows of the couple’s bedroom… A bolt of lightning lights up the bedroom, illuminates the shadow of the woman – we see her in profiled silhouette, sitting bolt upright up in bed, blankets pulled over her legs up to her waist… Her hair is a wild nimbus about her head… The last piece of narration her husband gives is that they should have heeded the warnings they were given so many years ago… and that soon, he’ll have to “put her in the basement, too”.

Here's a link to their thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/tipofmytong...ut_her_in_the/
I've been to the reddit thread and I agree with the poster that suggested an anthology TV series. That's the vibe I'm getting anyway. If it's a movie, I haven't seen it.

This sounds like one of those Roger Corman/American International films. It does have elements from House of Usher and Tales of Terror. And there was an old anthology series hosted by Boris Karloff called Thriller. But these were all early 60's productions.

Not everything matches, but I think it’s worth checking out Arsenic and Old Lace (1944).

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0036613/

There are some plot elements that fit, but I think there are too many dissimilarities for Arsenic & Old lace to be the one. Thank you, though!

I've been to the reddit thread and I agree with the poster that suggested an anthology TV series. That's the vibe I'm getting anyway. If it's a movie, I haven't seen it.

I get that same vibe, mostly because of what seems like a thin plot and also the surprise ending. Either an episode or maybe a short older film (similar to the Inner Sanctum films or the Whistler films).

But I looked through a lot of plot descriptions, and the only ones that seemed to fit didn't line up when I checked out the actual movie.

This is why I had asked if the plot that was outlined is the main storyline or a subplot (they said it's the main storyline). I was thinking maybe the plot summary highlights some other plot point.

Thanks!

This sounds like one of those Roger Corman/American International films. It does have elements from House of Usher and Tales of Terror. And there was an old anthology series hosted by Boris Karloff called Thriller. But these were all early 60's productions.

Even though the person who put the post on Reddit said 40s/early 50s, I think early 60s could be a possibility. That's more like what I remember being shown on Saturday afternoons back then in the NY/NJ area.

The Thriller series is a good suggestion. I personally don't remember anything like what the OP on Reddit describes happening on Thriller, but it's been a while since I've seen some of those episodes and there are some I really don't remember it at all. I looked through a list of the episodes, and there are only a handful that seem even remotely possible, so I will see if I can find them online to check out.

Thank you!

Thank you all for responding! I have become obsessed with this film/episode/whatever for some reason.

Also -- my initial thought was an episode of One Step Beyond, since many of those episodes dealt with a premonition of the future, and I was thinking that the bride in the basement might have been a vision of the new wife's future self. But again, I could find anything that seemed to match closely enough just going by the plot summaries.

I get that same vibe, mostly because of what seems like a thin plot and also the surprise ending. Either an episode or maybe a short older film (similar to the Inner Sanctum films or the Whistler films).
My thoughts exactly. If you figure it out, please post an update. Sounds like something I'd like.

My thoughts exactly. If you figure it out, please post an update. Sounds like something I'd like.

I definitely will!

Thanks!