You Ever Walk Out of the Theater?

Tools    

Torgo has been surviving on a diet of nachos, Sno-Caps and root beer for 30 years and now weighs 600 lbs.
It was sooo worth it.

(Uh...don't ask how I'd know about the internet. Just go with it).

Rollerball was the first I remember. I was still somewhat of a pro wrestling fan and I remember some WWE guys being in it and wanting to go check it out. Needless to say it was terrible and I left after maybe 20 minutes.

Batman & Robin was my first theater experience i recall asking myself "why am I not enjoying this?", but I didn't leave.

Rollerball was the first I remember. I was still somewhat of a pro wrestling fan and I remember some WWE guys being in it and wanting to go check it out. Needless to say it was terrible and I left after maybe 20 minutes...
I shut that movie off after only 15 minutes, what took you so long

The truth is in here
I've never walked out on a movie, no matter what. I just can't stand having a full opinion on something! That being said, I've never felt a bigger urge to leave than when I watched the 2015 remake of Point Break. I was squirming in my seat and said to an audience member next to me it was like sitting in the electric chair. Absolutely horrible experience.

Rollerball was the first I remember. I was still somewhat of a pro wrestling fan and I remember some WWE guys being in it and wanting to go check it out. Needless to say it was terrible and I left after maybe 20 minutes.
Can't blame you. I consider the 1975 original something of a masterpiece of underrated sci-fi socio-political satire, but the remake was an unnecessary bastardization and was just down right awful. (It's sad they shared the same title and now reference to the original has to be qualified as not being the remake.)

It has my vote for "Most 70's Film Ever Made" they were working so hard to be "futuristic" that they landed exactly on the tackiest things their own time had to offer.

Yup, just did a few weeks ago with The Woman King. I also did it with Kingdom of Heaven years ago.

It has my vote for "Most 70's Film Ever Made" they were working so hard to be "futuristic" that they landed exactly on the tackiest things their own time had to offer.
You'll have to talk to Captain Steel about that, he's a fan of the original Rollerball. I was referencing the remake, pretty sure John W C. was too.

Yup, just did a few weeks ago with The Woman King. I also did it with Kingdom of Heaven years ago.
Did you get your money back? Or is that a myth that the theaters will refund people's money who walk out?

I would agree with that about the original - and that fact now contributes to it being a cult classic. I'd submit Logan's Run as another 70's sci-fi that unloaded tons of the tackiest things from the 70's (but is still both a classic sci-fi film and a cult classic).

Did you walk out of The Woman King due to its quality as a movie or because you knew going in that it was presenting a false history (actually one directly opposite to the truth)?

I also did it with Kingdom of Heaven years ago.
I haven't seen the theatrical cut, but the director's cut is one of my favorite movies. You might like it more.

The truth is in here
Rollerball isn't perfect, but it has a certain charm and James Caan gives a great performance. Haven't heard good things about the remake. Why did John McTiernan decide to take on the project?

The original Rollerball (to me anyway) is a movie that gets deeper every time I see it.

It was made when I was 10, so my first viewing of it was as a young teen - I absolutely hated all the parts in between the action scenes. At that age I would've told you that all the boring, talking parts ruined what otherwise would have been a cool movie.

The older I got, the more I picked up from all that "boring" stuff (everything that took place outside the arena) - which basically was the plot BEHIND the sci-fi action sports film.

As a dystopian future sci-fi, it's actually very prophetic as we have moved much closer to Corptocracies running the world - the only real difference is governments still where the masks of political regimes as a façade to hide the fact that corporations, tech companies and money control their puppet politicians.

The Rollerball remake was utter trash that apparently did not understand the movie it was based on.

Corptocracies running the world - the only real difference is governments still where the masks of political regimes as a façade to hide the fact that corporations, tech companies and money control their puppet politicians.

What Rollerball didn't quite get was that there is no reason why corporations would want to be "officially" in charge. Outsource costs to the taxpaying citizen and leave them with the veneer of legitimate representation. Have them blame themselves. "Don't like your government? Vote for better representatives!" "Stop hitting yourself!" One hand washes the other. It's either Republican or Democrat (what a choice!) It's either democracy (you chose it!) or the free market deciding (build your own!). In actuality, it's a Punch and Judy show.

That I distinctly remember, just one time. Went with a group of 8 to 10 friends and we chose Out of Sight, but as the film went on, the group wasn't really feeling all the time cuts and twists. I was enjoying it, but when they insisted on leaving, I went on with them. We chose Six Days, Seven Nights which I guess was a more appropriate film for a group of 8 to 10 friends just wanting to have fun on a weekend night. I rented Out of Sight later as it went out on video, and loved it.

Thus far I've never walked in one without subsequently walking out tbh .... but the wife and I both decided to cut and run from Lost In Translation when we went to see it at the cinema, it just wasn't doing anything for either of us. Didn't think much of Ms. Coppola's The Bling Ring either (on the small screen this time and did at least manage to see it through) so I've never really felt any urge to revisit it.