Favorite Comedies of the 21st Century?

Tools    

Master of My Domain
Even though I'm a fan of Snatch, I wouldn't really call it a "comedy".

Only Hot Fuzz and Kick Ass part 1!

20 posts and not even one mention of Snatch?

Shame on you!!!
Maybe coz it was 2000!

20 posts and not even one mention of Snatch?

Shame on you!!!
Well it's **** and not a comedy. Otherwise, it's fits right in.

Time to once again flaunt my terrible sense of humor.

Gentlemen Broncos
Wet Hot American Summer
Nacho Libre
Death to Smoochy (though I have to admit it's kind of hard for me to watch in the same way since Robin Williams died)
Wanderlust
Scary Movie 1&2
Shanghai Knights
The Trip
What We Do In the Shadows
Worlds End, Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead
Napoleon Dynamite

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Well it's **** and not a comedy. Otherwise, it's fits right in.
Should I use the IMDb argument? xD
What does a movie need to be a comedy?

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch

Mean Girls (I swear I can quote the vast majority of this film )

Bridesmaids (I think Oscar recognition was a bit of a stretch, but I still utterly adored this film!)

The Room (what a gem )

Easy A (I actually liked this a lot more than I thought I initially would!)

Hot Fuzz (Didn't think it would be particularly good considering the title, but it was hilarious )

It's not a film either, but did anyone catch Summer Heights High the Australian comedy? With the over dramatic teacher, and the extremely bitchy student Ja'Mie? Genuinely one of the best comedies film or otherwise I have ever seen

Time to once again flaunt my terrible sense of humor.

Gentlemen Broncos
Wet Hot American Summer
Nacho Libre
Death to Smoochy (though I have to admit it's kind of hard for me to watch in the same way since Robin Williams died)
Wanderlust
Scary Movie 1&2
Shanghai Knights
The Trip
What We Do In the Shadows
Worlds End, Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead
Napoleon Dynamite
Nacho Libre made my list of the worst comedies ever made. Love Death to Smoochy though...Edward Norton pretty much steals the show.

A couple of favorite comedies from the century would be OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies (the sequel wasn't nearly as good) and Best in Show. I can't stand any movie associated with Judd Apatow or Seth Rogen (though I did like Paul well enough, but that almost doesn't count).

I cannot believe i mentioned Shaun of the Dead but forgot Hot Fuzz, that movie is incredible. I like The World's End as well but it definitely is the weakest of the Cornetto Trilogy for me.

Also gotta say I liked Dodgeball a lot as well. Idky I just get a kick out of Ben Stiller movies.

I only saw it because I'm a sucker for the films it was parodying. I thought I'd like it somewhat, but I was surprised by just how much I liked it. I saw Black Dynamite for the same reason, though there wasn't a doubt in my mind that I'd love it.

I think it has been a pretty great time for comedy during the last fifteen years. There have been some brilliant, refreshing and even revolutionary TV series and stand-up acts for instance, but I'm missing that a little in cinema personally.

Still, here are some (not all) of my favorite comic films made between 2000 and 2015:

Edgar Wright's films
Richard Ayoade's films
Wes Anderson's films
Alexander Payne's films
Coen Brothers films

From these five, Edgar Wright probably makes the "purest" comedies. I think he's especially interesting because he understands how to put in as many jokes as possible in the most creative ways (both visually and script-wise). The main purpose of his films are fun and entertainment (of course there are always other levels, but I genuinely believe that's his main goal when he makes a film) and comedy is one of his main weapons to reach that.

Inherent Vice (2014)
Birdman (2014)
Idiots and Angels (2008)
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (2002)
The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
Midnight in Paris (2011)
The Artist (2011)

I'd argue that the drama in the above films is probably more "prevalent" than the comedy, but the humor in all of these semi-comic films still works especially well for me, so I wanted to list them here as well.

These four are the best "pure comedies" I've seen in the last fifteen years (not directed by any of the directors mentioned above):

Punch-Drunk Love (2002) - A very atmospheric film with some outrageous bits that are believable and absurd at the same time, which makes them of course very effective on a comedy level.

Bad Santa (2003) - Way over the top and batsh*t crazy, but it leans on a great script and one of the best deadpan acting performances of all time.

Team America: World Police (2004) - I don't think I have to explain the greatness of this film's comedy to anyone with a sense of humor.

Borat (2006) - The reason why this film works so well, is because it's so extremely daring. Its willingness to confront reality with truly outrageous stuff is admirable and the reactions that result from it are often masterfully hilarious.

I'm not a Jack Black fan or anything, but...

High Fidelity (2000)
Shallow Hal (2001)
School of Rock (2003)
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004)
Walk Hard (2007)
Year One (2009)

I particularly like "Shallow Hal."