Roger Ebert dead at 70.

Tools    

This sucks. There isn't another movie reviewer I've grown to trust. When a new movie comes out, I usually go to Roger Ebert's website to find out what he scored it. Now I don't have that anymore!

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Roger Ebert was the only critic I read with any regularity and the only one I ever cared about their opinion. It sucks not to have that anymore. I guess for that reason, I feel his loss more than I did any actor or director who has died.

Roger Ebert's death doesn't feel particularly sad to me -- he suffered before dying, he looked horrible, he wrote his autobiography and said he was ready for death whenever it came and he knew it was coming. I didn't think he'd die this soon, but it happened and we all die and that's that. I can't say he's the worst celebrity death, yet -- I'm not sure who that actually is for me.

Dare I say probably Michael Jackson? I grew up with him. Second place is probably Heath Ledger just because he was young and cute and I enjoyed him as an actor. I'd give Roger Ebert third place. He has lived a long, full life, and he will probably be the MOST missed, because you could depend on new Ebert reviews all the time, but he suffered and now he doesn't have to anymore. Life can be wonderful and great people shouldn't have to go, but Ebert no longer has to endure living every day with that mangled face (even though he said he didn't care) and he doesn't have to stick around for more cancer. He won't get to watch anymore movies, but he knew that would be the case when he died, as it is for everyone.

Ebert was, to me, a kind of bridge between casual filmgoers and movie snobs. He was worldly and intelligent, articulate and passionate, sarcastic and playful. I have read so much of his writing about film over the years, and I often did so just for the fun of it.

He could anger me, make me laugh, give me pause to think more carefully. He cared about movies and that showed in every review. He was, is, and will always be an icon.

Rest in Peace, Roger Ebert.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

I am the Watcher in the Night
I never saw any of Ebert's shows since I'm in the UK and only occasional caught a couple of clips on youtube but I have read some of his movie reviews and while I may not always agree, he wrote so well with such passion for cinema that it was hard not to admire him.

RIP Mr Ebert

I think it's depressing. Such a drastic change right after he died. So white.
Well, he mentioned it in his "Leave of presence" statement.

For now, I am throwing myself into Ebert Digital and the redesigned, highly interactive and searchable Rogerebert.com. You'll learn more about its exciting new features on April 9 when the site is launched. In addition to housing an archive of more than 10,000 of my reviews dating back to 1967 we will also feature reviews written by other critics.

You know, I think it's so strange that he died two days after making that announcement. There's something fishy about it with me. I kept wondering what on earth actually caused him to just die like that. All I could find was this:

According to his wife Chaz, "We were getting ready to go home today for hospice care, when he [Ebert] looked at us, smiled, and passed away."
He just suddenly died on them?

Here's what I'm thinking -- he found out he had cancer again, right?

What if Roger Ebert found a doctor or something who helped him with assisted suicide? I could totally imagine Roger Ebert doing such a thing. It's a progressive act and maybe Roger just wanted to end it all rather than suffer through more cancer treatments and such. Maybe his cancer diagnosis was terminal.

Thoughts?

You can be a proper idiot from time to time. That's the first thought that popped up.

You can be a proper idiot from time to time. That's the first thought that popped up.
That's fine. There's no free will - we're not in control of our thoughts.

What if Roger Ebert found a doctor or something who helped him with assisted suicide? I could totally imagine Roger Ebert doing such a thing. It's a progressive act and maybe Roger just wanted to end it all rather than suffer through more cancer treatments and such. Maybe his cancer diagnosis was terminal.

Thoughts?
I'm going to reply to this seriously, wasn't Roger Ebert a devoted Catholic? And I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they consider suicide a very serious sin and anyone extremely religious would likely be against such an action.

I'm going to take reply to this seriously, wasn't Roger Ebert a devoted Catholic? And I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they consider suicide a very serious sin and anyone extremely religious would likely be against such an action.
Roger Ebert may have been raised a Catholic, but the way he spoke, I think he was an atheist or an agnostic or something. I think he said he was agnostic.

Oh, okay - here's what he says: Roger Ebert: How I Believe In God

Maybe he didn't end his life through assisted suicide. But I couldn't help wonder if he did. Secretly. That just goes to show that I think Roger Ebert was more ahead of his time, because I believe that he could understand people who would want to do it.

I'm going to reply to this seriously, wasn't Roger Ebert a devoted Catholic? And I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they consider suicide a very serious sin and anyone extremely religious would likely be against such an action.
He wasn't, no. From his Wiki page:

Discussing his belief system in 2009, he wrote that he did not "want to provide a category for people to apply to [him]" because he "would not want [his] convictions reduced to a word", and stated, "I have never said, although readers have freely informed me I am an atheist, an agnostic, or at the very least a secular humanist – which I am". In the same blog entry, he also said "I am not a believer, not an atheist, not an agnostic. I am still awake at night, asking how? I am more content with the question than I would be with an answer."
The "theory" is still hooey, though. The tinfoil hat suits you, Sexy.

People like Brodinski, though, aren't ahead of their time, 'cause they're still stuck on the elementary school playground being a bully.

Roger Ebert may have been raised a Catholic, but the way he spoke, I think he was an atheist or an agnostic or something. I think he said he was agnostic.

Oh, okay - here's what he says: Roger Ebert: How I Believe In God

Maybe he didn't end his life through assisted suicide. But I couldn't help wonder if he did. Secretly. That just goes to show that I think Roger Ebert was more ahead of his time, because I believe that he could understand people who would want to do it.
Fair enough (and cheers Skepsis, too), I thought he was a Catholic for some reason because I'm sure in his book about Scorsese which I have he writes something like 'Scorsese told me he believes he would go to hell for his multiple marriages, and as a fellow catholic I believe him', maybe I'm remembering it wrong or he said because he was raised one, I'll have to check exactly what it was he said